Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 12th Aug 17, 10:39 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    gerlep
    RBS Reclaim Enquiry
    • 12th Aug 17, 10:39 AM
    RBS Reclaim Enquiry 12th Aug 17 at 10:39 AM
    I tried this a few years ago, and the RBS flatly refused my request. It went to the Ombudsman who sided with RBS, on the basis, that a full 3 years after having a packaged account, which i didn't want or need, I checked their site for what travel insurance the card held! An absolute joke of a decision. Still angry about it. Is there anyway I can reapply or appeal?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Aug 17, 12:19 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:19 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:19 PM
    An absolute joke of a decision.
    No Joke. It is legally correct.

Timebars exist to prevent businesses or individuals being subject to complaints/actions that would be difficult to support due to time passed. It also protects them from frivolous or try-it-on complaints. Such as having a product that you never complained about or had issues with until a website told you that you could get some money back by making a complaint.

Is there anyway I can reapply or appeal?
    No, You are timebarred.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 12th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    No Joke. It is legally correct.

Timebars exist to prevent businesses or individuals being subject to complaints/actions that would be difficult to support due to time passed. It also protects them from frivolous or try-it-on complaints. Such as having a product that you never complained about or had issues with until a website told you that you could get some money back by making a complaint.

No, You are timebarred.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Thanks for this info, appreciate you getting back to me. How long does a 'timebar' last? thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    How long does a 'timebar' last?
    Forever.

One a timebar is in place, it is there for good. You can consider the issue closed after that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 20,635 Posts
    • 11,483 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    How long does a 'timebar' last?
    Originally posted by gerlep
    It's a bar on you complaining after a certain amount of time has elapsed and doesn't somehow expire.

Your complaint is now over.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 13th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    It's a bar on you complaining after a certain amount of time has elapsed and doesn't somehow expire.

Your complaint is now over.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    We'll see.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Aug 17, 11:04 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:04 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 11:04 PM
    We'll see.
    There is no wishy washy about it. A timebar that the FOS have accepted means its all over.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 18th Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    • 18th Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    • 18th Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    There is no wishy washy about it. A timebar that the FOS have accepted means its all over.
    Haha I believe you, i just posted that as to see if you could respond with humour, and use one of those little smilies at the side....no luck alas....
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Aug 17, 10:28 PM
    • 20,635 Posts
    • 11,483 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:28 PM
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:28 PM
    Haha I believe you, i just posted that as to see if you could respond with humour
    Most people would not react well to anyone here jovially telling them that their complaint is over.

So no "smilie" for you, I'm afraid.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 17th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    Most people would not react well to anyone here jovially telling them that their complaint is over.

So no "smilie" for you, I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Oh contraire! a big smilie from me, as today the RBS agreed to refund me 811.81. Seems there was a volume of complaints about how poorly they handled initial complaints. So maybe you shouldn't be too hasty with such absolutes, about timebars, and complaints being fully closed. RBS have admitted they made an error, so maybe you could do likewise. Here's that smilie
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Or is it a plevin refund? Timebar does not apply to that.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 17th Feb 18, 12:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    Don't know and don't care. Bottom line is, the 'advice' given on here was 100% wrong.
    Still smiling.
    • sussexbhoy
    • By sussexbhoy 17th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    sussexbhoy
    It was a packaged account, how would Plevin apply?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    It was a packaged account, how would Plevin apply?
    Originally posted by sussexbhoy
    Didnt look at post 1.

Bottom line is, the 'advice' given on here was 100% wrong.
    No it wasnt.

For some reason, you received a payout now but that does not mean the information here was incorrect. A FOS rejection is the end of it normally.

We are only able to respond to the information you give us. Based on what you have said, the complaint ended when the FOS rejected it. That is the end of it.

Getting lucky through no action from you does not make the information incorrect.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 17th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    Didnt look at post 1.

No it wasnt.

For some reason, you received a payout now but that does not mean the information here was incorrect. A FOS rejection is the end of it normally.

We are only able to respond to the information you give us. Based on what you have said, the complaint ended when the FOS rejected it. That is the end of it.

Getting lucky through no action from you does not make the information incorrect.
    Not sure how you can say when the FOS rejected it, it was the end of it. It clearly wasn't. And it was nothing to do with 'luck', it was to do with perseverance, and hours spent righting a wrong. Had i listened to you, i wouldn't have got a refund. Still though just goes to show that even the 'experts' can be wrong. Even in all of this correspondence, let's see if you can bring yourself to say, "hey well done, you got a win!"
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Not sure how you can say when the FOS rejected it, it was the end of it. It clearly wasn't.
    Because when the FOS reject it, that is game over.

And it was nothing to do with 'luck', it was to do with perseverance, and hours spent righting a wrong. Had i listened to you, i wouldn't have got a refund.
    See, you are adding new information after the event. We can only respond on the information given. Nowhere in this thread did you say that you felt the decision was wrong and the reasons why you thought it was wrong. As I said, we can only go on what you say.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 17th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    Because when the FOS reject it, that is game over.
    Jeez! It clearly wasn't!!

See, you are adding new information after the event. We can only respond on the information given. Nowhere in this thread did you say that you felt the decision was wrong and the reasons why you thought it was wrong. As I said, we can only go on what you say.
    You should be in politics. I said it was unfair. The tone of all of your advice in this thread has been basically 'give up'. Well I didn't. How about using my example in future similar examples. You know using empirical evidence, instead of digging your heels in.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 93,410 Posts
    • 60,929 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The tone of all of your advice in this thread has been basically 'give up'.
    And it still would be based on the information available.

You didnt say that you felt their decision was wrong or that you had information to counter their decision. We can only go by what is said.

If you only give us a snippet of information and hold back on info, then any discussion is going to be limited. The fact is that when the FOS say no, that is the end of the game unless the decision is based on incorrect or incomplete information. If that information is available to change the decision then they will but that is extremely rare as usually, by the time it has got to that stage, that information has been supplied.
    • gerlep
    • By gerlep 17th Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gerlep
    And it still would be based on the information available.

You didnt say that you felt their decision was wrong or that you had information to counter their decision. We can only go by what is said.

If you only give us a snippet of information and hold back on info, then any discussion is going to be limited. The fact is that when the FOS say no, that is the end of the game unless the decision is based on incorrect or incomplete information. If that information is available to change the decision then they will but that is extremely rare as usually, by the time it has got to that stage, that information has been supplied.
    No you are wrong, the FOS got the same information I provided from the get go. It was RBS who decided to review the initial complaint after I persevered. So it not indeed a 'fact' and it wasn't 'game over'. Also check out the arrogant tone in posting you did earlier: "Timebars exist to prevent businesses or individuals being subject to complaints/actions that would be difficult to support due to time passed. It also protects them from frivolous or try-it-on complaints. Such as having a product that you never complained about or had issues with until a website told you that you could get some money back by making a complaint."
    You can't seem to accept the FACT that have gone !!!! over tit in this one. When in fact you could use this an example as to someone who fought on, and got their just reward.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,792 Thanks
    societys child
    . . . their just reward sorry, it just made my laugh

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

3,652Users online

Martin's Twitter