PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, Wednesday I love the heat, as I said though I prefer the steam rather than dry heat, I can sit in there for ages, come out have a freezing shower or ice bucket, then back in.
    Whereas I don't care for a Jacuzzi, I get bored sat in water, I don't have baths for the same reason, I much prefer a shower.
    Though years ago hubby and I went to a spa in winter that had an outdoor jacuzzi and we sat in it in the snow . That was quite magical , especially as it was going dark too. A lovely memory.:love:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh no PN , that's awful , I hope you get it sorted out alright.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Have you tried a big overcoat, hat and mittens?
    :)

Not really the same.:rotfl:
    wort wrote: »
    Ooh, Wednesday I love the heat, as I said though I prefer the steam rather than dry heat, I can sit in there for ages, come out have a freezing shower or ice bucket, then back in.
    Whereas I don't care for a Jacuzzi, I get bored sat in water, I don't have baths for the same reason, I much prefer a shower.
    Though years ago hubby and I went to a spa in winter that had an outdoor jacuzzi and we sat in it in the snow . That was quite magical , especially as it was going dark too. A lovely memory.:love:

Yes, I think maybe steam would be better for me as it's not so dry. I've never tried that.

The snow jacuzzi sounds lovely.:A
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

........say, a month's mealplan (with a little bit of inbuilt variation for seasonal stuff) at some point. Not to say I'd always stick to it:rotfl: - but might give a basis to work from at least. I think the shopping list part of making out a mealplan is defeating me a bit at the moment. I have at least learnt to divide my supermarket shopping list into two columns now - ie a fruit and vegetables column and an "everything else" column and that's one way to make sure I'm buying plenty of fruit & veg. (as I can see if that section of list looks reasonably long).
    A month :eek::eek:, I struggle with any more than 5 or 6 days:o
    After my recent health problems I want to make sure that I have got plenty of HM ready meals in the freezer. Also useful for CBA days.
    That sounds sensible Holly, I really should do the same :)
    I can't cook/eat a thing. Awaiting a repair man (wind decided the roof didn't need to be where it started) ... who is arriving "mid morning". So I can't do/start anything, including food/eating as I need to be on high alert to spot him, get the job done etc.

When an event will occur I can't sleep the night before and I get up early.... so I didn't get to sleep until 2.45am and I was up and about by 6am again.

Done/hung some hand washing..tidied a little bit .... now just "pacing about".

Yikes PN hope it gets sorted without too much bother (or cash outlay)!

Kittie - 10 miles :T:T, that's a great amount to do.

Re saunas, I always find them too dry, much prefer a good "steam". :)

It's sunny here just now - though a gale's due to hit early afternoon. I think the forecast is correct of my tinnutus is roaring which it always does if the weather pressure changes a lot. Not sure I'll get very far today but will do the bin etc. while the going is good.

Lorne, egg & tomato today for brunch I think. Last night I took some cooked stewing steak out to defrost so to quote PN I'll do a "lobbin" later. Haven't decided if will be good old stew, chilli or curry yet:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    oh pastures, I understand the pacing., I get like that when something bad happens and when I need outside help and there is no-one else to share the problem. A newbuild? help should arrive pronto

wort, I have a different sort of cycling area to you, mine sounds more gentle for cycling. It takes about a mile to get the cycling muscles warmed up, take it easy at least to then and make sure to get into lower gears before you need them, remember that first gear is your friend and if you can keep balance, then go as slow as you like. Having said that I doubt I would be using roads with cars, I am not that brave

Saunas!! I hated them and I hate public chlorinated swimming pools, public showers and public changing rooms. The only time I got athletes foot was when I joined a gym and used the pool and sauna, was awful bad but I worked on it and it went, never to appear again. Took years to get rid of it from my toenails

Ok I have whizzed around and prepared for the parkin, all ready, part in a pan and part in a bowl. just got to prep a baking pan. Plus, a big one for me, The small freezer in the garage is now empty :D I never thought I would do that by this stage in the year. My kitchen freezer is crammed but now I know pretty well what is in there. Lots more tubs of ratatouille and yes ok, I did aim to make enough for winter and that was a success but I tell you next year I am growing far fewer ratatouille appropriate veggies on the allotment.

I extracted a frozen turkey carcase, destined for a couple of tubs of stock, destined for casseroles, destined for ready meals in the next month. Looks like today I will be using the oven for parkin and the pressure cooker for stock and a small pan for brassica veg. I enjoyed my lunch yesterday, am enjoying the part roasted home grown parsnips so I am increasing the growing area this year and they are a very easy veg to grow, I dig them out before frost as I don`t like sweet parsnips
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think I could take the heat in a sauna. I know I have been in one when I was on holiday and could only go in for a few minutes at a time.:D

I would love a hot tub where you could sit outside and get daylight, but be in hot water so you are warm. I can dream, lol.

I'm the same with sauna, I found them just too hot, hot tub, yep done that as well, but this was in Florida so sun and cold beers:beer:, a better experience than a sauna IMO

Could do with time machine to flip back away from this grey old day

Late breakfast of HM yoghurt with spoonful of honey stirred in
    Lunch will be B Forest ham with salad bits sarnie
    Dinner, uncertain but could be pan fried in butter cod fillet [offer in Lild] and "baby" spuds and I think I have some frozen peas around for a bit of green with an otherwise all white meal

All this soup talk has prompted me. I have a head of celery lurking and unused since Christmas buy in. I may just make a celery & potato soup, all the items are in the fridge, just needs me to do it. If I do this may become dinner with a couple of bread slices
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 12:17PM
    Options
    You've reminded me Kittie - I must check if I've got a pair of cheapie rubber flip-flops and, if not, buy some - as I shall be going back again.

Farway - sent you a PM. Mr "Dispatched by NIC/EIC electrician" is turning up Wednesday thankfully. Hopefully - all will be sorted - or as sorted as it can be on "finished I thought" house.

EDIT; No sooner said than done - flip-flops duly ordered and should turn up during the week.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been pacing, but also had an invite for a walk out which I've had to decline... although I have still dressed and packed some sandwiches in case the work was done quick/early .... still no sign of the little man though!

I did a slice of toast and spread chocolate spread on it in the meantime.

Getting dressed/changed isn't the easiest of things to do if you're also trying to keep an eye/ear out for somebody without a specific arrival time.... my bell doesn't work, although in this case I'd expect to have a good chance of spotting him arriving + he's got a vested interest in banging on the door/window :)

When does mid morning end.... I'd have thought an hour ago!
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Hello CFO's

I am also having problems Hollyharvey; I can only thank people on this page, not page 1. So apologies to all for not being able to do that.... And thank you to everyone for their first page posts.:)

Yesterday's food:

B - naked porridge again
    L - Nuked salmon piece, on mash (made with splash of semi-skimmed milk and pepper), with green veg (beans, peas, broccoli and sprouts). Smashed up meringue with 2 plums and diet yogurt.
    T - Chicken soup and 2 slices of wholemeal bread.

Today:

B - naked porridge
    L - Roast and all trimmings!
    T - Whatever my stomach can squeeze in, or, might not eat anything except a bit of fruit.... ;)

My stomach is getting used to a lower calorie input and I am feeling motivated to lose the spare tyre.

This time, I am NOT going to put it back on!

Hope the poorly ones are feeling better, and, hope you get your roof sorted soon PN!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When does mid morning end.... I'd have thought an hour ago!

That reminds me, I was told number 2 baby was due around lunchtime and if I wanted to attend come along then. I asked when lunchtime was, which seemed a valid question me but not to others
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback