PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Preventing landlord access

Morning!

New rental, and various issues, including a landlord who seems to think he can come and go as he pleases. I seem to remember that someone on here linked to a gadget which you can put on the door without screws, but which stops access unless you have a key? Anyone know what I'm talking about and can send me a link?

There is a chain on the inside, which is always on when I'm in.

Thanks all

Comments

• Why waste any money at all on a item of prevention when a simple letting him know that he should do things the correct way and inform you with notice should he wish to come to the property, If you believe that will fall on deaf ears then simply print the correct legislation out for him when you tell him.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why waste any money at all on a item of prevention when a simple letting him know that he should do things the correct way and inform you with notice should he wish to come to the property, If you believe that will fall on deaf ears then simply print the correct legislation out for him when you tell him.

Yes, I've tried that. And then after that he took something he shouldn't. While I hesitate to use the work 'theft' (I think it was an honest mistake, and it is resolved), I'm just not taking this anymore.

I'm a woman by myself, he's a young man. My next step is to either find a quick and dirty solution, or to call the police. I'd rather do the former if I can.
  • is that changing the lock?
    How often is often and does he give you the required warning?
    EU expat working in London
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just to be clear you are a tenant rather than a lodger and this isn't a HMO you are living in, is that correct?

After speaking with your landlord and reminding him that he cannot just wander into your home whenever the fancy takes him if he still continues to do so change the barrel of the lock. That's a quick solution as it only take 5 minutes.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Wyndham wrote: »
    Yes, I've tried that. And then after that he took something he shouldn't. While I hesitate to use the work 'theft' (I think it was an honest mistake, and it is resolved), I'm just not taking this anymore.

I'm a woman by myself, he's a young man. My next step is to either find a quick and dirty solution, or to call the police. I'd rather do the former if I can.

Unless the lock is a fancy-dan electronic one you should simply be able to change the barrel (which gets you new keys) for about £20. Plenty of videos on youtube, failing that maybe £75 for a locksmith to do it. Replace the barrel when you move out.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Change locks, write to landlord asking for 24 hrs notice.
  • Indeed: Simple write (yes, WRITE! - keep copy) to landlord mentioning "quiet enjoyment" and you do not permit any visits by him without your prior, written, agreement - which that letter does not give.

Expect an s21 notice when he can.

Alternatively get a "shed alarm" eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motion-Sensor-Alarm-Garage-Remote/dp/B0038MJG9I
    & mention to neighbours that you are worried about break-ins and would they please 'phone Police if they hear alarm going off.

Some people might leave a pile of £20 notes out (take photos..) - it's so hard to remember, was it £200 or £660??
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Just to be clear you are a tenant rather than a lodger and this isn't a HMO you are living in, is that correct?
    This is important.Please answer both questions.

Then IF appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAo7zSN-9o
  • chipolatta
    chipolatta Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2018 at 4:55AM
    He shouldnt have such free acess to your place!
    If you are worried about it when you are in (I think so as you made it clear that you are a lass and he is a man), then a wedge is better than a chain, dirt cheap, non damaging, and he'll have to virtually break his door or hinges to get in!
    Old post mind, sorry.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    chipolatta - you are resurrecting a 2-year-old thread. I suspect Wyndham has resolved the problem or indeed moved home by now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure