Affected by the VW emissions issue? The deadline to join a lawsuit is approaching - MSE News

Former_MSE_Naomi
Former_MSE_Naomi Posts: 519 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 17 October 2018 at 5:45PM in Motoring
The deadline for drivers to join a lawsuit over the Volkswagen emissions controversy is fast approaching - here is what you need to know...
Read the full story:
'Affected by the VW emissions issue? The deadline to join a lawsuit is approaching'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    What have people actually lost?
    Did the emissions "hack" cause them to use more fuel?
    Was the resale/trade-in value of their vehicle affected by it?

The latter item is probably the only potential loss any VW owner may have faced, and even that it debatable.

I don't wish to seem harsh but I somewhat hope the class action fails ... it simply smacks of ambulance-chasing to me.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DoaM wrote: »
    I don't wish to seem harsh but I somewhat hope the class action fails ... it simply smacks of ambulance-chasing to me.
    And a shock that MSE should be supporting this - are the claims company an advertiser ?
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    owners of affected cars had £1000's of pound lopped of the values of their cars almost overnight.
    some garages wouldn't actually accept them as part exchange.

the replacement upgrade software that they offered to owners has significantly changed the running and performance of their cars. some have seen poor acceleration performance and others its a reduction in mpg.

it did effect the vw group market quite a bit.

as VW were the first to be caught it affected their market badly.
    as other manufacturers have also been caught the effect to them has not been as dramatic.

for me it definitely needs something doing. but im not into all this claims nonsense and wont be putting a claim in. im just happy with the car.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    minislim wrote: »
    owners of affected cars had £1000's of pound lopped of the values of their cars almost overnight.

the replacement upgrade software that they offered to owners has significantly changed the running and performance of their cars. some have seen poor acceleration performance and others its a reduction in mpg.

as other manufacturers have also been caught the effect to them has not been as dramatic.

for me it definitely needs something doing. but im not into all this claims nonsense and wont be putting a claim in. im just happy with the car.
    Where's your evidence of this? This so-called "scandal" has actually had little effect on new or used car sales or values for VW or any other manufacturer.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Where's your evidence of this? This so-called "scandal" has actually had little effect on new or used car sales or values for VW or any other manufacturer.

The 'evidence' usually comes from Slater and Gordon (other claims companies/sources of dis-information are available) and yes, there may have been a few weeks of turbulence in used values this has evened out and is a non-issue.

Much as I hate scams it's quite interesting to see the recent developments with Yourlawyers claiming Slater & Gordon claimants are registered with them :rotfl::rotfl:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Sorry but this is nonsense. I'd a Golf TDI and a Passat TDI over this timeframe and no issues at all with resale. I still have access to trade auction sites and over that time diesel VWs were regularly making over book price.

.. i remain unconvinced by that, but noone forced anyone to do the upgrade anyway.

It affected the VW Group market, yes, but frankly not one !!!! do i give if their profits were down a bit for a while or if they didnt sell quite so many cars.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    k3lvc wrote: »
    The 'evidence' usually comes from Slater and Gordon (other claims companies/sources of dis-information are available) and yes, there may have been a few weeks of turbulence in used values this has evened out and is a non-issue.

Much as I hate scams it's quite interesting to see the recent developments with Yourlawyers claiming Slater & Gordon claimants are registered with them :rotfl::rotfl:

... where unscrupulous salesmen used the excuse of it to get cars off people (mostly Daily Mail readers who were outraged and were "forced" to sell their VWs immediately) at well below trade price.
  • bimma
    bimma Posts: 133 Forumite
    So am I right in assuming that only those in the group action will be entitled to compensation if they win

Or will it be a case of if they win..anyone can claim ... similar to ppi?
    I have owned vw effected and my father/brother have aswell

But I'm thinking just wait rather than let them take 25p cent
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    25% of nothing is still nothing.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bimma
    bimma Posts: 133 Forumite
    Yes I know
    But on the off chance this group action is successful
    I take it people outside of the group action will have a legal right to apply/get compo aswell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure