Vote Counting at Elections?

Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?

Comments

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes you can although I have never done it. I emailed the electoral services dept at my local council and they have sent me the application forms for this coming election. HTH's.
  • I was asked to work at the counts a few times when I worked in a bank. It wasn't much money, about £20, but that was a few years ago now.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • meandmaboy
    meandmaboy Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    josie wrote: »
    Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?

I've done this a few times I went onto the Council Website & filled out the application forms for all the different jobs available.
    I got selected to count the 'votes' twice & @ the last 'General Election' I was lucky enough to get a job in the Polling Stations.
    Our Council keep your name on file & send out the paperwork to ask if you are still interested when the 'elections' are due.
    The pay is okay for any of the jobs.

hth
  • You can earn quite good money if you are bent. Particularly if you live in a marginal constituancy.
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Someone else on here saying it's >£100 for the night. I emailed my council to ask on 20/3 - no response! :(
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for £235. Polling clerks get £152. Of course this is for a shift lasting from 6.30 AM to 10 PM. I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    No idea what the pay is for the counting centre but it could be a long night if there were recounts.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was offered the chance to count votes (had to decline though as already booked for work until quite late that day) £125, start at 9.55 pm and work until finished. My son is doing it this time and we both registered for work about 4/6 weeks ago.

Tax will be deducted unless you fill out the usual HMRC form to state that you have allowances to cover.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • scotsbob wrote: »
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for £235. .... I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.

No, it's not. :(

But there's an extra £50 for the training session :)

Less tax, of course :(
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I have Emailed my council twice in the last few weeks to no avail.

I live in a small town and the people who did it last time have thier feet under the table sort it speak. Seems like a decent wager though :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure