PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    A dozen eggs acquired. As well as a jar of peanut butter (as I had to scrape the last tiny bits out of the jar at lunchtime for my sandwich). Both from Lidl for £2.74. Total now £216.50/£300
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am starting my August challenge today instead of Friday as I had run out of cereal for breakfast and popped into B&M for a washing up bowl and picked up several items on Fridays list cheaper than Aldi.

The cereal I wanted in Sains was reduced by a third as OOD by September so picked up 3 boxes and took the 2 off my Mr T order for Friday. I also took off the tinned ham (for camping) I had on my order as it was significantly cheaper in B&M. The tin looked small so I didn't buy it this morning but when I checked it was the same size as what I ordered from Mr T so will pop back and get 2 at £1.50 instead of 1 @ £2.99 that wouldn't have been big enough for tea for 3.

My total is now £43/£360.

The aldi and Mr T shops on Friday will add another £120 leaving me just under £20 over the next 2 weeks for beer and fresh bits when we are at home. All food bought on our 2 breaks over the next 2 weeks will come out of the holiday fund.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    So we did manage to come in budget for July, had £1.13 left over.

We have so far spent £33.71 on bulk items (items bought in previous months but knew wouldn't get around to till this month. I know I should do a bulk buy spend fund but this works so don't want to muck around) and £7.94 on a small shop today. Totalling £41.65.

£41.65/£155.
    £113.35 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • so far i have spent £50 at the butchers.

they do a £10 tray day at the end of each month so i tend to stock up there every couple of months. i got topside of beef, garlic butter chicken (4 meals & 1 lunch worth), chicken breasts (4 meals worth), mince (4x500g) and sirloin steak (3 meals worth). we don't eat meat every night so it lasts us quite a while.

so far i'm £50/£250
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    £3.74 today - M&S YS pastries, bread, sundried tomato rolls, salad, biscuits.

Making sandwiches for work and aiming for a NS day tomorrow, with te from the freezer. Must remember and take water bottle to the office!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was shocking last month, way over budget but did get my stocks up of things like cat food, dishwasher tablets etc while they were on a special and I move into August with a freezer full so would like my budget to be under this month if i can do it.
    Can I be put down for £190 please:) for August
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Another £7.70 today on car food and chewing gum, taking my total so far to £40.24/£250.

Yikes, it's shocking how quick it mounts up isn't it? I'd really like to get through the weekend without spending anything else, except on milk.
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Spent £30.37 on 1st Aug at Tesco £30.37/£350
    NSD on 2nd
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • olgemama
    olgemama Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bit late with my July total - had a crazy busy end of month.
    I budgeted £600 and spent £624.15 - As my first month budgeting I'm really pleased.
    I analysed my spend out as someone suggested, and found that really helpful.
    Food - £434.02
    Toilettries - £37.39
    Cleaning produts - £9.26
    Entertaining - £92.43
    Alcohol - £51.05

I'm sticking with a £600 budget for August, as although I went slightly over last month we have less entertaining in the diary this month.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    First spends of August yesterday £3.07 in Aldi, took a friend for some shopping, also £3 donation,
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport