Router quality

I'm looking to upgrade our ADSL broadband for a faster deal. However last time I changed providers I had a big issue with the router I was sent.

We went from TalkTalk to EE and the router they sent out couldn't cope with the number of devices we have - we've several smart switches, smart lightbulbs and 3 Alexas as well as the usual phones, laptops and tablets. We were finding that the router was struggling to cope with all these so we'd end up with one device getting all the internet and the rest getting piddly speeds. EE basically told us that we had too many devices.

Using the older TalkTalk router fixed our issues as it could cope a perfectly with our setup unlike than the thing EE sent us.

Could we have similar problems with the router provided by our next ISP, or are the fibre routers generally better and more able to cope? I'm looking at Plusnet, although if I can get a better price off EE then I'll stay with them

Comments

• bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 10:21AM
    fwiw, you haven't mentioned what broadband speed you currently get from EE and the model of router they supplied? eg. 5mb, 10mb?

Also, there is nothing stopping you buying your own 'better' router, particularly one which supports QoS (Quality of Service) to solve the problem where one of your devices may be hogging all the bandwidth particularly on slower broadband connections if you are dissatisfied with the free basic router supplied by your ISP. The more expensive models can be used on ADSL and VDSL (FTTC) too. Prices vary, top of the range models include Archer VR900 and Netgear D7800.

In general, the fibre routers supplied by major ISPs are usually much better than the cheap units supplied to ADSL customers.

BT currently offer BT smart hub 1A, rarer 1B, and 2, and sets the benchmark.
    EE offer a rebadged BT smart hub 1B.

Sadly Plusnet only offer the now dated rebadged 2013 era BT Home Hub 5A. Some customers have reported non working 5 GHz wireless since March 2019 software update - Plusnet's current advice to affected customers is to turn off 5 GHz wifi until it is fixed with a future software upgrade. Non-plusnet advice is to buy a used BT smart hub off ebay.

TalkTalk offer their Wireless Hub since last year which is perceived to be as good as BT smart hub.
    Vodafone offer new VOX3 since the summer, replacing previously maligned fibre router which had poor wifi.

SKY and NOW offer the dated 2015 Sky Q hub. Sky also offer new 2019 Sky Broadband hub but costs an extra £5 pm as part of 'Boost' option.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    THe EE routers aren't very good.
  • bill888 wrote: »
    fwiw, you haven't mentioned what broadband speed you currently get from EE and the model of router they supplied? eg. 5mb, 10mb?
    We're getting only about 8Mb. Can't remember the make of the router, it's buried deep in a cupboard somewhere
    Also, there is nothing stopping you buying your own 'better' router, particularly one which supports QoS (Quality of Service) to solve the problem where one of your devices may be hogging all the bandwidth particularly on slower broadband connections if you are dissatisfied with the free basic router supplied by your ISP. The more expensive models can be used on ADSL and VDSL (FTTC) too. Prices vary, top of the range models include Archer VR900 and Netgear D7800.
    Don't some ISP's not let you know your login credentials for the router? This wasn't a problem when I went from TalkTalk to EE, the EE technical support even gave me it.

My other thought is to use the supplied router as just a modem and then use a standalone router for Wifi
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Scary wrote: »
    Don't some ISP's not let you know your login credentials for the router? This wasn't a problem when I went from TalkTalk to EE, the EE technical support even gave me it.

The vast majority of ISPs let you pick a username when you sign up. So the details for the router setup are almost always the same as those you use to log into the online portal for them, but this depends on the ISP (Plusnet for example you can pick whatever you like (if its available) but the router needs configuring with <username>@plusdsl.net for it to work).

The main exception is Sky. And maybe Now TV since they're effectively one and the same. But there are (or were) techniques available to extract the details from your Sky router to use a third party one.
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2019 at 1:43AM
    IMHO 8mb broadband speed is too slow for the numerous devices you own.

If you were to connect a 3rd party standalone router to an ISP supplied router, this will create a double-NAT firewall issue which could prevent some devices from working properly. eg. you may not be able to access CCTV or intelligent thermostat when away from home etc.

To avoid the issue, use a router which can offer OR operate in wireless access point mode. ie. not use 'router' mode.

Alternatively, consider mesh wifi systems such as Tenda MW3 or BT Whole Home wifi system if the aim is to improve wifi 'coverage'. These connect to existing ISP supplied router.

Most ISP supplied modem routers do not have 'bridge modem' mode which when enabled, would allow you to use any 3rd party standalone router of your choice in normal 'router' mode. TPlink TD-W9970 is probably cheapest 'new' device which does have a bridge modem mode option.

As pointed out by Neil Jones, I should have added that Sky/NOW can be problematic when choosing replacement VDSL modem routers.
  • Scary wrote: »
    We went from TalkTalk to EE and the router they sent out couldn't cope with the number of devices we have - we've several smart switches, smart lightbulbs and 3 Alexas as well as the usual phones, laptops and tablets. We were finding that the router was struggling to cope with all these so we'd end up with one device getting all the internet and the rest getting piddly speeds. EE basically told us that we had too many devices.
    You have all that lot and are still on ADSL? Why?

You may find a good quality router with things like QoS helps, as buying a decent router will also usually mean it has more internal processing power to cope with a large number of devices, but you may also need to look at the more fundamental matter of the total throughput of your connection and consider FTTC if it is available.

You could look at your current router and ensure the DHCP pool is big enough to handle every device.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure