how long do you have to report change of circs under UC

how long do you have to report change of circs under Universal credit?

Under TCs its 30 days, but googling this for UC doesn't give anything.

Looking through the regulations (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/pdfs/uksi_20130376_310518_en.pdf) and searching "30 days" doesn't bring anything up.

And when I log on to the UC site under "Report a change
of circumstances" it says - "Report a change - You must tell us about any changes to your circumstances when they happen."

So is there a period by when you have to tell them without being penalised? If anyone manages to find a link to relevant official guidance would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• As it says “when they happen” I would recommend just that.

Why would you want to delay it?
  • MarkN88 wrote: »
    As it says “when they happen” I would recommend just that.

Why would you want to delay it?

There are some changes in circs which are major life events. Separation/divorce, bereavement, loss of a job.

Surely you can understand if someone's spouse of 50 years passed away he wouldn't be on the phone to UC that afternoon.

I'm sure there is a period, does anyone know what it is
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You cannot compare tax credits with Universal Credit as the two work on a completely different system.

Universal Credit operates on a monthly basis using real time information.

Delaying reporting a change of circumstances will only mean that you might have an overpayment.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/what-youll-need-to-do-on-universal-credit/check-if-a-change-affects-your-universal-credit/

If you shared with us what your change of circumstances were then we might be able to give more information.
  • Stopping being employed as director of my company. I stopped last week but haven't got round to telling accountant yet as have been busy with connected life event. Hence the UC people won't have heard about it from real time info yet.
  • There are some changes in circs which are major life events. Separation/divorce, bereavement, loss of a job.

Surely you can understand if someone's spouse of 50 years passed away he wouldn't be on the phone to UC that afternoon.

I'm sure there is a period, does anyone know what it is

Actually Im quite a practical person and from my point of view I would be informing them of such a change if it happened to me and have done with other life events in the past.

If UC says the change should be reported as it happens than this is what should happen or risk been over paid or comitting fraud.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stopping being employed as director of my company. I stopped last week but haven't got round to telling accountant yet as have been busy with connected life event. Hence the UC people won't have heard about it from real time info yet.

Not sure what you mean by 'stopped being employed as a director of your company'.

Do you mean you have closed down the company or something else?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The reason for any delay in reporting a change of circumstances will be treated on its individual merits. Not reporting a bereavement for a few days is more likely to accepted than is failing to report an increase in capital for example.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Not a particularly good example. However distraught, the next of kin does legally need to register a death within 5 days (8 in Scotland) , and as part of that process the Tell Us Once service should automatically inform HMRC and DWP
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    how long do you have to report change of circs under Universal credit?

Under TCs its 30 days, but googling this for UC doesn't give anything.

Looking through the regulations (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/pdfs/uksi_20130376_310518_en.pdf) and searching "30 days" doesn't bring anything up.

And when I log on to the UC site under "Report a change
    of circumstances" it says - "Report a change - You must tell us about any changes to your circumstances when they happen."

So is there a period by when you have to tell them without being penalised? If anyone manages to find a link to relevant official guidance would be great.

Thanks!

Not sure what you don't understand.

:question:
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Considering a UC account can virtually be accessed from anywhere, unless a telephone claim and as changes have to be reported when they happen. not sure why there would be a delay, unless it was some form of medical or domestic emergency which stopped someone accessing said account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure