PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have now watched the fnal episode. This one was about alien invasion, together with people who are absolutely convinced that they have spent some time as alien abductees, been probed by aliens, have terminated pregnancies of alien babies or convinced that there is a large number of human-alien hybrids concealed within the general population. Sadly, I felt this was a little far-fetched to the extent of rolling around giggling, not recommended with a cup of tea and also I dropped a stitch in my knitting.
    There were no bug out preps in this one, in an earlier one, a man had buried a lot of disused coaches underground to form the basis of a new society. There was a lack of information about how he managed this and I would have liked to know more about the logistics of moving from coach to coach. There was a huge variation in the time people felt that they would need to hide in their shelters of whatever description and one person advised that you needed to be further from the sea than I think possible in this country. Or it might have been further away from other people, again difficult in a small and densely populated country. I'm sure that I could find a remote place but equally sure that others would have had the same idea.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I foresee a lucrative career in storyteller criticism - good or bad enough to drop a stitch in the knitting adds a distinct extra urgency & credibility to the opinion!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Brilliant! Totally agree with DforV, ancient, you're on a roll there :):):)

Also agree with maryb - I think cyberattack will be the new form of warfare for a lot of the time. And the ones that have already happened are probably the equivalent of NK learning how to shove a nuke on top of an ICBM :( In all seriousness, when you look at the chaos caused by the existing ones - hospitals, transport, public transport, banking, consumer spending, all stopped or severely curtailed at different times - it just makes sense that a rival country would choose this, and let the affected country pull itself to pieces, rather than military attack. They still get most of the economic and social control boost of warfare, without the accompanying problems.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was in Bromley this morning and all the bank cash machines were down. Not just one bank, it was the whole Link system. And people couldn't access their accounts for payments even if they went to the counter Anyone else affected in other areas? It was up and running again by just after 10.00, so I joked to the cashier that it looked like it wasn't NK this time. She smiled but looked a bit worried
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • I wonder how things are going today for anyone Completing on selling and/or buying a house today then....

Is vague on "details dealt with by solicitors" but part of it is checking the money is actually there in the bank when it's due to be (be it by mortgage or whatever....) I guess....
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    I was in Bromley this morning and all the bank cash machines were down. Not just one bank, it was the whole Link system. And people couldn't access their accounts for payments even if they went to the counter Anyone else affected in other areas? It was up and running again by just after 10.00, so I joked to the cashier that it looked like it wasn't NK this time. She smiled but looked a bit worried

We had no problem at an ATM in Bexleyheath, but that was later in the morning, about 11.45 I think.
  • Oi you lot, I go away for 11 days and come back to find you're planning Armageddon without me????? SWIZZ!!!!!

In answer to the question of what we would eat the answer is probably each other!!!

The superpower that no one is chucking into the melting pot for world influence and which is currently keeping very quiet is India which they reckon will be the biggest economy on the planet by 2050 and has an extremely large population and is proving to be very successful in all commercial areas and has a willing and very hard working workforce. Should the USA really reach decline of empire I wouldn't rule out India in any area for becoming the 'courted and feted' new empire that we all want to be allied to!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing to do with prepping, but I thought you guys might enjoy this little girl:

https://twitter.com/roger_zhat/status/896327865947574272
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i had a personal shtf last weekend i went in work last sunday on an early
    with knee pain but wearing a support, i didnt feel like it , but i look after a guy with autism who only feels comfortable with 3 staff and there was already cover on the late shift 230pm ...10pm.....so i went in would take client for dinner at least he would have 1 good meal....my knee went really bad i was nearly crawling ....but just about survived till 3pm ..... when i got home knee inflamed i couldnt walk.....in agony got around my flat using a stick as a crutch with nails in it.... took me 15 minutes to shuffle to kitchen.....to eat cold tins of beans thankfully i had a cupboard full and lots of bottled water in fridge ... by sunday night i discovered i could use a breakfast chair as a zimmer frame.... i also had a stock of painkillers .... i lived in my recliner chair for 24 hours good job i had stock of painkillers phoned drs monday but no meds delivered till tuesday then colleagues brought me a zimmer frame .... didnt leave house till this saturday.....the moral is my prepps made an awful situation just about bearable and i ordered crutches from ammazin in case it happens again and online shopping from tosspots also made it bearable....sorry for going on but was a rude awakening
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Hope that clears up soon Daz, that sounds horrible - take life easy and let that heal xx. But yes, preps are for these unforseen things and they do happen to all of us at some point. Our nearest shop is 15 miles - apart from a tiny village postoffice/general store 11 miles - and we found it far better to get online delivery from Sainsbugs for £1, it would cost more in diesel to go, plus I'm often too knackered to walk right round and get everything. And I find it easier to have it all in front of me on the screen, I forget less that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure