How to profit from BREXIT

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Alexland wrote: »
    Yum, had forgotten about them, can I reserve the Treacle Pudding please?

If you like treaclish stuff, allow me to recommend Walkers Treacle Toffees as stocked by Sainsburys.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2018 at 7:25AM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Why wait for Brexit? Everyday is a potential trading day. News a plenty to base investment decisions on. The world isn't standing still.

Because Brexit isn't an everyday occurrence - is a large, one-off change, with unpredictable consequences.

Trading based on news can be done any day, as you point out, and probably doesn't even work, since the market price already contains the news.

The point is to look for the obvious-only-in-hindsight trade which will make a great deal of money.

In Michael Lewis's book about his time at Solomon Brothers, "Liar's Poker", he talks about the Chernobyl-disaster news reaching London. Almost all the traders rushed to buy oil futures, reasoning that the loss of a major nuke would create demand for other energy sources. Of course, most lost money, because everyone was buying the same asset, overpricing it.

The one trader, who made a lot of money, was the one who went laterally, and bought potato or grain futures (I forget which). He'd realized, unlike anyone else, that the nuclear contamination would render enormous areas of Central Europe unfit to grow food.

The jokes this thread are mildly funny (thanks, guys, sigh), but somewhere, there is serious money to be made from this paradigm shift - and it'll be in a non-obvious place.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    but somewhere, there is serious money to be made from this paradigm shift - and it'll be in a non-obvious place.
    Brexit will be small beer compared to the changes outlined in the IPCC report this week. It should not be too difficult to work out investment opportunities arising from the changes recommended.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    BLB53 wrote: »
    Brexit will be small beer compared to ...

Compared to a Corbyn government, for instance. Compared to the huge market crash I expect sometime between this month and the Spring of '21, say. Compared to Italexit, compared to the collapse of a huge German bank I'd be wise not to name, compared to the assassination of Mr Trump, compared to the fall of the House of Saud, compared to civil war in China, compared to ...
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you start with a large pile of cash and an above-average risk appetite. There will be plenty of "distressed assetts" and "special situations": the trick will be working out which businesses will survive and prosper.

My top tip: in a time of uncertainty people will need cheering up, and when food imports become problematic any kind of comfort food that can be made from locally-sourced ingredients will be at a premium (either things we produce ourselves, or things that keep and so will have been stockpiled). All in all, cake is a sure thing. Pattisserie Valerie, anyone?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    How can one exploit the opportunities, uncertainties, hope and fears to become rich?

Take out adverts in the national press, Facebook and Google Adwords advertising a "Brexit-proof" investment paying 8% per annum.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    and don't forget to call it "guaranteed".
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No, "guaranteed" is a protected term and the FCA might actually lumber into action. "Assured", "Insured", "Asset-backed" or "Ensorceled by magical anti-default fairies" are all fine and dandy however.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Having read some of the Technical Notices issued by HM Gov to companies on how to deal with Brexit, a common piece of advice is to employ the services of someone who understands customs processes.
    So could be a good time to move into that line of business or even more lucrative become a consultant on the subject !
  • I'm investing in Humblepie plc.

Thoughts being that however things develop a not insignificant part of the population will be eating it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure