Grrr - blue badge

Comments

• I take my uncle shopping once a week, it is the only time he gets out of the house. He is 84 and has mobility problems and walks with two sticks. He fought in Burma and had his feet smashed. He also has his knee fixed so it cannot bend.

I filled in the blue badge application form for him several months ago to which he received a phone call from them asking about his walking. Being the old fuddle gentleman he is he told them he was very well thank you and so was his walking!

His claim was regected and i am now having to go through it all again with doctors letters etc.

Meanwhile l park in disabled bays with him but l must admit no one has ever challanged us.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My mum has a blue badge. One day my dad took her into town and parked on a single yellow line while she went into the chemist. A traffic warden came up to my dad and my dad told him that he was waiting for my mum and it was her who the blue badge was for. The warden then told him that he wasn't allowed to stay in the car while the badge holder was not in the car.

Surely, it's the other way round? We always thought that the badge holder wasn't allowed to wait in the car while the able-bodied person ran their errands? That's why when I take my mum out and we park in a disabled spot she always comes into the shops, rather than us just run in for her - as we always thought this wasn't allowed?
  • Hi jackieb

I think you met an over-zealous traffic warden ( but I may be corrected). I would have thought both situations would have been ok as long as the blue badge was on display.
  • jodie114
    jodie114 Posts: 417 Forumite
    ohh sorry, i just had to put my two pennys in, this is a subject that is a topic of HUGE conversation in my family. I have had a blue badge since i was 20, now being 28, and get soooo many dirty looks, especially since i have a 5 year old child - apparently disabled people can't have children??:confused:

I walk with a limp, which is sometimes visable, it depends how much pain i am in, but with heart problems as well, need it for exertion purposes as well.

I must say the elderly really get my goat ( and i worked in a nursing home for 5 years before my accident), a lot seem to assume that when you get to 65 you are automatically entitled. i had to fight tooth and nail to get my badge - so why can't they????

Lol - i guess it doesn't help that my dad is also disabled and so is my grandad (both with badges)!!
    Ok, ok, i need to go back onto Weightwatchers, lost 7 stone..... 2 back on, this has to change.....Help!!!:eek:
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jackieb wrote: »
    My mum has a blue badge. One day my dad took her into town and parked on a single yellow line while she went into the chemist. A traffic warden came up to my dad and my dad told him that he was waiting for my mum and it was her who the blue badge was for. The warden then told him that he wasn't allowed to stay in the car while the badge holder was not in the car.

Surely, it's the other way round? We always thought that the badge holder wasn't allowed to wait in the car while the able-bodied person ran their errands? That's why when I take my mum out and we park in a disabled spot she always comes into the shops, rather than us just run in for her - as we always thought this wasn't allowed?

Typical isn't it? I'll check with my friend who used to be a TW - but I am sure this is incorrect. If your mother had been the driver (still disabled) and had left your father sitting in the car, there is no way the traffic warden could tell him he couldn't sit there - it isn't up to him to dictate who sits in their own car, he's just a jobsworth! I'd love to know how he would have explained it on the ticket.

I am sure you are correct in saying that the opposite is true - a non-disabled person cannot park using the badge even if it is to collect something on behalf of the disabled person sitting in the car.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Unity wrote: »
    I am sure you are correct in saying that the opposite is true - a non-disabled person cannot park using the badge even if it is to collect something on behalf of the disabled person sitting in the car.

I'm not so sure about this, although it would make sense. I read on a disabled web site that this is actually legal too, anyone find a definative answer?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I think in the booklet you get with a blue badge it says the disabled person can't sit in the car and wait while an ab passenger goes and does something. I don't still have my leaflet though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Rebel
    Rebel Posts: 189
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have to say the people that say parking fines issued by supermarkets may be mistaken.

If that were the case wheel clampers would not be able to operate at all, a supermarket/shop car park is private property and whoever owns that property can decide to do whatever they wish within reason on that property, INCLUDING employ wheel clampers to enforce disabled bay restrictions.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Rebel wrote: »
    I have to say the people that say parking fines issued by supermarkets may be mistaken.

If that were the case wheel clampers would not be able to operate at all, a supermarket/shop car park is private property and whoever owns that property can decide to do whatever they wish within reason on that property, INCLUDING employ wheel clampers to enforce disabled bay restrictions.

Indeed they can but it would then be a civil matter rather than a legal matter. For instance,if a private clamper clamped my motor and i chose to cut his clamp off and leave it nearby,he couldnt really involve the police and would have to pursue a civil claim in the courts. Same with Asda etc. It isnt on the public highway so its a civil dispute.
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Unity wrote: »
    a non-disabled person cannot park using the badge even if it is to collect something on behalf of the disabled person sitting in the car.
    so my 12 year old disabled son,who has a blue badge has to park the car does he??
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure