Flight ticket name change problem

When I arrived at London Heathrow Airport to check into my flight on Saturday 29th September
I got told that I wouldn’t be able to board the flight as my name on my boarding pass (Joe) did not match the name on my passport (Joseph).
I completely understand that this is a minor error on my behalf.
However, I have flown before under the name of ‘Joe’ on a boarding pass numerous times in the past and there has not been any issues with other airlines.

Unfortunately when trying to check into a Garuda Indonesia flight, this was a problem.
I got told that I would have to change the name on my boarding pass to match my name on my passport which I agreed was reasonable.
What came next shocked me, I then got told by Garuda Indonesia at London Heathrow Airport that “Our system is too old and we cannot change your name”. Which sounds absolutely ludicrous as I write this now... as a major world airline Garuda Indonesia cannot do a small name change?

I was then informed that my original ticket purchased was completely void.
And in order to board the flight I was going to have to purchase a completely new ticket. Which was FOUR times the price of my original ticket (£1939.00)

The flight itself was full, so I had to then cancel my first ticket in order for a seat to open up, to then re buy my own seat.

So having;
a) Lost the money for my original non refundable ticket (£535.31)
b) Purchased a completely new ticket (£1939.00) for the same seat.

My total cost of travel is now at £2474.31
And this is because “Our system is too old”
I find it bizarre and almost worrying that a leading world airline cannot perform a simple name change and then have the audacity to charge a ridiculous amount for a completely new ticket?

I was expecting to pay a fee for the name change, but the £1939.00 admin fee that I was charged is sickening.

If the name change was ‘Joe’ to ‘Fred’ then I would understand the new ticket etc. But ‘Joe’ is clearly an abbreviation for ‘Joseph’ and all of my ID’s etc matched up. It is obviously an oversight on my behalf.
What are people’s thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    JWilkinson wrote: »
    My total cost of travel is now at £2474.31
    And this is because “Our system is too old”

Without knowing the T&C of your ticket it's impossible to see if they allowed change of name. By the sound of it, they don't. Therefore your ticket is null and void and you needed to purchase a new one. Nothing to do with their system.

Joe, Jo, Joanne, Joseph - it doesn't matter how close, if they don't allow name changes then they don't allow them regardless of how close you think your name is to the ticket name.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    This website seems to confirm that a name change is not possible:

Please note, we are unable to make a name or time change to an existing flight booking made with Garuda Indonesia airlines. Customers will need to cancel their existing flight ticket, request a refund and purchase a new ticket via the our website.

https://www.tiket2.com/en/garuda-indonesia-booking

All airlines advise passengers to book using the name as listed in their passport, so you've had a very expensive lesson in why you should heed this advice. I hope you enjoyed Indonesia despite this.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JWilkinson wrote: »
    But ‘Joe’ is clearly an abbreviation for ‘Joseph’

In the UK yes, but perhaps not to an Indonesian company.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Garuda a leading world airline? Nah
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    koalakoala wrote: »
    Garuda a leading world airline? Nah

The airline is irrelevant: NO airline would agree to a name change on a cheap, non-refundable ticket. All this stuff about "our systems are old" is just Asian-style politeness.

The only advice I can give the OP is to ask for a refund of the tax element of the original ticket (APD): explain the circumstances and ask them to waive any administration charge they usually make for a tax refund.
  • When I book travel I always have to put my full name down, not the shortened one I commonly use. As such, Mick is always done as Michael on my ticket!, as per my passport. then I don't get into bother.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2018 at 6:14PM
    The airline is irrelevant: NO airline would agree to a name change on a cheap, non-refundable ticket.

Flybe and Norwegian do, there are others too.

I should add that not that it would make any difference to anybody flying on Garuda who miss spells their name is that quite a few airlines do allow

"name corrections"

which this is and it helps if this term is used when communicating with the airline, name change requests, unless it really is another person entirely will lead to problems.

Had the OP been flying on for example Emirates or BA then there may have been a small fee but his name, up to 3 characters, could have been corrected on the ticket.
  • When I book travel I always have to put my full name down, not the shortened one I commonly use. As such, Mick is always done as Michael on my ticket!, as per my passport. then I don't get into bother.

Quite.

My first name is the same as my father's, so I've always been known to family, friends and colleagues by my middle name. But when booking flights etc and am asked for my "first name" I always use my first name, because that's my first name on my passport.

Seems obvious to me. If my name was Frederick but I was known as Freddie, Fred or Ricky, I'd be using Frederick.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    "I got told that I wouldn’t be able to board the flight as my name on my boarding pass (Joe) did not match the name on my passport (Joseph).
    I completely understand that this is a minor error on my behalf."

Sorry to say it is a major error on your part, and you were not charged an admin fee as you had to buy a valid ticket at full price.

Lesson learned. It is extremely important to double check all names etc on boarding passes or this will happen.:(
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • It's because of cheap flight tickets haven't got the option to change passenger's name, especially non refundable tickets. One more thing, in asia countries, like my circumstance "chris" - "christopher" are also two different names.
    My advise is use the exact name on your passport.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure