How many credit cards should I have?

I'm rebuilding my credit history after a bankruptcy in 2013 along with my wife who was also made bankrupt.

We now have a Capital 1 card and an Aqua card each which will be paid in full each month.

I was wondering if two cards is enough or maybe we should have 3?

Are there any other methods of building a repayment history?

Would a Currys loan help?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It won't make much difference to building history, but a couple of back ups are useful.

Only take a Curry's loan if you desperately need something from Currys and can't afford it. But not buying it at all would be better.

All you need now is time.
  • wharty
    wharty Posts: 426 Forumite
    It won't make much difference to building history, but a couple of back ups are useful.

Only take a Curry's loan if you desperately need something from Currys and can't afford it. But not buying it at all would be better.

All you need now is time.

Thanks.

How many months of payments on our cards would you think would make us more attractive to lenders?

Our Capital 1 cards only have a £750 limit so don't really want to use more than £225 ish per month but I was under the impression we would get limit increases after a short time has passed??

We want a mortgage but we just don't have any positive repayment history as we didn't want to ever take out cards or loans again.

We don't really need anything other than a new oven so considered a Currys loan for that. Would the repayments make no difference if we bought the oven on finance?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    You'd be better off paying for the oven in full if you have the cash. If you do have to take finance, clear it as soon as you can.

You can use your cards as much as you want, as long as you are clearing in full each month. It's a very low limit, so just don't go over.

Every month will put you in a better position. Use a decent broker when it comes to getting a mortgage (not one out of an estate agent).
  • Wasn't this discussed in your thread here?: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5829234

Also don't go down the Loqbox route whatever you do...
  • wharty
    wharty Posts: 426 Forumite
    !!! wrote: »
    Wasn't this discussed in your thread here?: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5829234

Also don't go down the Loqbox route whatever you do...

No not really it’s similar though.We have taken Aqua out since then and cancelled Loqbox so was wondering if there were any other options apart from credit cards. The curry’s finance is something we are thinking about but from what I have read a small loan may look like we don’t have any money.

Do you have any suggestions for adding to our repayment history that isn’t a credit card, small loan or phone contract?

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    You don't need anything else.
  • 2 Cards is more than enough to build history.

Don!!!8217;t get loans unless you really need them or they would benefit you. (Eg. Cooker has broken down can!!!8217;t cook meals and really need a new one but don!!!8217;t have the cash upfront.)

You won!!!8217;t get a mortgage anyway (at least not one with a decent interest rate) until your bankrupcy has dropped off.
  • Sorry for posting to an old thread, but this might be useful for some people.

If you want to improve your credit score, find a company that reports your monthly repayments to ALL THREE major credit bureaux. Some companies only report to Experian, some only report to Equifax or CallCredit. But there are firms that report to all three, which is exactly what you want if you're building your credit history. I personally ask each company individually, either on Facebook or via email and ask them about reporting to CRAs.

If you take out a loan from a lender who only reports to, say, CallCredit, your credit history of this loan repayments will only show up on your CallCredit report. Later you choose to take out another loan from a different lender who uses only Experian for credit-checking their applicants. This lender won't see the history of your previous loan history simply because it uses different credit reference agency and, as far as I know, credit ref. agencies don't share informations with each other. The good thing is that most companies today use at least two CRAs.
    The credit cards mentioned in OP are designed specifically for building or improving credit history, so I assume they report to all three major credit bureaux.

My Asda credit card, for example, shows up on all my credit reports. Aviva insurance, however, only reports to CallCredit, so it only shows on my CallCredit report. It seems like both Experian and Equifax have no idea about my Aviva insurance at all.

By the way, I would also try service such as LOQBOX. I have no personal experience with it yet, but you can google some reviews and even some threads here on MSE forum. Just google "Loqbox MSE forum" and make sure you know all the pros and cons before you apply. Good luck ;)
  • SlovakianGuy
    SlovakianGuy Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 November 2018 at 10:42PM
    Also consider different types of credit accounts. One credit card + one phone contract + one small loan are 3 different types of credit accounts whereas 3 credit cards are the same type of "revolving credit" or whatever it's called. There is no problem with having 3 credit cards (as long as you don't apply for all three in very short period of time), but like I said, different types of credit accounts look more attractive to lenders because it shows them that you can manage various types of credit. If you pay household bills, car insurance (monthly), that's just more plus points for you.

And remember, no lender will ever see your credit score - the three digit number. This is only an indication of what credit reference agencies think of how likely you are to be accepted for loans, credit cards, etc. CRAs only show it to you, but lenders have their own scoring models and use their own methods and scales.

What really counts is credit history of nice regular monthly repayments without any late or missed payments. And also (to a less extent) credit utilisation ratio, average age of all your credit accounts, etc.

If you can, keep your credit cards active "forever". Even if you don't need them or if you have a newer better card, just buy something for 10 quids every month even on that old card. After a couple of years, you will have credit accounts with long history of monthly payments. Set up direct debits to pay in full each month, so you will never forget to make payment and never pay any interest. It's also useful to have multiple direct debits, at least if you have an interest-paying bank account, which often requires some active DDs.

I will never close my Asda credit card since it is my very first credit card in the UK with longest history of payments. Actually, I think I will never close any of my cards if I don't have a damn good reason for it.
  • No one is trying to improve their credit score here...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure