Advice on Child Support

Hi Forum Experts,
I wondered if any of you lovely people can help.
My partner has recently sold his ex martial home and divorced his estranged wife, he pays her child support (and everything else in between) since they split approx 2.5 years ago. His eldest daughter is at University and is of an age where he no longer pays for her.
He pays both children £40 a month pocket money, and still pays £75 a week for child No.2, however his now ex is demanding more - albeit only £20 per week but she’s now threatening to take him to CSA and also suggesting my earnings will be looked into. She’s recently purchased a new property with her new partner, and both have full time jobs. Would the CSA look at both our earnings etc?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you 😊

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dinkyd08 wrote: »
    Hi Forum Experts,
    I wondered if any of you lovely people can help.
    My partner has recently sold his ex martial home and divorced his estranged wife, he pays her child support (and everything else in between) since they split approx 2.5 years ago. His eldest daughter is at University and is of an age where he no longer pays for her.
    He pays both children £40 a month pocket money, and still pays £75 a week for child No.2 - is at or more than the minimum? , however his now ex is demanding more - albeit only £20 per week but she’s now threatening to take him to CSA - doesn't exist anymore, so she's talking nonsense and also suggesting my earnings will be looked into - nope . She’s recently purchased a new property with her new partner, and both have full time jobs. Would the CSA look at both our earnings etc? - no
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you 😊

CSA doesn't exist anymore, so if you want the facts look up the CMS
  • Dinkyd08
    Dinkyd08 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for replying -He pays £75per week for child No.2, also the mobile phone £27 per month and £40 per month to each of the 2 children.
    As child no.1 is at university and gets a bursary of the full amount he doesn’t pay his ex for her, but she lives away at University.
    So he pays them both £40 each per month directly into their bank accounts.
    She’s threatening that she’ll back date to be paid the extra £20 per week for the past 2.5years and will also want to have my earnings for CSA evidence.
    He’s never not given her money for the children and has paid a considerable amount for various other things on top.
    I’m starting to get abit at my whits end with it all.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for replying -He pays £75per week for child No.2 - I don't know if that's correct or not? How much does he earn? , also the mobile phone £27 per month and £40 per month to each of the 2 children. - those are fine, but don't count
    As child no.1 is at university and gets a bursary of the full amount he doesn’t pay his ex for her, but she lives away at University. - fair enough
    So he pays them both £40 each per month directly into their bank accounts. - that's great, but doesn't count
    She’s threatening that she’ll back date to be paid the extra £20 per week for the past 2.5years and will also want to have my earnings for CSA evidence. - no and no. as I said, CMS claims do not include your income and are not backdated
    He’s never not given her money for the children and has paid a considerable amount for various other things on top.

Go to the CMS calculator, work out what he must pay and pay that.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for replying -He pays £75per week for child No.2, also the mobile phone £27 per month and £40 per month to each of the 2 children.
    As child no.1 is at university and gets a bursary of the full amount he doesn’t pay his ex for her, but she lives away at University.
    So he pays them both £40 each per month directly into their bank accounts.
    She’s threatening that she’ll back date to be paid the extra £20 per week for the past 2.5years and will also want to have my earnings for CSA evidence.

As Comms69 posts, CSA doesn't exist anymore it is CMS, costs £20 to open a case, and your income will not be looked into,
    I think the figures are 12,15 and 19% of gross income less any deductions for regular overnights, the extra pocket money etc is not included and donated at goodwill, it doesn't make him less of a person if he chooses not to donate any extra, and NRP's are not criminals or bad persons .
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Look into the CMS calculator... that will tell you the minimum to be paid.
    Children not entitled to child benefit are not paid for... so at Uni level education they are not liable to be paid towards.

As a previous poster has stated - money given directly to a child or paying a childs' phonebill etc will not be acceptable to CMS in terms of their calculation - nor would ceasing to pay these things count against you in any way with them.

If you suspect that the ex is being greedy then it might well be the case that if you have to pay her extra under the CMS this could be deducted from what you give the kids (I know they are innocent in this and this is not an ideal situation) but I'd be tempted to say to the ex - 'sure, here's that extra £20 you want but I'm paying £10 less on the 2 kids phone bills so that's that amount for you to spend on the kids now. That IS what this money is for'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure