Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kpros
    • By Kpros 10th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Kpros
    Business post to garage instead of house
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    Business post to garage instead of house 10th Jul 18 at 10:39 AM
    Hi guys,

Little bit of a random one...

For two years I have ran my business using a PO Box. Due to expansion I have had to look at having an office. Instead of hiring an office space I took the decision to convert my big double garage into an office as the garage was not being used and the cost to renovate it worked out to be cheaper than what rent for a whole year in an office space would be.

I would like to move away from the PO Box and have post coming to an actual address however I am unsure if there is a way to have the post go into the office (which is obviously right beside my house) as opposed to through my house? I know we're not in the 90's anymore but I was thinking that maybe just having a word with the postman could be the easiest way.

If there is no way to do this, then I guess I will just stick with the PO Box but I would much prefer all business related communication to go into the office.

Thanks and sorry its a bit random!
Page 2
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 11th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    bazzyb
    so you're essentially saying that anybody who opts for a PO Box is being deceptive? ... Some very big companies too, some of which work under for example the ministry of justice.
    Originally posted by Kpros
    This is usually for a specific purpose, i.e. used in conjunction with Selectapost to pre-sort mail to individual departments where a business receives extremely high volumes of mail. Personally, when I see small/medium businesses who use a PO box address instead of a physical address it does put me off a little as it appears like they are trying to disguise their address for some reason - this is not intended as something personal against you but merely offering my point of view.

In practical terms if your mail is delivered to the house where you live and you instead want it in your garage next door where you work, why not simply pick the pile of mail up when you are in the house and carry it through to the garage? Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones!
    • aife
    • By aife 11th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    aife
    I think a lot of people running kitchen table type businesses are wary about giving out their home address - you don't necessarily want people turning up at your home.
    Don't really understand the issue with the mail thoiugh
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 18, 1:33 AM
    • 39,186 Posts
    • 36,099 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Don't really understand the issue with the mail thoiugh
    Originally posted by aife
    I can: it sounds as if the OP goes out to work, then comes home and deals with 'the business'. He wants to be able to do that before entering his house. If he enters the house to collect the post, all sorts of other things will immediately claim his attention, and it may be up to an hour before he can escape to the garage. At which point his partner will be fed up because she thought he was 'home'.

However, I'd say that would be solved if partner was willing to walk the post through to the garage. But that assumes the OP doesn't mind her going into the garage when he's not there ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 12th Jul 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Put a letter box in the internal door, get wife to sort mail & put it through internal letter box.
    • Kpros
    • By Kpros 12th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Kpros
    Thanks savvysue...somebody finally understood!

Bazzy - as I work with/represent a number of businesses who use PO Box I can assure you that it is not always for a specific purpose but I do understand your point.

All (sensible) replies considered I will just have the post going through my normal house and I thank everybody who offered me some kind of positive/constructive/supportive view or response. I am still baffled at some peoples attitudes on here though. I don't really see the point in replying if you're going to be an idiot.
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    J B
    Prior to making the internal modifications my builder confirmed that I did not need permission and there was no requirement for me to notify anybody.
    Originally posted by Kpros

Sadly, 'the builder' doesn't have to comply with the rules, that's your job!

He may have been correct, or he may have been saying that to get on with the job - who knows?
    • Kpros
    • By Kpros 13th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Kpros
    Sadly, 'the builder' doesn't have to comply with the rules, that's your job!

He may have been correct, or he may have been saying that to get on with the job - who knows?
    Originally posted by J B
    Haha, agreed! Luckily I did my due diligence. I checked the planning portal and he had done hundreds of these types of jobs prior to mine so I felt very comfortable!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

235Posts Today

1,481Users online

Martin's Twitter