Cheap Flights Article Discussion

Comments

• Hi Crabtree,
    I used the Irish number with the over ride and got sorted. They charged £7 admin fee which I thought was an unnecessary extra, but it was worth it for the relief. Next time I won't trust my typing. I'll check twice before I confirm.
    I've also got to weigh the luggage and get to the airport extra early.
    Anyway thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
  • Im llooking for a cheap flight between 18th and 23rd May to Canda, single, from the uk...preferably from up north. Can anony eplaease help? Thanbkjs in advance
  • To cut a long story short (see below): NEVER RELY ON SCREENSCRAPERS NO MATTER HOW MANY YOU SEARCH. USE THEM AS A STARTING POINT AND THEN GO DIRECT - YOU CAN SAVE A LOT OF MONEY.

The guide to cheap flights is great and gives a broad range of information but, as with everything in life, it's not perfect in my opinion and could be changed to give slightly better advice..

For example the guide mentions that screenscrapers search a variety of websites and that at least 2 different screenscrapers should be used when searching for flights because they all search different suppliers. It doesn't, however, mention that the prices quoted on screenscrapers aren't always accurate and you can often do better by going direct to the websites the screenscrapers list.

For example: Today (22-05-08), searching on the favourite (Kayak) for flights to Honduras (TGU) from London (LHR), Dep 18-08-08, Rtn 12-09-08, Kayak comes up with:

£656 - cheapflights.com
    £686 - aa.com (american airlines)

Clicking on, for example, the link from kayak to aa.com does indeed give you a fair for £686. However, go direct to aa.com and you'll find flights from £617. As Martin might say 'that's a saving of £69!'. Even better, and one that Kayak didn't turn up, is dialaflight.com - the same dates turned up a quote (inc. tax) for £510 - that's a saving of £176 over the best recommended screenscraper! I haven't searched everywhere and it may be possible to do even better. The link to cheapflights.com turned up confusing US$ quotes.

I tried travelsupermarket.com but they came up with zero results for this (not that unusual) destination.

OK so the screenscrapers are a great place to start and give you a good idea of prices, Kayak also has some very useful tools for monitoring recent prices, but YOU MUST NOT RELY ON SCREENSCRAPERS. This isn't a one off occurence, I more often than not FIND BETTER PRICES BY STARTING WITH THE SCREENSCRAPERS AND THEN GOING DIRECT and of course shopping around with other sites.

I don't know how the system works but maybe the commission the screenscrapers take causes the prices to go up... ALWAYS CHECK!

If this site is a genuine unbiased guide, and I beleive it is currently, surely a comment should be highlighted in the guide to reflect my point. The sponsored links won't like that of course but it's important this site strives to provide unbiased advice. I feel that at the moment the guide gives people too much comfort in thinking that if they search a whole bunch of different screenscrapers then they will have the best price.
  • SingyB
    SingyB Posts: 3 Newbie
    I have just been looking to fly to Florida next year, during school hols (I know.... but with 2 kids, and me working in a school, so I'm limited with dates!!)

All the UK web sites show Virgin as being the cheapest non-stop (£3893.80) however on the screen scrapes I've just done off this page, CHEAPOAIR.COM (via mobissimo.com) shows Virgin at being $4031 (£2035). Both include taxes

The flight numbers are different, but only because they have both shown different flights on the same day as being cheaper.

Is there a penalty for buying the same flights from a US site, when I could potentially be saving £1800??

:confused:
  • wildejoe
    wildejoe Posts: 58 Forumite
    Hi,

Im trying to find flights ideally from manchester (but east midlands birmingham or liverpool are fine) to belgarde in serbia. I have searched and secrahed but cant find flights for less than £260:confused:

dates are 9th of july outbound and 14th inbound.

Any help would be massivly apprecaited

Thanks in advance:o
  • I am looking to book for Florida (Orlando) next August also. Yes I'm a teacher too! When looking on screen scrapes they don't have much choice yet. I think it would be better to wait until all airlines release their prices but I don't know when that will be do you? I found flights for 4 on 15/8 for a family of four that was £683 each and wasn't any cheaper for children. I'm hoping to pay less than this! As for booking with a US site, why would there be a penalty? I think it might be cheaper this way as the pound is strong against the dollar but if things change and you haven't paid the full amount then you might end up paying a lot more than you thought. It's hard work looking for a good deal!!:confused:

SingyB wrote: »
    I have just been looking to fly to Florida next year, during school hols (I know.... but with 2 kids, and me working in a school, so I'm limited with dates!!)

All the UK web sites show Virgin as being the cheapest non-stop (£3893.80) however on the screen scrapes I've just done off this page, CHEAPOAIR.COM (via mobissimo.com) shows Virgin at being $4031 (£2035). Both include taxes

The flight numbers are different, but only because they have both shown different flights on the same day as being cheaper.

Is there a penalty for buying the same flights from a US site, when I could potentially be saving £1800??

:confused:
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I am looking to book for Florida (Orlando) next August also. Yes I'm a teacher too! When looking on screen scrapes they don't have much choice yet. I think it would be better to wait until all airlines release their prices but I don't know when that will be do you? I found flights for 4 on 15/8 for a family of four that was £683 each and wasn't any cheaper for children. I'm hoping to pay less than this! As for booking with a US site, why would there be a penalty? I think it might be cheaper this way as the pound is strong against the dollar but if things change and you haven't paid the full amount then you might end up paying a lot more than you thought. It's hard work looking for a good deal!!:confused:
    Hi Sharon, welcome to the forums :hello:

You may get a better response from the dedicated Orlando Florida & Disneyworld - Questions & Answers thread, so I've copied your post over there. :)
  • MSSid
    MSSid Posts: 1 Newbie
    Martin Lewis has written a brilliant article about how to find cheap flights, particularly the section on screenscrapers, however, there are a few points which I feel should be mentioned and may have been overlooked.

a.) When you are selecting which flight comparison sites to use you must ensure that the ones you select actually search different and unique sites rather than repeating searches which do not provide any additional value. I would, with respect, be careful not to search EVERY single site mentioned in the aforementioned article for the following reasons...

There is absolutely no point in searching both Sidestep AND Kayak as they are actually the same company and search exactly the same sites for flights. Kayak actually purchased Sidestep for the sum of 90 million pounds late last year.

Similarly, Openjet is searched by both Kelkoo and Momondo so it it doesn't make much sense to search Openjet if you have searched either of those two sites already.

Also, Expedia is now compared by Travelsupermarket so there is no need to conduct a search on Expedia seperately if you have already searched Travelsupermarket.com.

It is important to know this otherwise you could end up wasting time searching sites which have already effectively been searched.

My personal list would include For Long haul - Mobissimo, Kayak and Momondo (TravelSupermarket is excellent in my opinion for UK departures) whilst for short haul I would recommend Skyscanner and Dohop.

This would ensure an adequate number of UNIQUE sites being searched,
    effectively isolating the best deal for you. In my opinion it is a MUST to search ALL of these sites as it is very unpredicatable as to who will locate the best deal.

b.) As Martin suggests in his article it is preferable to search numerous flight
    comparison sites in seperate windows and compare all of the results - This, however can be quite cumbersome and many people fail to search every single important one potentially leaving the cheapest flights undiscovered ...

A quick way around this is to make a search on the newly launched website http://www.cheap-flights-finder.com which actually searches five flight comparison sites for you with 1 single search (i.e Kelkoo, Kayak, Mobissimo, Dohop and Skyscanner). This is a great time saver and allows you to compare numerous flights quickly and easily, leaving just Travelsupermarket and Momondo for you to search seperately if need be.

c.) Another very useful tool which many people may not be aware of is Momondo's price calender functionality. This is a handy, easy to read graphical calender which shows flight prices for alternate departure and arrival dates to your chosen destination. Quite handy if your travel itinerary allows for flexible dates. The only downside being that it only shows fares for searches other users have found and can occasionally fail to provide alternate flight prices.

d.) Two sites which have not been talked about much but are causing a bit of a stir across the pond are Farecast and Yapta. Farecast actually claims to track fare prices and give you a verdict on whether it is a good time to buy or whether you should wait. Apparently their predictions are considered to be 74.5% percent accurate according to a third party independent audit undertaken by Navigant Consulting.

Then their is Yapta, which is similar in the sense that it tracks fare prices and gives you alerts to notify you when it is a good time to buy. They also claim to be able to credit you for the difference if you find a flight has dropped in price after you have purchased it.

Although these sites are actually for the North American market, they can still be useful if one is searching for international or domestic flights departing from the USA or Canada.

I am aware that people may be skeptical about flight comparison sites in general but in my experience, with which I completely concur with Martin, they should be the first port of call when looking for cheap flights on specific dates.

As long as the advice in the main article and above are followed, i.e - numerous different comparison sites are searched which in turn search numerous UNIQUE travel sites and airlines, it is highly likely that the prices
    found cannot be beat.

If any one is interested in finding out more money saving options including advice about courier travel, flight auctions, student travel, group travel, seasonal travel, frequent flyer programmes and more then go to www.cheap-flights-finder.com and sign up to the special deals email which explains these things in further detail.
  • applegrass
    applegrass Posts: 74 Forumite
    Has anyone looked into being a flight courier for documents and the like for cheap flights, or is this not really an option any more?
  • MKPhil05
    MKPhil05 Posts: 25 Forumite
    We went to New Zealand in April and booked ourselves an internal flight with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Christchurch. Completely by chance we happened upon a loophole... The prices were different depending on which website of theirs you used...

If you book by their .co.uk site the "Smart Saver" ticket was shown as "no seats available" with the cheapest ticket available as their "Flexi Saver". If you book via their .co.nz site the "Smart Saver" was now available! Same flight, same route, same plane! We even phoned them up to check this and the guy basically said "If it lets you book it, it's OK"!

Rechecking this for a random date in the future the .co.uk site gives a price for a flight on this route as: NZ$221 which equates to about £84 but the .co.nz site gives a price for a flight on this route as: NZ$130 which equates to about £49 - £35 cheaper!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback