No longer in use

Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you HSL2 and crazy_cat_lady. They've now given me a 3 hour window for their visit this afternoon...

Not such a great sleep was had last night, but I know that's my own fault for surfing 'tinternet til quite late. :o I was looking for a cheap break for OH and I for later this month when we both have 3 days free and want to get away somewhere (UK based and not too far to drive).
    This morning I booked a trusty premier inn in a nice area with lots of walks and a nature conservation place nearby for which we have membership. The cost was £136.50 with breakfast for two nights, which we'll go halves on. We'll take a picnic with us and stop at the nature place the first day and, after a good breakfast, we don't tend to eat again until the evening, so it will be a cheap weekend. :)
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • MeandO
    edited 3 August 2018 at 9:37PM
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve been having yet another nightmare.
    Building repairs have more than doubled after more problems have been found and the estimated cost was just shy of £12k last night. Needless to say, I didn!!!8217;t sleep, but spent most of last night panicking, upset and feeling sick.
    Unfortunately none of it is covered on the insurance.

After a lot of discussion with the building firm and looking at various options, plus,I think a bit of them feeling sorry for me and promise of cake(!) :o it!!!8217;s now down to just over £10k.

My parents are insisting they step in and help me again to which I feel so incredibly guilty about. I haven!!!8217;t told them the full cost though as I do not want them giving me that amount of money, so I will need to find around £4K. The plan is to put that on the credit card which is 0% for 2 years, cease mortgage overpayments for now :( and pay it off as quickly as possible, throwing everything at it.

Items I bought this week before this happened have arrived and have already been sent back, so i!!!8217;ve already made around £100 to go towards the debt that will be built up. I can probably throw at least another £100 at it before the end of the month.

The eBay stuff is being listed at the weekend and it!!!8217;s a journal into frugaldom like i!!!8217;ve Never frugalled before...

I am so tired of disaster after disaster though. :(
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah no, I'm really sorry to hear this.
    Life has this habit of just chucking one thing after another - I hope that this will be it for you, and I'm really sorry it's not covered on insurance as well.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey lovely! I've just read your diary and subscribed :) So sorry that life isn't being kind right now. You deserve a break. Sending you a hug and I hope you can have a nice weekend despite everything going on xxx
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2018 at 3:47AM
    Options
    Sorry to read about the estimated cost of repairs...must have been quite a shock. Have you got an idea of when they can start the work? ( From the perspective of, do you have an idea of how quickly you need to find the 4K?)
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • MeandO
    Options
    loopybecs wrote: »
    Hey lovely! I've just read your diary and subscribed :) So sorry that life isn't being kind right now. You deserve a break. Sending you a hug and I hope you can have a nice weekend despite everything going on xxx

Hello loopybecs, thanks for popping by and for the hug! I remember you from ages ago when Lilty and jellytot were around. Am good friends with lilty still, we were speaking this morning! I was really sorry to read things didn’t work out with you and the ex, but, having been there myself I know some things happen for the best despite feeling otherwise at the time.
    Love to you and your girls for a fab weekend xx
  • MeandO
    Options
    Sorry to read about the estimated cost of repairs...must have been quite a shock. Have you got an idea of when they can start the work? ( From the perspective of, do you have an idea of how quickly you need to find the 4K?)

Hello HSL2, they started work yesterday - very noisy can’t hear a thing or possibly hide from the noise work too. :( I’ve paid them £6k today and will pay the rest on completion. It can go on the credit card for now but I will be in a self-enforced hurry to pay it off. I hate having an outstanding credit card balance these days, it makes me so uneasy.
  • MeandO
    Options
    So, as my post above, i’ve parted with £6k today. :(:eek: It’s gone on the credit card, but that £6k will be paid off on the 9th when the cheque from my parents has cleared. I am so indebted to them, I don’t know what i’d do without them. :heart2::heart2:
    Then, there will be between £4k-£5k for me to pay on the cc and clear.
    I am feeling a bit more positive about doing it now. I have no choice and there’s no point being miserable about it. As soon as I have paid it off I can begin overpaying the mortgage again, so that’s a big incentive.

DS is home! :j:j:j i’ve really missed him. He’s had an awesome time with his dad though so that’s the main thing. :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MeandO wrote: »
    Hello loopybecs, thanks for popping by and for the hug! I remember you from ages ago when Lilty and jellytot were around. Am good friends with lilty still, we were speaking this morning!

Yes I remember you too! And Lilty :) I hope she's doing well, and Jelly! She pops up on my Instagram every now & then. Give her my love!
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    Hi :hello:
    Give them my love too! So sorry to hear of all the building issues, aren't your parents lovely? Totally get you not wanting to borrow all of it from them. Fingers crossed for smoother times very soon x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport