Do I need to buy a license if I dont terrestrial TV?

Hi there,

We own a TV, bought around 12 months ago, which we use to watch Netflix, and occasionally Channel 4 catchup. Since the rules changed we haven't once watched BBC iPlayer, and we never watch live TV.

We are getting constant, harassing emails about not having a TV license. We have now been told our address 'has been scheduled for a visit by an Enforcement Officer' and says what will happen if they find 'evidence of watching or recording live TV programmes'. There is also a number to call to stop this visit.

The reason I haven't called the number yet is that I've read advice that the best thing to do is simply ignore these letters. Yet I really want to stop receiving them! I also don't know what this Enforcement Office will actually want to do when he turns up - we connect our laptops to the TV by HDMI cable, so will he want to check our browsing histories? This seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy, but again we have nothing to hide!

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Seriously? You are actually considering letting them into your home?

The mind does indeed boggle....
  • slhqoue
    slhqoue Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Could you explain your reply a bit? I'm genuinely asking for advice so this doesn't really help. Wouldn't this stop the constant harassment?
  • slhqoue wrote: »
    Could you explain your reply a bit? I'm genuinely asking for advice so this doesn't really help. Wouldn't this stop the constant harassment?

How is it harassment? You constantly ignore their letters.
  • slhqoue
    slhqoue Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OK, harassment may be too strong a word. I've ignored the letters after repeatedly reading that this is the best thing to do on this forum. This is what I'm now asking - has anyone been in this position and what have you done?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Have you filled in the on line form to notify TV licensing that you don't need a license?

OK, you shouldn't have to in a free country, but it might make life easier.
    And I agree that the deluge of threatening letters amounts to harassment. I was getting them for nearly a year while my home was empty and undergoing (a rather slow) refurbishment.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2017 at 12:55PM
    How is it harassment? You constantly ignore their letters.

The problem with BBC/TVL's approach is that their letters/enquiries are non-statutory, so unlike many other "official" agencies, there is no obligation to respond, and they have no right to imply otherwise, or to base other enforcement actions on whether you have responded or not.

Further: they don't say what happens if you respond to the letters, but then exercise your rights to prevent them entering your home - does that make matters worse, better or make no difference?

If you do nothing, they keep sending them. Many legitimately unlicensed people report receiving one letter per month indefinitely. (Or as the BBC would say, about 43 million enforcement letters for the whole country in a year).

To add insult to injury, doing what they want may or may not stop the letters - again, many people report having informed TVL multiple times that they do not need a Licence, but they are still receiving letters. Personally, I think Nick_C has a point, and there is little harm in filling in the online form. Using a fake name on that form is not illegal, and it will help you identify letters and callers from TVL in the future. Indeed, they may trip up on their own Data Protection policies when they ask for "Albert Arkwright" and you tell them that he doesn't live there, but they may catch him down at the cornershop. :)

If you want to take a principled stand, you have three main choices-

- ignore the letters.

- complain about the letters (or make an official complaint of any kind against TVL). This usually stops them - it has done for me.

- use a "Cease and Desist" letter (text below).

Dear TVL,

Please Cease and Desist from sending your mass mailings regarding Licence enforcement to this address. I find these letters offensive and misleading.

Yours,

• slhqoue wrote: »

I also don't know what this Enforcement Office will actually want to do when he turns up - we connect our laptops to the TV by HDMI cable, so will he want to check our browsing histories? This seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy, but again we have nothing to hide!

Any advice much appreciated.

TV Licensing staff would need Section 49 RIPA authority to "examine and test" computer equipment which they will never obtain. So the answer is "No" - TV Licensing cannot inspect any form of computing device except for "smart" TVs which is a grey area because they are both television receivers and computing devices.

Any TV Licensing agent attempting unauthorised access to a computer's files (which includes browsing data) could be charged under Section 1 of the 1990 Computer Misuse Act.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    It is by far the best policy to ignore ALL TVL/Capita's attempts to communicate with you.
    They want to sell something - that you have no wish to buy. The conversation should never really get started really - A bit like the Market stall trader shouting at you & everyone else as you walk by: " oranges, Veg all cheap (except lettuces!!) "
    Unless you are tempted, you keep walking - & that is the best way to treat TVL selling scum.
    Unless of course, you actually want to watch the brainwashing box showing live TV of course!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    slhqoue wrote: »
    We have now been told our address 'has been scheduled for a visit by an Enforcement Officer' and says what will happen if they find 'evidence of watching or recording live TV programmes'.

They can visit the outside of your property but they have no right to come into your house.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 February 2017 at 12:12PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    They can visit the outside of your property but they have no right to come into your house.

I've been exchanging letters and complaints with the BBC about TV Licensing, and although there is still some way to go, their most recent letter clarified many points of policy in terms that are at odds with the wording or the tone of their mass harassment letters.

In particular:-

- "Visiting" is consensual. Any householder can send a TVL staff member away with or without a reason. If they fail to leave, the Police can be called, and technically since they are then trespassing they can be removed using reasonable force. You can also ban TVL from your premises in advance (though I am struggling to get them to confirm that doing so is without consequences, as it ought to be).

- Entering into conversation with TVL is consensual. If you choose not to, that is your prerogative.

- If TVL caution you or begin filling out a 178 prosecution form, you can decline to be interviewed at your sole discretion. You also have formal rights to silence and to seek legal advice.

If anyone is interested, the BBC have provided references to the above from their website, that I can post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure