Broadband, TV and Phone

Hi all,

I need a bit of technical advice really.

I'm with talktalk and am not particularly happy with their broadband. The contract is coming to an end I'm currently looking into new providers.

I work from home and need reliable and speedy broadband. TalkTalk is a little temperamental for my liking. We have everything with them phone, internet and TV.

Now to my technical query if I was to buy a Smart TV with integrated Freeview (I don't even know whether a Smart TV has integrated freeview :embarasse) would I still need a TV provider or would this maybe be a cheaper alternative in the long run? It's important for us to have netflix and kids channels, but then netflix is wifi based isn't. Sorry I'm a bit of a technical bimbo.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• If the smart TV has a netflix app on it you can watch through that using your internet connection.

You would get the freeview channels without a subscription as they are broadcast and received by your aerial. Pretty much any TV will have freeview, if it doesn't it's more like a computer monitor than a TV.

If your livelihood depends on your internet connection, don't use a bargain basement ISP like talktalk / sky / plusnet / VM etc. etc. Never understood why people that work from home go to a bottom end consumer ISP rather than a business focused provider.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <I work from home and need reliable and speedy broadband >

You need a business service with servive level agreement rather than a home user service .

Kids channels is what you need to check as to which ones .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess it depends how much the OP earns from their home business. or rather how much they loose by not having internet for 5 days.

I imagine business contracts are very expensive!

P.S I would recommend NowTV broadband
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    I guess it depends how much the OP earns from their home business
    For all we know they could be an insurance company actuary that needs constant remote access to massive datasets that pulls in a six figure salary, or in another PAYE position where they are expected to online, connected to the company AD domain server and available for skype conferences etc during their working hours.

Or they "working from home" might be doing surveys and the MSE comping forum.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure