Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    I'm less concerned about market volatility unless it spills over to the real economy. My portfolio is based on income-generating shares so a market fall simply means my yields go up. Income is reinvested so it also means I'm getting good deals on that reinvested income. Every cloud etc.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Kit_Katt wrote: »
    For the people that have now retired and the ones close to retirement following the journey what are they feeling about this years declining stock market?

I retired at the end of June 2013, at a time when my investments had just lost about 5% of their value. It was a nervous time but I took the view that these were long-term investments, and that a short-term dip (albeit a badly timed one) should not change my outlook. I had/have no regrets
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I moved onto part time working earlier in the year and am hoping to keep it going until April (when hopefully there will be greater clarity on the effects of Brexit).

4% drop in the markets isn't a big issue, but if there is meltdown in April I might have to carry on working for a bit longer
  • gadgetmind wrote: »
    Bitcoin has fallen 30% in five days, so not a boat I'd fancy risking my life in.

Not wise to put all your money into bitcoin but as a hedge it is a a good call. 5% of your savings, maybe you lose, maybe you avoid a bit of a loss in the value of the pound, or maybe it increases 20x and you have doubled your savings.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    or maybe it increases 20x and you have doubled your savings.
    Come again?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Come again?

Indeed you would need the 5% to increase 21x (or an additional 20x) otherwise you would 'only' have 195%.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    I have been retired over 20 years and the stock market goes up and down.
    A 4% drop has not stopped me looking to buy a new car. (Not one made in the UK)
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Kit_Katt
    Kit_Katt Posts: 45 Forumite
    Comforting to know- thanks for the feedback .
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have to remind myself that the 50k drop in my pension means I am getting more value for each pound I am now investing. Surely it is a good thing to buy shares when they are cheaper.
    I think....
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:59PM
    michaels wrote: »
    I have to remind myself that the 50k drop in my pension means I am getting more value for each pound I am now investing. Surely it is a good thing to buy shares when they are cheaper.

Yup and the dividends are also getting better value reinvestments too. We are down around £30k from this correction but our net worth is still around £60k higher than April (mostly our invested income and bonuses) so I have nothing to complain about and will continue to invest new money into the markets.

Markets were looking too frothy which would be damaging to medium term returns so I am convinced this (and the previous) correction have been a good thing for long term investors. I would actually be happy to see it drop a bit more next week.

Alex
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure