Ex soon out of prison

My ex H and father of my two children is due to be released from prison at Christmas. He will have served three years of a six year sentence for fraud.

Should I start the CSA process now? He'll no doubt go back to be being self employed and minimise his profit to zero so I doubt I'll get a penny but nonetheless....

Given his track record, will the CSA look deeper into anything he declares or simply take what he says as true? I've managed almost three years without him (and frankly years before that too) so I'm wondering if this is going to be worth the hassle.....

Comments

• Give the man a chance to get on his feet for pitys sake.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I'd say it's worth asking the CSA ( or CAB ). If the hassle gets too much, you can choose to stop.

I'm guessing from the tone, that the fraud wasn't him trying to make money to better support you and your children.
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there already an open case?

If so just tell them his release date.
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if you think there is no prospect of him paying you directly then you should start your case asap but this would depend on the ages of the children
    you will get nothing while he is in prison, but if he goes on benefit when he is released then you would get £7pw.
    if he goes S/E then the CMS will use whatever he declares to HMRC but this could be nothing until April 2019. they will not investigate his earnings but simply take what he has declared. it is up to HMRC to investigate tax returns.
    it may be difficult to get any money in the short term, but it is better to have a case open -you don't need to do anything as CMS will get the updates from HMRC on his income and from DWP on his benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure