PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Comments

• White_musk
    White_musk Posts: 179 Forumite
    GQ I think I have a secret (or not so secret now) girl crush. Your writing always brightens my day. You have a wonderful way with words.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • It's been a joy to find this thread.. Loved reading every post..
    I too have learned in the last few years that it is wonderful and very freeing to not give a hoot as to what others think of me, I also say NO where and when I deem necessary, have slowly cleared out the baggage, both physical and emotional.. This site and the fabulous peeps within it have provided solice and support whenever I have needed it, that or a jolly good kick up the behind!!
    Just wanted to questions where has 'A Simpler Life 2018' disappeared to? It says I have a notification for an unread post yet it says no thread when I click it? Anyone have a clue.. Or is it a malfunction?
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    White_musk wrote: »
    GQ I think I have a secret (or not so secret now) girl crush. Your writing always brightens my day. You have a wonderful way with words.
    :o:o:o Aww, thank you! Your compliment had definately brightened my day.

I looked out my sitting-room window a few days ago and thought; Is it foggy or is this window really really dirty?!

I checked with the weather online - it's foggy, which is a relief or I might've had to spend five minutes outside with a soapy sponge doing something about it.:rotfl:

Actually, I should clean that window, but I will have to wait until the planets are in the correct alignment and Scorpio is rising in my Moon (whatever that might mean). Plus I need to hunt and tame a sponge beforehand, and we all know how dangerous and difficult Sponge Hunting can be. :eek:

The window-cleaning project is perhaps better left until rain gets driven onto the glass, then I can nip out with some ecover w.u.l, squirt it on the top of the pane and let gravity sort it out.

Mrs Salad Dodger, would it be possible to ask your sister for list of things she's bringing with her? Not a complete inventory, but an idea if she's intending to bring any furniture/ appliances/ items over and above apparel etc? So that you can mentally rehearse where things will go, to ease anxieties and make everything smoother on arrival day?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Off to Primark this morning to get some replacement holiday clothes after my Easter clearout. Need 1 new Bikini, with matching beach-dress (if poss.), at least 1 t-shirt and a dress for work. Probably get the lot for £20!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • White_musk
    White_musk Posts: 179 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o:o:o Aww, thank you! Your compliment had definately brightened my day.

I looked out my sitting-room window a few days ago and thought; Is it foggy or is this window really really dirty?!

I checked with the weather online - it's foggy, which is a relief or I might've had to spend five minutes outside with a soapy sponge doing something about it.:rotfl:

Actually, I should clean that window, but I will have to wait until the planets are in the correct alignment and Scorpio is rising in my Moon (whatever that might mean). Plus I need to hunt and tame a sponge beforehand, and we all know how dangerous and difficult Sponge Hunting can be. :eek:

The window-cleaning project is perhaps better left until rain gets driven onto the glass, then I can nip out with some ecover w.u.l, squirt it on the top of the pane and let gravity sort it out.

Mrs Salad Dodger, would it be possible to ask your sister for list of things she's bringing with her? Not a complete inventory, but an idea if she's intending to bring any furniture/ appliances/ items over and above apparel etc? So that you can mentally rehearse where things will go, to ease anxieties and make everything smoother on arrival day?

I live in a bungalow but the window cleaner came to do mine this morning. :rotfl:
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    White_musk wrote: »
    I live in a bungalow but the window cleaner came to do mine this morning. :rotfl:
    :T Redistribution of Wealth is an important principle of The Skiver's Charter.

I'm in a ground floor flat but too tight to pay someone to do what I could easily do myself with change from five minutes (I have four small windows, one for each of my four small rooms).

I say could, not would, of course. Gardening Season is officially open and people mostly find me on the allotments. Folks who want to see me tend to visit me there. Or ring me on my mobile and start the convo with an exasperated Are you on that bl00dy allotment?! The best of them have been trained to bring me cakes and the finest wines known to humanity.

:cool: OK, the wine was a fib* but I did share a mug of cider with a fellow plotholder the other week. Good job my gardening boots have steel toes, don't like to think to think of the potential for sharp implements plus inebriation.

Cake is always welcome. If not forthcoming, folk can bribe their way into my affections with biscuits; I'm easy.

* One summer's day we got the deckchairs out and made a jug of p1mms. Very nice. We even fitted a little bit of gardening that day.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Mission accomplished on the Primark front. Got everything I wanted (plus a few extras) and a couple of things for DH, so £50 spent in total. That's fine, we don't buy clothes very often.

The weather was then SOOOO nice, that i sat and watched DH mow the lawn, and then we cracked open a beer on the patio. My idea of heaven.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    back from my holiday and all the washing done and dried and very little needed to be ironed as I am getting more ruthless with the ironing now than I was No more ironing of keks for me :) (yes I actually used to iron everything :)) life is far too short to waste ironing I find.I have more years behind me than in front so now unless its really drastically need an iron on it most things just get hung on a hanger so the creases 'drop' out

I am baking some biscuits this morning for my DGS but from start to finish it will only take half an hour 'melting moments are so quick to knock up and the boys love them. But they will clean my car for me so its quid pro quo :)

I did a very small and quick shop for fruit and veg yesterday so lots of NSD for me this week.I am eating from my freezer and cupboards at the moment in the hope of reducing my freezer down enough so I can remove the ice mountain in there Its been an ongoing thing for several months for me as my freezer was jam packed .I will have some 'interesting ' meals ahead I think as a lot of its unlabelled :):):)

Have a good and joyful week chums

JackieO xx
  • Hi all,

Very quick post :)

Two days of decluttering in France have so far yielded 3 Tip runs - car full each time. 2 Wheelie bins of recycling, 2 large bags of glass to bottle bank & DNeph taking at least 4 large cardboard boxes of his stuff :T Also have a mountain of stuff for sale :rotfl:

Please keep fingers & toes crossed that we can keep the decluttering mojo :rotfl: Give DSis her due - SHE IS BEING BRUTAL :T:rotfl::j

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Sounds like things are going well MrsSD, long may it continue for you all, large scale clear outs can be stressful yet also very rewarding.. Glad the weather is helping also! :T

Made a large order to 'The Amozon' of things I have been unable to find locally or are v expensive (& way cheaper with them).. It contains lots of my essential oils and Epsom salts etc, also a birthday gift from my DS1 at over half the price listed elsewhere!:cool:
    The quantities/packs are larger than normal so should last me over a longer period of time, also topped up on all my vitamins.

Had a carpet company come and give me a quote for most rooms in my rented property last week....:eek::eek::eek:
    I shall be sourcing the carpet, underlay n gripper elsewhere and then find a local tradesperson to do the job.. Think it's better to be looking after the local small businesses!!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business