MSE TicketySplit app discussion

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thelawnet wrote: »
    It says Reading to Redhill is not a valid route. However it's served non-stop by the Reading-Gatwick train, every half-an-hour.

Works for me.

Though those trains are not non stop - half of them stop at nearly every shack, the rest at main stations. No changes - yes. Non-stop - no
  • dmitry0211
    Options
    Hi all,

The first ticket I booked with East Coast was £23, all well and good. Had to order another one and the price has gone up to £54, not so happy.
    Here's what I've done:
    1. London to York -£18
    2. York to Newcastle - £9
    3. Newcastle to Edinburgh £5
    For a total of £32, that's £22 saved, or 40% saving. Oh and its the same train, same time!

Cheers
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    dmitry0211 wrote: »
    Hi all,

The first ticket I booked with East Coast was £23, all well and good. Had to order another one and the price has gone up to £54, not so happy.
    Here's what I've done:
    1. London to York -£18
    2. York to Newcastle - £9
    3. Newcastle to Edinburgh £5
    For a total of £32, that's £22 saved, or 40% saving. Oh and its the same train, same time!

Cheers

Thats because not every ticket is £23 - they only have a select few at cheaper advance prices per train.

But thats a good saving on your ticket
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Trialia, please remember that you do not have to use it.
    Also worth noting that no-one will mind if you don't use it.

Obviously, since - hey! - I can't actually use the app. I'm not rich enough to own an iPhone, and I bet most of the people on this site aren't either, so it's a bit much to plan your future-app strategy on the success of one that quite a lot of your demographic won't own.

Individually, probably not. But I bet there are plenty of people thinking along the same lines who either don't want to voice it or don't have the nerve, and if my little post can stand for those people, then that's fine by me.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trialia wrote: »
    Obviously, since - hey! - I can't actually use the app. I'm not rich enough to own an iPhone, and I bet most of the people on this site aren't either, so it's a bit much to plan your future-app strategy on the success of one that quite a lot of your demographic won't own.

Individually, probably not. But I bet there are plenty of people thinking along the same lines who either don't want to voice it or don't have the nerve, and if my little post can stand for those people, then that's fine by me.

If you've got a PC you CAN use the app - as has been stated here 3 or 4 times.

There - I've said it again. Let's hope that some will read it and take note rather than whinging that they can't.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    If you've got a PC you CAN use the app - as has been stated here 3 or 4 times.

There - I've said it again. Let's hope that some will read it and take note rather than whinging that they can't.
    But poor Trialia is sick of using mobile sites...
    Trialia wrote: »
    I'm sick of using mobile sites; unless and until there's an Android app for this I won't be using it.
    There is no way to help some people. ;)
  • blanik
    blanik Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 May 2012 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Hi,

Tried to do a search from Hatfield(herts) to Hoxton.

Hoxton not found - I presume because it is London Overground.

However I can buy a rail ticket from East Coast Trains. The ticket is marked NOT VIA LONDON ( the interchange is Highbury and Islington - so presumably valid as this is not a london terminus ).

There is a possible split saving by doing Hatfield -> Hadley Wood -> Hoxton

More Complicated Saving possible.

There are also Oyster PAYG fares from Hadley Wood to Hoxton which are cheaper than the train fares - using the same trains! However you would need to get off the train and swipe your Oyster card at Hadley Wood so not strictly split ticketing.
  • Funkyrobot
    Options
    As a Conductor who shares how to beat the system there is a few inaccuracies, for example only split Advance tickets if it's changing from 1 train to another, if it's an acknowledged connectin train (National Rail website tells what is minimum connection time at each station) therefore if connection is missed by delayed train Advance fare is accepted on next service albeit minus a reserved seat.having for example 2 Advance tickets for 1 journey, 1 passenger, 1 train ride regardless of whether the train stops there is a breach of Advance rules which require the passenger to start and end their journey at specified stations on specified timed train. Splitting other fares are ok as long as its not beating a time restriction, example a peak ticket for 2 stops up the line then off peak when say its after 9am. Train operators have responsibility to price specific regions and the lack of overlap particularly at peak time phenomenal, for example 2 passengers used to travel to same destination at peak, his colleague joined 20 mins down the line and the same restrictions on his ticket was £40 cheaper, often happens it there's 2 possible routes to your destination and your midway between 2 interchanges for connections. Check if the stop before or after is proportionately priced i.e not £40 less for 5 miles less journey. Peak fares of a journey over 50 miles are offered as full opens valid for 1 calendar month so carry the highest premium, under that mileage as day sgl/rtn or off peak day sgl/rtn. This is the basis of saving money splitting tickets, converting your full open tickets to open DAY sgl/rtn which are lower priced due to only valid for a day and non refundable once part used, full open an unused return portion can be refunded. Also look into split tickets using Rover fares (West Midlands Rover, Derbyshire Wayfarer etc) can be cheaper as often part subsidised by local Councils, less so since budget cuts, and often allow OAP bus pass to 50% discount it without rail card some other railcard can discount them too, most Rovers allow travel on Buses and Trams too around relevant Rover area, I could go on. Hope it's helped anyway
  • ejlmcdonald
    ejlmcdonald Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Journey for 2 adults and 2 kids with railcard.
    Used app to split Hooton (wirral) to Edinburgh, told me Preston.
    Then went to Trainline.
    Whole journey £90
    Split £44 preston to edinburgh +£27 open return to preston =£71
    Saving £19.
    Saving even better £29, on same time trains.

Excellent, thanks.
  • mattyw82
    mattyw82 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice how this would work from London Kings Cross to Durham. I can't seem to find a split fare. Also how does it work? Do you need to change trains each time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure