We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have been so long living out of boxes that I have bought 'good buys' when I saw a bargain, just as an emotional sticking plaster possibly.

I hate throwing anything away & having had a time in my life when I had very little it is a matter of -it might come in handy.

Ebay has really slowed to a halt & I was getting rid of stuff. Once we are in the house I will know what I need & what is surplus.I've forgotten what I've got.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 July 2015 at 11:15PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    Lir.... I have some lovely side curtains from you know who that are a beautifull old yellow/gold. Diamond thread pattern same colour..With a thick fringe edging. There is actually 2 roman blinds that match.... big ones.... any good

What I'd love if we keep it for a few years would be marbled silk, but I cannot find it at a decent price. I have a 'thing' for marbled silk or ( or clothes) that goes way back
    http://ellensue.weebly.com/uploads/4/1/5/5/41559489/5034911.jpg?331. If I had a choice I might choose to where marbled clothes about seventy percent of the time. :) I'm a bit obsessed with it.

I would compromise with this sort of thing ( one on right) recycled-sari-silk-fabrics-for-home-decor-home-furnishings-500x500.jpg
    Which I think would look snug and warm in winter.

But will it take be as long to sort out the curtains as the house :o then find its time to make new ones for a new room:rotfl: I seem to be having a bit of activity going ATM so maybe not.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Shhhhhhh,

Don't scare it.......we have a lily livered morning sun......
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Shhhhhhh,

Don't scare it.......we have a lily livered morning sun......
    The coming week won't break any records, but if we get what's forecast, it will be OK. :)

Pete has struggled to make hay, so we might be doing that after all (may have said that already!)

With a bit of luck, Mr Rod will finish today and that's us plastered inside, barring the living room. :D
  • ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    Hello :hello:

Still here, more or less keeping up with you all.

Things are a bit mad here, so what's new!?!

Hubby is home, has been for almost a month, suspended from work after a truly ridiculous misunderstanding, with a foreign military officer whose English is poor and time on the job minimal... but he and his company can't seem to get past it so he can't go back to his old job :(

The company are being ok, helpful even, and as it's not a disciplinary matter they're looking for places to redeploy him, but the person who is leading all that has gone on leave for 10 days so we are stuck waiting. He had an unexpected job interview (on the phone) yesterday from another company, which may lead to something and he's on the lookout for others, none will be local but that's how it is.

So it's been an opportunity to really crack on with big tasks round here, keep joking he's the best paid $h!t shoveller and handy man around! But seriously all the little things are being ticked off as well as the big ones, shame the weather turned so rotten or we'd have more done outdoors by now, the garden was starting to get back under control but that's gone again :rotfl:

As the rain looks like it's cleared off for a few days we are emptying our garage into the yard this week, like everyone we always keep things just in case, don't know exactly what we have in there, but I like nice surprises when we find things that aren't damp/ruined after being in boxes for a decade! I can feel some car boots and charity shop runs coming on too.

However we are having a serious rethink on lots of other things. The livestock are being thinned right out, most of the woollies will be sold unless by some miracle we are gifted a few fields to graze in the next few weeks. I've just taken a load of pigs to slaughter, managed to sell a fair bit of meat but the rest will be frozen, and some sheep and goats will be off soon too, again some orders for meat are already in. Just need fewer mouths to feed :( to take the pressure off.

And with the inevitable prospect of a lower income we are selling our other little house, hadn't realised how much equity is in it, which will allow us to pay lots of things off and maybe even give us a little capital inject to finish a few things off here. It'll be sad to lose it but as houses seem to be selling round here ATM we're going for it, gotta be realistic.

On a different note the kitchen is almost done :j we are cooking in it now at least, no more microwave dinners:T I'm a bit behind on the finishing touches but one thing I have made is the Splasback and I've started making the upstands.....not installed yet but you get the gist :D

2wd0nwi.jpg

It seems I've stumbled on a potential business opportunity here, just as well as the job market isn't looking up to much for me. I've been busily researching and planning and now making with a view to turning my glassy hobby into a proper business, but just making bespoke glass splash backs for kitchens or even bathrooms. It's something that isn't limited by geography although I'll be concentrating on local outlets to begin with but there seems to be a good market in home improvements despite the economy being slow....we shall see

Right, tea break is over, back to the grind stone!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good to see you are still with us FK. That's a really classy glassy splashback & upstand! :T

Ours will look a bit tame in comparison, I think, though the colour's not finalised yet. We'll probably match ours to the F&B paint used on the matchboarding.....nothing very adventurous.:o

Just had our electricians' final bill through: it's too reasonable!:eek:
    I know I'm always moaning about them, but they have stuck by what they said initially, despite us adding more....and more.:o I will see that they are OK, provided they come back and finish!
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It seems I've stumbled on a potential business opportunity here, just as well as the job market isn't looking up to much for me. I've been busily researching and planning and now making with a view to turning my glassy hobby into a proper business, but just making bespoke glass splash backs for kitchens or even bathrooms. It's something that isn't limited by geography although I'll be concentrating on local outlets to begin with but there seems to be a good market in home improvements despite the economy being slow....we shall see

Hi there FC, you might find this website of interest, they do bespoke fused glass. We saw some of their stuff when we went to a trade show in Harrogate. We mainly went with our builder to take a look at the Thermaskirt heating system, which we now have in the house. But seeing as we'd driven all that way we did get round as much of the rest of the stuff as we could manage!
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Hi there FC, you might find this website of interest, they do bespoke fused glass. We saw some of their stuff when we went to a trade show in Harrogate. We mainly went with our builder to take a look at the Thermaskirt heating system, which we now have in the house. But seeing as we'd driven all that way we did get round as much of the rest of the stuff as we could manage!

Hmm, interesting idea for shower doors for some homes.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Rain, rain, rain :(
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The new wardrobe looks great but the lack of hanging space is a problem. Not only were they shorter ' back then' but they had narrower shoulders. :(. So all the hangers are on a slant, and only firs things are fitting in there really.

DD1 has had my wardrobe that belonged to my Grandmother, so can't take photos for you. (Came from Islington via Harrow, West Kirby, Liverpool and now is back in London in Herne Hill!) But back then the hangers didn't hang sideways like now. There was a hanging rail that that ran from back to front of the wardrobe. On my Grandmother's one there was a sliding mechanism so you could pull it out a little (about 4-6 inches if I recall correctly) so it was marginally easier to reach the stuff at the back. Really bad design - and a nightmare if you had a lot of clothes stuffed in it! I guess they didn't have as many clothes back then though, even fairly wealthy people. Unless they were Lords and Ladies or whatever in which case they'd prob have a Dressing Room rather than a wardrobe! ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback