Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Cherryfudge the pear and mincemeat tarts sound yummy,Im with you on the kale,I toss it in oil sprinkle it with a bit of salt and sugar and bake it in the oven it tastes like crispy seaweed from the Chinese
    I hope you aren't coming down with a lurgy there are some horrible ones about
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The pear and mincemeat tarts sound delicious.

That's great that you have been able to decide on a stove.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Pear and mincemeat tart sounds excellent! I have some pastry in the freezer and some old mincemeat from last Christmas... <ponders>

We have had autumn colds kicking around our family for weeks now, and I'm so keen to see the back of them. I've taken to diffusing essential oils that are meant to be good for general bug-zapping, and trying to get everyone stuffed full of fruit and veg and into bed nice and early, in the hope of boosting their immune systems slightly.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2018 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Pear and mincemeat tarts all round, then. :)

Lots of people at work seems to be going down with colds, and DH, who had the same symptoms as me about a week before, is taking a tissue of Olbas oil to bed to help him breathe. I'm okay today but I know he had a few days between the bad throat and the spread of symptoms so I'm not saying I've escaped it. TOPM, thanks for the reminder, I'm having vitamin C and zinc before bed.

Today was the last really early shift for a few weeks, though I'm in at 8 tomorrow for training. I got my Friday off, which I'm glad of. It will give me a break but also enable me to keep an eye on DH as he recovers from his hospital appointment.

So today: work, then not quite tired enough to fall asleep so I threw some laundry in (it's now hanging around drying as I haven't given in to temptation and put the tumble drier on), had a chat with my neighbour and went to the shops. A few groceries and some makeup later, who should show up but DH, so I got a lift home. After tea J and L turned up with a gift for DH (L's brother gets samples from a 'good brand' through his work) and I suddenly remembered I hadn't given people the gifts we brought back from holiday, so that happened too. By then instead of falling asleep as I had been half an hour earlier, I was wide awake so a bit of ironing got done.

Spending:
    Toiletries £10.74
    Housekeeping £11.00 approx (DH contributed a handful of change, the self-service till refused to acknowledge some of it, I put another £1 in, the assistant came along and said it was playing up and refunded us a lot of small coins... which I'm hoping all comes out even).
    MS:
    Some bargains in both the above.
    10th coin savings 25p (that brings this pot to £33.40)... it didn't grow at all while we were away so maybe I ought to put bigger coins in for a bit, or make it every 9th coin left in my purse at the end of the day?
    Confession time:
    The makeup wasn't strictly necessary. I bought cheap mascara a couple of months agao and it's hard to remove so I'm trying another with a different eye makeup remover.

It's more than time I was in bed as I'm needing to be up early again: it had better be a quick bath tonight.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I get very down when I'm overtired Cherryfudge. It's amazing what a difference being tired makes to the mood. I've noticed you post on here quite late sometimes so maybe you're not getting enough sleep? I like to get my light out by 11pm if I have to be up at 7am the next day. I get miserable without my eight hours sleep.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I get very down when I'm overtired Cherryfudge. It's amazing what a difference being tired makes to the mood. I've noticed you post on here quite late sometimes so maybe you're not getting enough sleep? I like to get my light out by 11pm if I have to be up at 7am the next day. I get miserable without my eight hours sleep.

I think a good 80% of it is lack of sleep, Hairy. I'm terribly late and that thing about gradually working towards an earlier night doesn't seem to work for me. I have a routine for getting to sleep which usually works but I do have to be sufficiently tired at the right point or I can lie awake till 3am or later. I used to work nights so I don't think that helped: I learned to go right through without going to sleep. That said, it was wonderful immediately after our holiday: my body stayed on far eastern time for some days so by 8 in the evening I was ready to sleep!

Today was mostly work, followed by a visit to the physio which was, as always, helpful. She's going to refer me to the scar clinic (I never knew there was such a thing) as I'm having a few issues with the remnants of my op. We also discussed what physical components of work I'm ready for, which isn't yet all of them but the range is extending.

Pizza for trea then an evening at my friend's house. I've signed up for a Christmas flower arranging demonstration: J did a similar thing to make a wreath last year and it was very effective. I think I'm going to put that under 'entertainment' as it's not really a hobby.

16/10/18 Spending:
    Entertainment £10.00
    Housekeeping: £3.?? (check receipt) +£2.50
    MS:
    Wombled 3p
    10th coin savings 20p
    Decluttering:
    Half an hour or so tidying in the garden.
    I'm getting into the habit of tidying the kitchen before bed and I put a lot of now-dried laundry away.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The Christmas flower arranging sounds good. I am always amazed at how people make a few cutting of evergreens look good.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 18 October 2018 at 8:38AM
    Options
    The Christmas flower arranging sounds good. I am always amazed at how people make a few cutting of evergreens look good.

I am torn between leaving the holly and ivy for a couple of months (and inevitably till spring) in order to have some for Christmas, and having a tidy hedge as an 'easy win' in an otherwise scruffy garden. :)

This morning I had a lovely long sleep then spent hours on DS2's computer game, pausing only to open the door to a meter reader and some people to fix a difficult lock. Eventually I felt guilty enough to get up and do some work, which came in the form of about three hours of gardening. There is now a fairly good 'clear' patch but there is such a network of ivy down one side of the garden that I can't call it really clear until I can see clean soil. Every time I pull a handful of ivy out, it brings home to me how hard it is to get it all.

I've put the mixed fruit for the Christmas cake to soak in brandy! DS2 and I inspected it and ate all the sultanas that still had stalks on, then had a discussion on getting drunk on fumes. He refused a fourth soaked sultana in case it made him unfit for duty in the morning. I hasten to add he's in his twenties... I'm not being a bad influence on a toddler. :D

Dinner was from the freezer so it was going to be an NSD but we had a church meeting and stopped on the way back to buy bread... at a cost of £1.01, of which DH contributed the £1 and I contributed the penny! I wonder how many people have lost out on an NSD for the sake of 1p?

Spending:
    Housekeeping £0.01 :rotfl:
    MS:
    Dinner from freezer
    a small handful of blackberries from the garden
    Clear space makes the garden look better and cost nothing
    10th coin savings 30p
    Decluttering:
    3 big bin bags of bramble and ivy for the recycling centre.

• Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't remember if I ever actually popped on and said 'hi' - I've been following your journey for a while now and find your energy very inspiring.

I have a question - how does the '10th' coin work? Do you randomly count out the coins and take whatever you pull 10th or do you line them up in order of value and then take 10th? Potentially a little OCD here but I have learned to roll with it...
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Hi Lucifa73 :) I got the 10th coin idea from the book 'The Richest Man in Babylon' (which I found quite annoying but it's one of those things that keeps coming up as reading material for those wanting to take control over their finances). In the book he just saves every 10th coin, as if it makes no difference how big it is, but I save one in ten (including notes) depending on how rich I feel. It's true I haven't missed them and it's working out as accumulating more than the (abysmal) interest on my ancient ISA. Of course I need to get my act together and find somewhere more profitable to put my savings. :o

So, I'm sorry there isn't a definitive answer. If I've overspent early in the week (housekeeping is budgeted weekly) it's likely to be less. More when I feel inspired to save. :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport