MSE News: Air fares to rise as Government hikes taxes

Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 2 November 2009 at 1:10PM in Flights, currency & car hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The price of flying rises today for most, as a hiked Government tax on air travel comes into force..."

Read the full story:
Air fares to rise as Government hikes taxes

Comments

• hbc1981
    hbc1981 Posts: 58 Forumite
    "The hike comes into effect on all flights from today, even if booked in advance. Further rises are due in November next year."

So, If I've booked flights for next year, is the airline gonna come back to me demanding more cash?
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2009 at 3:19PM
    Rip-off? There is a huge government deficit to narrow and aviation is less heavily taxed than other forms of transport. Which taxes do you think should go up instead?
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2009 at 5:39PM
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    The price of flying rises today for all
    Not if you are flying to Turkey, The Canary Islands, Madeira, Morocco, and a few other places.

For those destinations the tax is coming down by 3/4rs. Yes there are some big rises for those traveling to Australia, New Zealand, and other far flung places.

I bet there are far more people who travel to Turkey and the Canary Islands who will benefit from this change.
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    What a rip off.

Tsk, tsk Mr Powers. As you are fairly new to this forum I should like to point out that some people are of the belief that if someone calls something a rip-off then it very rarely is! :rolleyes:
  • Incapuppy wrote: »
    Tsk, tsk Mr Powers. As you are fairly new to this forum I should like to point out that some people are of the belief that if someone calls something a rip-off then it very rarely is! :rolleyes:

By some people, you mean me, you and quite a few others? ;)

Yet more bad 'journalism' - as has been pointed out on these forums, APD is calculated on capital city to capital city, so that many destinations are actually benefiting from less APD.

I'd say that for the vast amount of people using this forum, APD has actually fallen.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's obviously not a rip-off if it's extremely clear and totally optional.
    Legal team on standby
  • malkie76 wrote: »

BUT IT'S A RIPOFF BECAUSE I WANT PAID FOR MY FLIGHTS TO THE CANARY ISLANDS SO I CAN EAT MORE FRIED BREAKFASTS AND DRINK MORE BRITISH LAGER LIKE MY FAVOURITE STELLA ARTOIS AND BECKS.

ahem.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Altarf wrote: »
    Not if you are flying to Turkey, The Canary Islands, Madeira, Morocco, and a few other places.

For those destinations the tax is coming down by 3/4rs. Yes there are some big rises for those traveling to Australia, New Zealand, and other far flung places.

I bet there are far more people who travel to Turkey and the Canary Islands who will benefit from this change.

I don't see any of countries you have mentioned having lower charges.

Which countries actually have lower charges? Does anyone know?

http://www.abta.com/about/lobbying_and_government_affairs/air_passenger_duty
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2009 at 9:48AM
    Now now children, and here was me thinking this was a serious discussion on saving cash - not a forum for silly bickering! (Am I allowed to state that as I do not have many posts - shoot me at dawn if you must!)

Seriously though, one way to reduce the taxes on long haul is to use a mainland european hub such as CDG or AMS.(The Netherlands actually scrapped their APD recently after realising it was stifling tourism) You will then only be contributing to the UK 'green' tax on the shortest sectors (UK to mainland europe).

Furthermore, you will likely find that the price of flights from carriers such as KLM and Air France are much cheaper than say BA or Virgin and frequently have good offers.

Happy Flying
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2009 at 10:52AM
    BUT IT'S A RIPOFF BECAUSE I WANT PAID FOR MY FLIGHTS TO THE CANARY ISLANDS SO I CAN EAT MORE FRIED BREAKFASTS AND DRINK MORE BRITISH LAGER LIKE MY FAVOURITE STELLA ARTOIS AND BECKS.

ahem.

I think you will find that Stella Lager is Belgian and Becks is a German Brew.

AHEM

I bet there are far more people who travel to Turkey and the Canary Islands who will benefit from this change

I stand to be corrected, but I was under the impression that the amount of APD to be paid was based on banding not by a specific destination.

If I have to travel to say Australia or the Far East to meet a business client - obviously having to get there by air travel, how would the APD be totally optional when I have no choice but to fly? - even rerouting by mainland Europe as I have described in a previous post I would still need to pay APD on the departure from the UK.

The only 'option' to avoid APD would be not to fly and allow a competitor to get my business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure