What does the Chancellors pension revolution mean for us?

Comments

• SnowMan wrote: »
    The age at which pensions can be taken is rising from age 55 to 57 (I think).

from 2028 (para 1.12). So if you're over 41, it should not affect you
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2014 at 3:41PM
    "And so, third, we will completely change the tax treatment of defined contribution pensions to bring it into line with the modern world.
    There will be consequential implications for defined benefit pensions upon which we will consult and proceed cautiously.
    So the changes we announce will not today apply to them.
    But 13 million people have defined contribution schemes, and the number continues to grow.
    We’ve introduced flexibilities.
    But most people still have little option but to take out an annuity, even though annuity rates have fallen by a half over the last 15 years.
    The tax rules around these pensions are a manifestation of a patronising view that pensioners can’t be trusted with their own pension pots.
    I reject that.
    People who have worked hard and saved hard all their lives, and done the right thing, should be trusted with their own finances.
    And that’s precisely what we will now do. Trust the people.
    Some changes will take effect from next week.
    We will:
    cut the income requirement for flexible drawdown from £20,000 to £12,000
    raise the capped drawdown limit from 120% to 150%
    increase the size of the lump sum small pot five-fold to £10,000
    and almost double the total pension savings you can take as a lump sum to £30,000
    All of these changes will come into effect on 27 March.
    These measures alone would amount to a radical change.
    But they are only a step in the fundamental reform of the taxation of defined contribution pensions I want to see.
    I am announcing today that we will legislate to remove all remaining tax restrictions on how pensioners have access to their pension pots.
    Pensioners will have complete freedom to draw down as much or as little of their pension pot as they want, anytime they want.
    No caps. No drawdown limits.
    Let me be clear. No one will have to buy an annuity.
    And we’re going to introduce a new guarantee, enforced by law, that everyone who retires on these defined contribution pensions will be offered free, impartial, face-to-face advice on how to get the most from the choices they will now have.
    Those who still want the certainty of an annuity, as many will, will be able to shop around for the best deal.
    I am providing £20 million over the next two years to work with consumer groups and industry to develop this new right to advice.
    When it comes to tax charges, it will still be possible to take a quarter of your pension pot tax free on retirement, as today.
    But instead of the punitive 55% tax that exists now if you try to take the rest, anything else you take out of your pension will simply be taxed at normal marginal tax rates – as with any other income. So not a 55% tax but a 20% tax for most pensioners.
    The OBR confirm that in the next fifteen years, as some people use these new freedoms to draw down their pensions, this tax cut will lead to an increase in tax receipts.
    These major changes to the tax regime require a separate Act of Parliament – and we will have them in place for April next year."
  • Does this include people who have paid into a private pension, rather than an employer provided pension. A relative has one and I'm not sure if this is going to affect her.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2014 at 4:03PM
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2014 at 4:12PM
    Can anyone explain what the following is about?

"We’re increasing the amount of overall pension wealth you can take as a lump sum from £18k to £30k"

I thought you could already take 25% of your pension as a cash lump some with no limit? Is that not so?

Maybe it is the limit for trivial pensions its referring to.
  • smartn
    smartn Posts: 296 Forumite
    I think that just applies to people with small pension pots ie < 30000 you can take it all out at 55 but I may be wrong....
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what the following is about?

"We’re increasing the amount of overall pension wealth you can take as a lump sum from £18k to £30k"

I thought you could already take 25% of your pension as a cash lump some with no limit? Is that not so?

The trivial commutation limit was 18K. It is that limit that is increasing to 30K.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Free pension advice .....IFA's will be selling off their Porsch's and BMW's heh heh
  • Leo83_2
    Leo83_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 19 March 2014 at 4:23PM
    This is a monumental move and this day should go down in history.

I am a 30yr old male with a pension pot already into 6 figures and the thought of buying an annuity at the age of 65 at around £3.8k pa (3% inflation linked) or £5.5k fixed, it annoyed the crap out of me as it is downright daylight robbery. You have to live around 20yrs just to get your money back at these rates and that is ignoring the potential re-investment of funds generating growth to the initial pot.

This was a surprise and a very good one at that. Things needed to change and now things have moved up a hundred levels with regards to pension savings. These companies offering awful annuities will need to start re-thinking otherwise they are going to go out of business. I'm sure some greedy robbing IFA's will go out of business too as managing the funds yourself will cut out this costly middle man :grin:

I now wonder if it is worthwhile cashing in even final salary schemes into this new plan if possible? If you have a history of early death running in the family, you would surely want access to all funds as soon as possible to manage them yourselves?

Many many questions but this is MONUMENTAL.

MAJOR THUMBS UP:T
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for that first link SnowMan, I'll certainly not be piling any more into my pension if they're looking to raise the age for private pensions. I take it this would be one of those changes that would be applied retrospectively (i.e. would it override the T&Cs of my current pension papers that state 55 as my planned retirement age?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure