Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Hi all,

In our broadband guide Plusnet broadband is in our top picks.

We're after feedback from people who have applied for this deal and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the broadband.

Thanks for all help in advance

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd advise caution.

I did a similar deal previously and had a few difficulties:

1) They just didn't do anything the first time I called. Told me the price, said it would get set up...but actually just did nothing. At all. Apparently (I was told later) the guy was new. Great.

2) Second time I called (two weeks later, as advised), they refused to honour the price agreed in the first call...Several more calls followed to get it straightened out.

3) Once I'd paid my line rental up front, they continued to charge me monthly anyway. Numerous calls, emails to fix. Promised it's fixed, charged again next month, promised it's fixed....

Got there in the end and the service was OK once it was installed and they finally stopped overcharging me, but awful attitude about the whole thing, not apologetic, no hint at compensating me for the hours of my life they wasted.

As a heads up, also - I subsequently moved to a new house to which PlusNet couldn't provide service and they insisted I buy out the remaining contract anyway. I tried to explain that it wasn't really anyone's fault I was leaving, but made no difference. I was going to write and complain, but PlusNet (perhaps wisely) have no way of former/non-customers registering complaints online so I'm ashamed to say I just didn't bother. Just know that, them having decided to end our relationship on such poor terms, I'll not be going back.
  • Has anybody managed to sign up for this?

Apparently the offer is not available in my area. How come? Is this one of those deals where it only applies to one obscure post code with 3 houses?

Fruit
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has anybody managed to sign up for this?

Apparently the offer is not available in my area. How come? Is this one of those deals where it only applies to one obscure post code with 3 houses?

Fruit

I signed my parents up to it two weeks ago
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Has anybody managed to sign up for this?

Fruit

The offer at that price is only available where there is competition at the exchange, that is if there is a local loop unbundled provider that the exchange plusnet will charge less.
    to see if your exchange has LLU take a look at this website http://www.samknows.com/exchange_search

If its Market 1 and has no LLU providers then plusnet will charge the higher rate

If its market 2 or 3 then plusnet will charge the lower rate.

If its market 1 but has an LLU provider then you should be able to haggle plusnet down to a reasonable deal, however you will need to draw up a list of how much you will pay to each company:
    such as Line rental st pay monthly, or pay up front cost for each company
    Call packages/bundles such as anytime calls from each company
    Internet access for each company
    and so on, you should be able to then come up with a total monthly cost, and a total annual cost.
    If say Talk talk are cheaper per month then you cna use this to get a good deal with plusnet or you could just sign up with talk talk or anyone else.

If you use an isp email such as @plus.net/@talktalk.net and so on then I would also suggest that you start using a free alternative such as gmail/hotmail etc or pay a small amount for your own email address so that should you wish to move ISP you dont have to contact everyone with your new email address
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I contracted for an intro unlimited internet deal where the landline component - "Plusnet Weekends" has suddenly gone up from £14.50 in Sept to £15.95 on Oct.

This corresponds with http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/08/plusnet-to-hike-phone-costs-but-you-can-leave-penalty-free-if-youre-hit I suppose. But no email notification? We are still in the 12 month contract so there would be a leaving penalty.

I received no announcement of this from Plusnet, plus I thought I had contracted a clear price for the 1st 12 months and only then does the promised intro price to up to standard Plusnet pricing.

Actually I would have been willing to stay on after the 12 months but this cavalier pricing attitude puts me off and makes me want to seek alternative deals.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Signed up via Quidco yesterday as Sky's line rental increase allowed me to leave. Plusnet give me £75 chequeback and Quidco £100 (which has already tracked).

12 months line rental saver - £155.88
    12 months broadband - £29.88
    Router P&P £5.99

Total £191.75

Total effective cost £16.75

Bargain!
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Just read the MSE top tips and there is a very big untruth in there
    £75 cashback. Provided you've used the link above and not gone direct, you'll get a £75 cheque.

That's not true. If you go direct you still get the £75. MSE only says the above so they can claim affiliate cashback.
  • Ndubs
    Ndubs Posts: 1 Newbie
    I was a TalkTalk customer and opted for the Plusnet offer, having read MSE. Service due to be activated on 18th Feb - no router received. Asked for router, received within 3 days. Still no service activation. Contacted them, they told Talk Talk had cancelled the request. Re-ordered service for me. Still nothing happened except for an email from them to cancel my service. Called today, 20th March. After 30 min wait was told my current provider had dismantled the equipment for my line and they would need to send their engineer out to fix it as I no longer had any phone or broadband service. Earliest appointment was 30th March for am or pm only. Asked to speak to manager but was told they couldn't come to the phone but they told the person I was speaking to that they'd tell me the same as I'd been told already - there were no earlier appointments! Told them to cancel whole order (they did that within 20 mins!). Contacted TalkTalk - they checked my line and it was all still active, and they also offered me a cheaper deal which included TV for £20/month including TV, so took that instead.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    From personal experience with plusnet, it takes ages to get to speak with someone, and then they have a regimented process of dealing with queries.. no common sense or even basic tech knowledge, on first/second contacts, it seems..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • alba7
    alba7 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I signed up to a plusnet deal - £2.50 unlimited broadband - a few weeks ago. The broadband changed over on time, the phone line followed 2 weeks later. All is working fine.

I've claimed the £50 cash back from plusnet. I went through topcashback and I'm tracking £73.70, which is now showing as confirmed. I'm just happy to get away from BT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure