LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Comments

• Hello Kitten *waves* Lovely to meet you :o The OH situation drives me mad in little bits.... Sometimes I don't mind, but other times it sends me up the wall! I've been feeling the stress a wee bit lately, purely because I really want to be out of debt and moving and starting our life, but he seems to just want to continue to be stuck in a rut. I really can't plod along for much longer :rotfl: I think it may just be because I'm a bit older than him (3 years). He's just finished uni and wants to relax whereas I was working the whole way through his uni course and am now feeling really quite fed up with it!

He has spent the last few days sending out applications again and got a couple of responses about interviews. Today I am going to make sure he follows up and actually calls the people to organise :A At this stage it'll only be a months wage he brings in before we move, but that would help massively. Not actually sure where we stand with his Very :o I log on, check the amount that's due and pay it once a month but I don't delve any deeper. I know that's burying my head in the sand kind of behaviour but that is his debt and he's going to be dealing with it when he can. OR I'll be properly dealing with it when he has an income and I can take stock and snowball him :rotfl:

I have a tentative plan for when he does have a job... Whenever I log into one of my current accounts (which is the joint one with him) there's a promotional message about a balance transfer CC. We have a large OD with them which never gets used and I move money through the account every month so I think we are OK/ not too risky customers. I don't want to take on any more debt but I got him to do an eligibility checker and he's very likely to be approved for a balance transfer card with them. He can't do it now as he has no income, but once he does I want to see if we can get that for him and move the majority of his CC debt onto that card. Then at least that would be 0% and we can focus on whatever is left on his Very.

It's lovely to hear about other people with degrees who aren't in some high flying graduate role... The confidence thing is massive! I have such a fear of rejection that I applied for graduate roles, got interviews and then was too afraid of failing and would cancel them. No one to blame but myself really :o
    We braved the shed during the clear out/ cleaning that I did last week :eek: Sofa is actually doing pretty well! Am now considering taking it down South with us now as my Dad's sofa is pretty uncomfortable/ small. I will have a look around the house and size up room etc. when I go down at the end of the week.....

... Which brings me to my biggest update! Interview scheduled for Friday! :cool::cool::cool: Still not heard back from the other one, but ideally they can do Friday or Saturday as well. Am just booking my travel down and it's pretty eye watering considering how skint I am. But it will be an investment in my future happiness.

Train works out at £150 whereas flying is a wee bit cheaper at £100... BUT if I were to fly I would need to pay £10 for a bus to and from the airport here and £12 for the train from the airport to my Dad's house and back. If the flight was to be delayed on the way to England, even by 20 minutes, I would miss the last train and have to shell out for a taxi at £35. So worst case scenario flying would be also about £150. Am going to go for the train :o Less faff and I can spend the 6 hour journey prepping for my interview :cool:

Am feeling very excited! Am sure the nerves will come, but right now it's pure excitement!

Tomorrow evening I am going to do some research on the roles again and prep myself for the competency based interviews. I prepped quite a lot for the telephone/ video interviews so it's just a case of building on that and trying to be confident (easier said than done :o)

DIA thank you :o Am going to show OH your post and hope he sees things from a different perspective. I believe it will be great for us :j

Today's plans are:
    1, Couch to 5k
    2. 10,000 steps
    2. Finish last bits of cleaning/ organising
    - Kitchen ware has been washed so am going to wrap in newspaper and put back into boxes
    - Go through the shoe shelf (a legit shelf by the door full of about 7 different people's shoes!)
    - Investigate if there is anything at the top of the wardrobe (am too short so will need to get the ladder)
    - Go with OH to pick out glasses (his parents are getting him some new ones for Christmas).
    - Get my eyes tested
    - Bring sofa out the shed and into the spare room to air it out :cool:
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • Wow on the decluttering! I wish I could get my OH on board. Trouble is he would see empty space and need to fill it.

I did a proper drop out job after I finished further education, then basic admin. It doesn't have to be forever. I invested in myself and ended up doing quite well career wise until I had the boys and threw it all away :p.
  • Well, currently on the train to England. Received an email about half 4 cancelling my interview :eek::( Apparently the role is no longer hiring... They haven't hired anyone else, just decided that they don't need any more staff. Absolutely fab. Wish they had maybe thought of that before advertising the role/ scheduling the interview. A gentleman from the recruitment team called me to discuss it and said "I'm sure it's disappointing but this kind of thing happens".

Maybe it does happen, but it feels like absolute pants. £150 down the drain... Will be great to see my Dad, but now I'm no further on in securing work for when OH and I move.

Other potential job emailed me asking if I would consider a different town, rather than the one I applied for. They said if I would then the hiring manager would like to interview me. Which is great, but that's not the role I applied for. The money would be the same but I would need to add in an hours commute each way and the subsequent costs which I really would rather not do.

Just feeling a little low right now. On my todd on the train... Feeling like a fraud because I am the only non-business man in the carriage. I really was feeling very positive about everything but right now am kind of sinking into negative thoughts.

Must try and remember that this is NOT my fault.

Hope everyone else is having a more successful Thursday.
  • It's not your fault at all, what a crap approach to recruitment. Have you asked them about expenses? They are not obliged to and we never offer, but sometimes they will pay out if you ask, particularly given the short notice.
  • lonelyrat wrote: »

Must try and remember that this is NOT my fault.

/QUOTE]
    Of course it isn't your fault. You'll be posting about a new and better job soon I bet and then I can go back and quote myself and feel smug :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's despicable. They were fully aware of your situation. Do ask about reimbursing you.

Make the most of it - go round the recruitment agencies. Enjoy time with your dad and talk through the move. You are doing great and being bold.

Yup I went to university expecting the £25k job on leaving and steadily rising. Doing a job using my brain and my skills. Travelled all over the country doing assessment centres. It was just after the crash and I was up against people 10 years older than me. I always got to the final stage. Never got the job. I've been a shop girl ever since. I struggled a lot with my health too. Spent a lot of time being resentful and angry and jealous. I've nearly moved on. I have been very lucky in my personal life and that's more important.

Keep on keeping on lovely. You're doing it xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Hi Lovely

I am so sorry about your disappointment about the interview. I hope you are having a good time at your dads and you feel refreshed.

I am in total agreement with kitten868 and it's one of the reasons I haven't posted on your thread. You earn the money, clean, cook, organise etc etc. What does he do all day?

And of course he might be nervous about moving down to your dads. It might just been fear of the unknown but perhaps he is worried your dad might question his efforts to find a job or support you by doing all the general housekeeping.

Perhaps the two of you could try recording exactly what you do each day. I think he might be surprised!

I hope you will take these comments and consider them carefully. What would you tell a friend?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aw Lovely, that is truly rubbish. Definitely get onto them for the expenses, given the short notice.

Do NOT let it knock you off track. You are doing fantastically well.

Like Kitten says, go see some local agencies while you are there. You will find a job, I have every faith.

How is OH doing? You said he had sent out a bunch of applications - any success? If he isn't working has he looked into whether he should be thinking about benefits. I am out of the loop with what is and isn't available. And if he can't get a paid job has he considered volunteering? It would give more purpose to his day than sleeping and gaming and can only help his CV.

Keep up the great work
    Luc x
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• I hope England is treating you well so far?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Thank you for popping in everyone :o Had a lovely time down with my Dad but was only there for a day and a bit as I was working on Sunday. Very much a fleeting visit, but we had a chat about how things will work when OH and I move down and I am even more excited now :cool: If I could just get a job?!

Still feeling a bit down in the dumps about the interview but am trying to just move on.... The other role that I had been asked to interview for has been filled so they want me to interview for another one in a different town. I would need to get the bus but means I'm not as flexible as they would want me to be. They want me to be available from 8am, but the first bus doesn't get me in until 8.45.

I missed a call from the gentleman in recruitment yesterday and he's emailed me asking to call him. I feel really nervy :o I guess I just need to say that I would need them to be more flexible with the start times if they were wanting me in that branch. But then I'm a bit on the fence... I don't even know if I do actually want it. I need a job before we can move down, buuuut I don't want to commute. I'm maybe just being too picky :o

There are other roles in the town I could go for... They would push me out my comfort zone a bit. I've been in customer service since I graduated and kind of feel like I don't have the skills to do anything else anymore. BUT I have Friday and Saturday off and I think I will spend that sending my CV off for other jobs.

Bleugh, feeling a bit down and stressed about it all at the moment. This is why I've stayed in my current job/ role for so long... I get too scared to take any chances.

Redofromstart I haven't mentioned expenses, but I may fire off an email to the recruitment team and see what they say. It was a lot of money for a 1 day visit with my Dad! Especially when I'm trying (pitifully :rotfl: to pay down this debt).
    You'll be posting about a new and better job soon I bet
    Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!

Kitten868
    I know! I feel like it was 100% not worth the time and energy I spent getting my degree. I guess my only consolation is at this rate I'll probably be so poor forever that I never pay my student loan back?! :rotfl:

I've missed you 117pauline!! I saw you posted a wee while ago on your diary and was very excited to see you here again :o

I do get where you're coming from with OH, I really do. It is frustrating for me that he isn't in work and is often asleep when I get home. He's going through some stuff MH wise at the moment, but I really don't see that he's trying to help himself which is hard. I do get that sometimes things are completely undo-able/ hopeless and so I try not to apply too much pressure to him but I do need things to change.

He's still sending out applications but refuses to go to the job centre/ employment agencies to ask for help finding work. It's also really annoying that he's turned down a few jobs. I think he doesn't quite understand the impact it has on me... Each month he's without an income I feel it's setting us back from our goals.

I think we need to have another chat... It's very hard though as I like to avoid confrontation at all costs :o Maybe it can be a task for this weekend as well.

Thank you LucifaI have felt slightly off kilter. Was great seeing my Dad but I've lost all mojo with everything it seems. I will get my head out my butt and start looking for other jobs/ calling this recruiter back.

He isn't able to get benefits as we live with his parents and his Mum is quite sick and get's them. She said that if he were to claim then hers would be reduced more than what he would get. I don't really understand how it works, but this is another reason I want to leave! Obviously I would rather he had a job but at this point I'm pulling my hair out with how much of a mess things are financially.

I will suggest volunteering to him, it's a good idea and hopefully it would make him feel a bit better. Having something/ anything on his CV for this period of time would be great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport