Rejoined gym, give me some tips.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Its getting into the mentality of thinking....'do i really need half a loaf of bread and a chocolate bar?' even if its reduced... about 10g of carbs per slice of bread plus the sugar in the chocolate bar...so probably about 70g of carbs which will now not be burnt off and just be stored as fat

....i'm not trying to be an ar5e but if people want to lose weight then its about getting your mentality right and thinking of your body as a simple 'input' and 'output' machine......if i put more calories in than what is getting used then there is a surplus.....meaning any surplus will be stored for future.....as fat! Make the input less than the output and it'll have to use its fat stores for energy

What have you had to eat over the last few days in detail?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Thanks, well I almost never touch sweets like haribo nor deep fry things my diet is chicken flatbread at subway and 1 takeaway a week.

Yesterday funnily enough was a day for eating more as got some reduced stuff at Asda, ate like half a loaf of bread, a small bar of choccy on top of my usual flatbread meal.
    If you are serious that this is your diet then give up on the gym. You need to eat a healthy, mixed diet, and yours is awful.

I would not be surprised on a diet like that if you were not having serious health problems, such as low energy levels, lethargy, and issues with your weight.

Why are you doing this to yourself?
  • sha0907
    sha0907 Posts: 3 Newbie
    keep being motivated and you will soon see results :)
  • HappyFrog
    HappyFrog Posts: 37 Forumite
    Plenty of good advice above. You need a combination of cardio and strength training in combination with a review of your diet. For cardio I would suggest getting out of the gym for this. Running is the best (and simplest) in terms of how much benefit it will give you. Check out the 'couch to 5K' programme. Much more fun running outside instead of on a treadmill. For strength training check out https://www.bodybuilding.com. Despite the name of the website they have some good programmes, or you can put your own together. For each exercise they have a little video showing you how to use the machine or free weights. Put together a programme that works all of the muscles of the body. But you need a programme to work with.

Get into a routine and monitor progress - selfies once a week, and lsit your weight. You will slowly but surely make progress. Good luck!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    John-K wrote: »
    If you are serious that this is your diet then give up on the gym. You need to eat a healthy, mixed diet, and yours is awful.

I would not be surprised on a diet like that if you were not having serious health problems, such as low energy levels, lethargy, and issues with your weight.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Its getting into the mentality of thinking....'do i really need half a loaf of bread and a chocolate bar?' even if its reduced... about 10g of carbs per slice of bread plus the sugar in the chocolate bar...so probably about 70g of carbs which will now not be burnt off and just be stored as fat

....i'm not trying to be an ar5e but if people want to lose weight then its about getting your mentality right and thinking of your body as a simple 'input' and 'output' machine......if i put more calories in than what is getting used then there is a surplus.....meaning any surplus will be stored for future.....as fat! Make the input less than the output and it'll have to use its fat stores for energy

What have you had to eat over the last few days in detail?

When I say a bar of chocolate im talking one of those small ones smaller than a mars bar as a one off as it was a Polish sweet and I like them, it was first bread outside of my flatbread I ate in weeks.

Will be difficult to work out exactly what I ate in past few days but yesterday had chicken flatfread at lunchtime, small chicken breast for tea, and a small packet of crisps as a snack and a milkshake as it was a hot day (again first milkshake in months)

Day before chicken flatbread as usual, chicken breast with some pasta.

Day before I had the weekly bad thing which was a burger and fries, and my chicken flatbread, day before I had chicken flatbread but as I was starving had a chicken salad box too.

Day before ate more than usual, had 2x chicken flatbreads and a small lamb burger from butcher in a plain roll.

I already seem to be losing weight, feel less sluggish and able to run for bus and it feels easier.
  • System
    Community Admin
    What are you having for breakfast? If nothing then thats not good, make sure you have a small bowl of cereal/oats or a low fat yoghurt just to kick off your metabolism

Although chicken flatbread and chicken and pasta each day isn't bad in terms of calories....(provided that isn't a 12inch sub and provided the pasta doesn't have a heavy creamy sauce on it)... don't forget to eat some veg as your body needs the vitamins and minerals

What are you drinking throughout the day?
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Nothing, though now I think about it I fogot to add last week I was eating a small bowl of granola in afternoon as snack, I know granola is unhealthy.

Drink, is my main bad habit I can drink like a litre or litre and half of diet soft drink a day.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Granola is only bad due to the honey they normally use so the sugars a quite high, you can try switching to Muesli which has a lot less sugar but make sure you have something in the morning or your body just won't get going in the mornings

Switch to drinking water, tap water is fine and using a water bottle normally helps you monitor how much you're drinking

We can offer as much advise and guidance as we can but if its is up to you to follow it and stick to it in order to start shedding the weight

.....if don't stick to the diet or gym then there's not point starting a thread
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good to know, Well I have been to the gym 6 times so far in 9 days and the only days I haven't gone like today where when I had a busy day out of house from like 9am and not home to 6 as want to go when I can have a session of a hour or more.

Already feeling less stressed than before, considering I had a very busy day today and woke around 8am I don't feel as lethargic and spent about 75 minutes on machines yesterday (just the machines not counting the rest in between and when I showered after)
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,785
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Good to know, Well I have been to the gym 6 times so far in 9 days and the only days I haven't gone like today where when I had a busy day out of house from like 9am and not home to 6 as want to go when I can have a session of a hour or more.

Already feeling less stressed than before, considering I had a very busy day today and woke around 8am I don't feel as lethargic and spent about 75 minutes on machines yesterday (just the machines not counting the rest in between and when I showered after)

I've just hit (gone below actually) my target weight, I was 82 kg, but in 7 months I have got it down to 71kg (my BMI is now 22.6). My diet wasn't bad, but I did occasionally have chips, pizza and pies (not all at once), but I have now cut those out completely, and I avoid processed foods. I also joined my local leisure centre, and took up gym classes (mainly body pump), weight training (which I both do at home and at the gym with some of the guys from the body pump class), and although I had a running injury, I was able to burn a lot of calories simply by walking on an elevated treadmill. I've also started cycling again, which actually eases the pain from my running injury. I would definitely recommend walking on an elevated treadmill, it is a great calorie burner, and low impact so helps avoid injuries.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure