Claim line direct ?

Hello
I had a phone call off this company and was told I had over 5000 pounds in ppi to claim back they just needed 500 pound to get the ball rolling so I paid it on my credit card, so my question is is the company legit or have I just been conned out of 500 quid ?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to ring the firm up tomorrow and demand any contract you have be cancelled and your money refunded as per section 4 of their terms and conditions - you have 14 days to cancel it (cooling off period). Do not be talked out of it by hard sell

There is no "£5000" to claim back - they are flat out lying on that - your financial data is not in the public domain so how do they know if you even paid PPI let alone are due a refund? They are just fishing for people - CMCs are unnecessary but most have the good sense to only bill you if they win anything, an upfront fee with no guarantee of cost is 100% alarm bells

If they refuse, involve your credit card company immediately and dispute this transaction - an upfront fee for a free of charge process is a big no-no - you should also complain to formally to the company as per:

http://www.claimlinedirect.co.uk/complaints-procedure/
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello
    I had a phone call off this company and was told I had over 5000 pounds in ppi to claim back they just needed 500 pound to get the ball rolling so I paid it on my credit card, so my question is is the company legit or have I just been conned out of 500 quid ?

If it has happened as you describe it then it's a very common fraud known as advance fee fraud. if you ever watched an episode of Hustle, you would know the format. They appeal to your greed by dangling something you want in front of you and then tell you that to get it you need to pay a smaller amount.

There is no pot of money with PPI. To get redress, you need to make a complaint to the bank. The banks dont use third party companies like this.

You may also find yourself placed on a mugs list. This means that they have identified you as an easy target and other scammers may apply.

That response is based on how you described what happened. If it didnt happen that way, then it may just be a CMC telling lies to you about this £5,000 (another common outcome). Telling lies is a fraud as well. Just a different type.

Follow the info Nasqueron has suggested. You should also complain to the ministry of justice as they need to know about companies acting this way.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alison

Can I ask; 5 months on, were they bone fide or was it a scam?

bdb5
  • Is there any update on ClaimLine Direct? Are they legit or are they scammers?

I have just found out that my 75yo Mum has sent them 400 quid that she took out on her credit card as she didn't have the money.

I am very keen to find out if her money is safe.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Her money has gone. It cant be safe as she has spent it on their services.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JoP-S wrote: »
    Is there any update on ClaimLine Direct? Are they legit or are they scammers?

I have just found out that my 75yo Mum has sent them 400 quid that she took out on her credit card as she didn't have the money.

I am very keen to find out if her money is safe.
    I would get the complaint in as outlined above if I were you.
  • A first time poster telling us a business is fine despite it operating in a manner favoured by scammers.

Sounds fishy to me.
  • R164ard
    R164ard Posts: 14 Forumite
    Finally got some answers from the company that's been cold calling me for months despite my registration with the TPA. Claim Line Direct. They hide their number behind an international flag when they call - immediately fishy. Click 9 to be removed from list - doesn't work. They still call... Click 5 and ask any sort of question and they hang up on you... even fishier. I kept the girl talking for ages today - at least a telecoms company made a few beans out of it. Finally got the company name and number 0333 4432702. Got a call back telling me I had a claim and asking for £495 to pursue it. I KNOW I have NEVER paid PPI in my life. HOW in 5 MINUTES could they have found differently - especially on bogus data.

The thought of medicated bargepoles springs to mind.
  • I suggest you make a formal complaint to [EMAIL="info@claimlinedirect.co.uk"]info@claimlinedirect.co.uk[/EMAIL] copying in consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk
  • I have just been cold called by Claimline direct who had all my details (how) and offered a no claim no fee deal to advance a PPI claim.I signed an e document to agree. Have I been scammed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure