Updated coop bank app won't work on note 3, and they have said their new app won't either.....

Options
Blackpool_Saver
Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
edited 16 November 2018 at 4:20PM in Techie Stuff
Hi, I am looking for advice please, co op bank have told me that my operating system is not up to date enough to run their new app. The phone has the latest update on it.
Am I getting to the point now with a Note 3 where this will start to happen with all apps more and more, or are co op talking out of their you know what?
I can log on to browser version on my phone of course....
I know co op are a pain with their website and everything but I don't want to change banks..... and would prefer to stay with my phone as it works really well and only costs me £5 per month for my sky sim.....
Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately like it or not, phones are outdated eventually and this phone, out in September 2013, is 5 years old and doesn't officially support Android 5.1 which is the minimum version required for the co-op app - it only goes to 5.0

However, you could get the phone running 6.0 (marshmallow) unofficially if you jail break it and put the ROM on (ask a techie person if you are not confident to do this) - there are plenty of guides online to do this
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Unfortunately like it or not, phones are outdated eventually and this phone, out in September 2013, is 5 years old and doesn't officially support Android 5.1 which is the minimum version required for the co-op app - it only goes to 5.0

However, you could get the phone running 6.0 (marshmallow) unofficially if you jail break it and put the ROM on (ask a techie person if you are not confident to do this) - there are plenty of guides online to do this

Time to move forwards I think.

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    you can put your sim in another phone , it will still cost you £5 per month
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Yes I know, thanks, this was an unlocked, I will get another unlocked :-)

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »

I also have a Note 3, and all my banking apps still work luckily.

I thought if you interfered with the secure set up of a phone, banking apps would stop working anyway?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're feeling brave, you could install LineageOS. It's a free, open-source version of Android that still receives updates.

It works well (better than the stock Android installation) on my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. My NatWest banking app works fine.

https://lineageos.org/
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »

I thought if you interfered with the secure set up of a phone, banking apps would stop working anyway?

I also thought that banking apps wouldn't work on jailbroken phones.

Last year I updated an old tablet with lineage and the Lloyds app said that it wouldn't work on phones that had been updated like that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Generally Banking apps do not work with rooted phones.

But if you use Magisk Hide this should bypass the app realsing the phone is running Custom software.

XDA Forums is the best place for phone advice
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-3

Nougat/Oreo/Pie all seem to be available.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »

It'll stop eventually as Lollipop was out in November 2014 and is no longer supported by google (last official update was March for 5.1 and November 2017 for 5) so the app creators should really no longer support it.

Banking apps may not like jailbreak phones for security reasons but as above you can mask it.

An unlocked used note 4 refurb can be had for around £150 though there are probably better deals for similar spec phablets that will run 6 or even 7
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2018 at 1:55PM
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    Generally Banking apps do not work with rooted phones.

But if you use Magisk Hide this should bypass the app realsing the phone is running Custom software.

I didn't need to do anything like that to get the NatWest app working. The phone is rooted, but I don't run the app with root permissions. It works fine.

If banking apps don't work on the OP's device now, it can't hurt to try LineageOS -- it's free :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure