Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aloont
    • By Aloont 11th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aloont
    Annual travel insurance
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    Annual travel insurance 11th Jul 18 at 6:12 PM
    Help
    The wife booked a holiday and annual travel insurance starting when we go on holiday, but we had to cancel as daughter broke her arm week before going and doctors said she can’t fly the insurance company is now refusing to pay out as start date is the day departure, if this was single trip cover we would of been covered why not annual cover
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 11th Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    Annual travel insurance should state the day you take it out or you are not covered if anything happens before the start date.

Single trip is the one you start on the day of your trip as it is just for one trip.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 37,988 Posts
    • 22,099 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    Pointless starting an annual policy on the day you travel - you lose the benefit of cancellation cover as you have discovered
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 15,304 Posts
    • 21,166 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    You take out single trip cover when you have decided to go on a holiday and what dates. The cover runs from the day you take out the policy to the end date of the holiday.

With annual cover, you can decide when the policy starts. The usual reason for this is that you may already have a policy in place with another provider and don't want your new policy to start until that ends.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 11th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 7,528 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    Oh dear you've misunderstood how annual cover works. With annual cover you start it as soon as you've booked a holiday, or to start as soon as your existing annual policy finishes if you have trips already booked to keep continuous cover, as you aren't covered for cancellations if it's not started yet.

Single trip cover starts as soon as you buy it, but you need to enter the dates you'll be away.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

2,311Users online

Martin's Twitter