Ex paying direct payments, renting out property, advice?

Hi my ex is unable to work due to a criminal conviction he has. I'm assuming he's on incapacity though he's never told me what he's on just that he cannot work due to the conviction. We went through direct payments with the calculations made by csa. I was aware he was no longer living at his property due to neighbours knowing about his conviction, and was living with. Family member. I assumed he had sold his house but I've recently been told by him that he couldn't afford to get our son a replacement Xmas pressent due to not having money. When I asked him how as I asusned he had money from the sell, he explained that he rents out the property. On our direct payments it mentions no other income just benefits. Would it be on the forms if he had?

I'm not sure how to progress. At the minute he rounded up his amount he pays monthly to £30 so he pays £2 more than the calculater suggested. Is what he's done legal? Would it affect the calculations? His house when I was with him was calculated to be worth about 90,000 and is a 3 bedroom terraced. I don't want him not giving the proper amount -our son is disabled, and tbh his father literally does nothing else for him. He's only allowed supervised access an hour a fortnight. But obviously if I ended up going fully through csa I would be down £2. My ex was controlling and emotionally manipulative so I don't want to rock the boat if what he's doing is totally above board /won't affect anything.

Comments

• Have you googled his name to try and find out what the conviction was?

Neighbours don't tend to get tetchy about convictions for theft / fraud only sexual offences.

Are you claiming all the disability benefits for your kid?

Can't comment on the CSA side of it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Yeah I know his offences. They had to tell me cause of our child. Was a sex offence just didn't want to delve too much into it on here :)
  • No, rental income isn’t automatically included. You have to apply for an unearned income variation.

However, firstly they only look at complete tax years. If he has only just started renting out the property this tax year, there is no point in you applying now. It will simply be rejected. The earliest point that there might be an amount to take into account is from 06/04/19, if your ex files/reports the income straight away. He doesn’t have to though, he could wait until the online filing deadline of 31/01/2020.

Secondly, an award will only be made if his unearned income is more than £2500 per annum. For rental income, that’s after deduction of all allowable expenses from the rental income.

If he has a mortgage, is using a letting agent and has taken out appropriate insurances, there is a very strong possibility that his taxable profits will not exceed the £2500 per annum threshold.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • My ex has probably been renting out for some time. He isn't an honest person and when I asked him about it he wasn't sure if they even were still there as there's been alot of burgularies, which I don't understand hs anything to do with it. Plus surely as a landlord he would have some sort of inkling. He has been living at his relatives for some time as his actual home was opposite a school. I'm not sure with the mortgage, I do recall he pays some, but he did put a substantial amount towards the house(something like 60000)According to him the income he gets from. The flats only just covers the mortgage and he hasn't anything left over.
  • He was convicted in 2015 its been some point Between then and now. Thanks for your help though. So he has no legal obligation to notify child maintenance of this income?
  • Only if asked about it in connection with a variation application.
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure