Passport countersign

Hi all, i need mine and my partners passport photos signed. Could someone that works for the nhs do it? Thanks

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    What do the guidance notes say?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 July 2018 at 9:21PM
    Hi all, i need mine and my partners passport photos signed. Could someone that works for the nhs do it? Thanks

There's a list that tells you who could sign it.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    There's a list that tells you who could sign it.
    There is list of examples of people who can sign. It depends what the people you know who work for the NHS do.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • missnat81
    missnat81 Posts: 74 Forumite
    I recently countersigned passport photos for someone I work with I!!!8217;m not a doctor... I!!!8217;m a supervisor in a shop, he got his passport with no problems... read the booklet that comes with it I!!!8217;m sure it said neighbors etc could do it as long as they have known the person over 3 years
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    missnat81 wrote: »
    I recently countersigned passport photos for someone I work with I!!!8217;m not a doctor... I!!!8217;m a supervisor in a shop, he got his passport with no problems... read the booklet that comes with it I!!!8217;m sure it said neighbors etc could do it as long as they have known the person over 3 years

Contrary to common perception doctors aren't on the list of signatories unless they happen to have reason to know the person really well.

There is a list of suggested occupations on the gov website but people 'of good standing in the community' are also included. Personally I would interpret that as having some sort of community role such as running a local group or a well known lollipop person or even a long standing shopkeeper or something like that.

If you don't fit any of those categories I'm surprised that the passport was issued so readily. I can see that system being open to abuse.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Someone who's a member of a professional body can sign. So people who have qualified and maintained membership of their professional body can sign. Possibly accountants, accounting technicians, physiotherapists, counsellors, driving instructors, librarians, heating engineers, teachers, nurses, etc. People who work in the public sector are sometimes considered eligible to sign such as police staff and civil servants, so ask your friends as you might be surprised at who says they can sign.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I frequently sign for friends, as I'm a teacher.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 August 2018 at 9:59PM
    Twelve years ago, I countersigned my ex's nephew and nieces passports, even though my job at the time, wasn't listed on the list of people that can countersign. But worked for a bank. They received them within the week and used them to travel twice when I was still with my ex,

I don't think the Passport Office have got time and money to double check countersigners are legit. Providing they don't have the same current surname, maiden name or mothers maiden name (which looks a bit dodgy as probably family).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Twelve years ago, I countersigned my ex's nephew and nieces passports, even though my job at the time, wasn't listed on the list of people that can countersign. But worked for a bank. They received them within the week and used them to travel twice when I was still with my ex,

I don't think the Passport Office have got time and money to double check countersigners are legit. Providing they don't have the same current surname, maiden name or mothers maiden name (which looks a bit dodgy as probably family).

You're probably right and in any event the website list of those eligible to countersign is very vague and not exhaustive.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I know of a few countersigners who have been rung up and checked by the passport office. It's worth making sure you really kniw the details of who you have signed for as it doesn't look good if you can't answer their questions.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport