Huge dog prescription bills... advice please?

Hello, this might be a strange question but should my ex contribute to my dog prescription/ vet bills?

My soon to be ex husband bought our family dog (black lab x) as a puppy from his friend 13 years ago, especially for my son and they've been best mates ever since. When the dog was 4 he became very ill and was diagnosed with addison's disease which he's lived well with ever since. Our basic insurance at the time only covered his initial vet bill and not his monthly prescription, which we used to get from the vet directly.
Over the years the tablets (thanks to the manufacturer's) have become crazy expensive until we arranged to have only the prescription from the vet and the tablets are now sourced from a pharmacy 30 miles away.
Now myself and my ex are no longer together and he's moved in with his gf and bought a new dog, he has no interest in our dog and never wants to see him even when he has the kids, but I have never stopped him seeing him.
The problem is is that the tablets are now costing me £215 every 3 months, with a £20 script charge from the vet AND a 6 monthly blood test and check up for £90 or they won't prescribe for him. Im a student and really am struggling to pay this bit if I text my ex to ask him if he'll help he just ignores me.
The only other alternative is changing his meds but this would be even more expensive to start with and the vet himself says he's thinks with the dogs age that he should stay on the tablets.

So my question is, do you think he should contribute to the vet bills as he knows how expensive they are? And if so.. would it be ridiculous to try and add it into the divorce or could I take him to small claims or would i be laughed out of the place?
Thanks

Comments

• What if his preference before the court is that is that the dog should be put down to ease suffering ?
  • The dog lives a normal life whilst on his medication. I don't think a vet would put a dog down on request of someone just because they don't wish to pay for medication?
  • I'm no legal expert but I doubt a judge is going to get into 'maintenance' costs for a pet which resides entirely with somebody else...
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Re-home the dog?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • We love him and he's been part of the family for 13 years, rehoming him isn't an option
  • We love him and he's been part of the family for 13 years, rehoming him isn't an option

So you need to find a way to pay for it. Your ex, I assume, pays you maintenance for his child. That is his only obligation to you.

The costs are less than £100 a month. I am sure you can find a way to manage this cost. maybe your son could get a paper round to help out with the costs of his beloved pet.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You can also get many medications online if you get the prescription from the vet (which they usually charge for), but can sometimes be cheaper depending on the medication
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I used to get them online but that became a huge struggle and now the local-ish pharmacy is the cheapest.

Unfortunately the child maintenance is being used to help pay for the dog which puts a strain on things, but I do always find a way to pay it even if it leaves my short for other things
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 6:50PM
    The dog lives a normal life whilst on his medication. I don't think a vet would put a dog down on request of someone just because they don't wish to pay for medication?

If no one is willing or able to pay for the medication and the dog will suffer otherwise, then yes they would.
    Who is registered as the dog's owner on the microchip? If it's your ex, he may have the final say if it ever came to it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Start selling unwanted stuff
    Get your child out to work, paper round / casual help on a market
    Get your OH to agree to pay half of the fees
    Check out on line web sites for the cheapest medication for your dog.
    Approach the PDSA / RSPCA and similar and see if they will help you
    Set up a go fund me type page for your dog
    See if local charity to you will hold a sponsored dog walk / cake sale etc to help

People here are putting suggestions forward, and you are knocking them all back.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills