PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Had a productive morning meandering around the chazzas of Otley today - tho have ended up with a moral dilemma!

I found a lovely winter coat in the 99p St Gemma's shop. As new, a burgundy colour, knee length, single breasted with a concealed fastening and tie belt and fits beautifully. Not an expensive make (Dunnes), but feels and looks like a good quality coat. Took it gleefully to the till and paid my 99p marvelling at my good fortune. Now this shop mostly sells everything for a flat price of 99p except for a few items, (designer/new/extremely good quality), which go on the 'good' rail and are priced much higher. When I got home and looked at the attached price tag the coat was actually priced at £8.99 but it was hanging on a 99p rail. I hadn't looked too closely but the volunteer had looked at the ticket and asked me for 99p. So now what do I do? :o

1. Nothing, it was their mistake.
    2. Go back and explain what happened and pay the difference.
    3. Go back, say nothing and just put some squids in the donations box.

Oh dearie me!!

Anyhoo....then went into the BHF shop and found the makings of a glam party outfit. An M & S black, heavy, embossed fabric skirt. Just above ankle length, fitted to just above the knee then has slightly sticky out ('godets'? 'peplum'?) sort of bits inserted in v shapes all around and with a wide self belt. Will be perfect with my fitted black velvet jacket and impossibly high heeled shoe boots so long as no dancing or extensive walking is involved. Priced at £4.99.

Following on from the recent chat about the attitude of some volunteers....I had an unpleasant experience yesterday in the local hospice shop. I became aware of raised voices and looking to see what was to do it it became apparent that three of the volunteers were having a row at the till. One of the volunteers must have claimed some travelling expenses whilst going somewhere on charity business and the other two objected saying that 'nobody ever does that, how could you take money from a charity, I find that despicable?' Things got more and more heated and I felt so uncomfortable listening to it I decided to leave. Ha! As I walked to the door one of the women asked me what I thought of the matter, (expecting me to agree with her). I just said they needed to take the matter off the shop floor and resolve their differences elsewhere. Then the woman being challenged said she was leaving and never coming back and made to get her belongings and leave when one of the other volunteers gave her a hefty shove saying 'good riddance' and sending her flying :(. I expect there was more to it than just the expenses grievance but it was a very nasty thing to witness!
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Seasalt 3/4 length top in fine needlecord. £9.99 Oxfam
    H&M Cardigan £4.99 Age Concern
    Monsoon winter dress £12 Keech Hospice

I am so happy especially with the Seasalt 3/4 length top.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 7:39PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It looks like a set of three costs over 250!!, Mum's is four! So yes definitely into bargain territory here

If you give her the tenner for them, that's her Christmas sorted. :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    miro - would you have paid £8.99 for the coat? I'll be honest, I would be feeling guilty but still wouldn't want to lose the feeling of having got a nice coat for 99p so I'm not sure what I would do.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miro, the coat could have been redirected to the 99p rail for clearance, but they forgot to amend the tag. I would just bung a few quid in the tin the next time you're in.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    I should really make sure i don't have time to pop in too cs before school p pick ups as i get lured in by the possibility of a bargain lol. Today's was a faux fur gilet by next for £5 I'm imagining it with black jeans black polo neck or indeed beige top as the gilet is very neutral. The other day i got an unopened elemis cleansing set for £3.95 which is currently for sale everywhere for £49.95. It was for sale at the same price as a baylis and Harding shower gel set ��
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    dolly84 wrote: »
    miro - would you have paid £8.99 for the coat? I'll be honest, I would be feeling guilty but still wouldn't want to lose the feeling of having got a nice coat for 99p so I'm not sure what I would do.
    Miro, the coat could have been redirected to the 99p rail for clearance, but they forgot to amend the tag. I would just bung a few quid in the tin the next time you're in.

Many thanks for your replies and thoughts. I have decided I will chuck a few squids into the donations tin next time I am in the shop. I will still have got a bargain but without the guilty conscience :o

The infestation of B & H products is noticeably on the increase in my local shops :(
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mir! wrote: »
    The infestation of B & H products is noticeably on the increase in my local shops :(
    You make it sound parastic in nature! Bear in mind that people are trying to help charity by donating this stuff, someone, somewhere must be buying it (even if only to gift it and have it recycled for years to come. Its like phoenix that won't be cremated :D).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GreenBitterfly
    GreenBitterfly Posts: 392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2018 at 2:40PM
    This morning I went to the my local Scope charity shop, whilst browsing the book shelves, I spotted a hardback copy of Untold Stories by Alan Bennett. It looks to be in unread condition, there was a bookmark placed inside one of the first few pages so I think the previous owner had just started it and didn't finish it. It cost me £2, and as I've been looking for a hardback copy for about a year, I couldn't believe my eyes when it saw it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This morning I went to the my local Scope charity shop, whilst browsing the book shelves, I spotted a hardback copy of Untold Stories by Alan Bennett. It looks to be in unread condition, there was a bookmark placed inside one of the first few pages so I think the previous owner had just started it and didn't finish it. It cost me £2, and as I've been looking for a hardback copy for about a year, I couldn't believe my eyes when it saw it.
    I shan't upset you by telling you [STRIKE]that the HB version is available in a local chazzer for £1, or 3 for £2.[/STRIKE] I know, because I went home to check that I didn't already have it in my library before committing to the purchase. It turns out I did have a copy (in paperback).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure