Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• ex-pat_scot
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    We have 3 kids and my wife has a fairly low earning potential so it doesn't make sense for her to work as it won't cover the childcare costs so we end up having to pool all our money. The problem then is that whilst I prioritise early retirement (mine) for her it is not so much of an issue if we spend more now so I have to work a few more years :(
    Similar - 4 for us, ranging from yr 7 up to university.
    Planning is entirely my responsibilty. It would be me working the extra years if our finances were insufficient.
    Of course, it helps that pension contributions come out of salary and therefore do not hit the bank account. They are therefore not seen as "spending".
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In 2013 I lost my job. I worked in IT, My main skills were near obsolete so there was little chance of my finding another similar job. I had been aware that this was likely to happen sometimeso I had been saving a lot. I believed in living below my means and not borrowing, except for my mortgage but as it was an endowment one I had paid most of it off (just £4k left).

I looked at my savings and realized I had more than enough to live on until my pensions were set up to pay out at 60. But living off my assets just did not feel right. I continued to try to live off my income - which had dropped to £300pm conttributory JSA. I failed but kept trying.

I decide rather than live off my savings I would put them to work. I bought some properties to renovate and let (for cash as I couldn't get a mortgage). I was tranferred to the NEA as I was starting a business, which cut my benefit a bit, but as soon as my first property was let I was making £400pm - still not enough to live on without dipping into my savings.After the seconf onw was let I was making £900pm and the benefit stopped soon after. I could then cover my normal expenses but big yearly bills still required dipping into my savings. With the third property my income jumped to £1500pm which I could live off and even relax the frigality a bit. That made me feel more comfortable.

Next year I will start taking most of my pensions. Two are old ones with GARs so I will take the annuities and live off the income. Two are DB pensions so again will provude an income I can live off. Obe is a small AVC attached to one of the DB pensions which I will rake as a TFLS. The other DB pension is actually a hybrid scheme. I will be taking the DB part, as much tas free as possible and transferring the rest into the flexible scheme I transferred my fibal pension into.

The TFLSs I will mainly use to pay down mortgages I now have, converting them into income. Though I am intending to replace my car which will be 12 years old.

I took a small amount tax free out of my flexible pension last year mainly to pay for my first holiday abroad since I lost my job/ It was also to try to get used to spending more ahead of my income rising. I had intended to repeat that but have been unwell this summer. I may do it early next year.

Changing the financial habits of a lifetime is not easy.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »
    Pretty similar to me and my wife in all honesty, our finances are relatively independent, we divide the mortgage up between us, I pay a little more than half as I earn a little more and I pay most but not all bills, but apart from that we spend our own cash as we choose, the only difference I suppose is that I do pay for life insurance cover for both of us.

I am the more interested in finances of the 2 of us, so can help her out if required, but it is very much my wife's money to do with as she pleases.

It works for us anyway :)

Similar for us too. My wife does the household budgeting, I just transfer across on payday (usually the same amount) that she tells me I need to pay my share. Then pretty much everything we both have left is ours to do with as we please.

With our interest in retiring in a 3-5 year timespan, she is leaving to me the pension planning as it "is too complex to follow, just tell me when, how much and what I need to pay/ sign now".

I could retire this month but am working longer as her provision is dismal compared to my DB scheme. We married only a few years ago so have for our age a large outstanding mortgage, so working a few years more allows us to i) get the mortgage paid down a bit and ii) boost her pensions savings.

Everyone has to work it to how it best works for them, I don't think there is a "right way" to do it.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    Similar for us too. My wife does the household budgeting, I just transfer across on payday (usually the same amount) that she tells me I need to pay my share. Then pretty much everything we both have left is ours to do with as we please.

With our interest in retiring in a 3-5 year timespan, she is leaving to me the pension planning as it "is too complex to follow, just tell me when, how much and what I need to pay/ sign now".

I could retire this month but am working longer as her provision is dismal compared to my DB scheme. We married only a few years ago so have for our age a large outstanding mortgage, so working a few years more allows us to i) get the mortgage paid down a bit and ii) boost her pensions savings.

Everyone has to work it to how it best works for them, I don't think there is a "right way" to do it.

Similar to our situation, only we have no mortgage. I'm the one doing the planning. My partner has started investing, but her pensions are a longer way off than mine.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • MarcusPiercy1970
    Options
    I have a modest state pension from a early period of work but have managed my SIPP fund by DIY investing for years.

You can find out the best performing funds and get investment ideas looking at Trustnet,com and Fundlight.com among others, each week. You can steer clear of the duds, keep diversified, and learn a lot. I don't bother with individual shares, but stick to collective investment funds to reduce the risks.

IFAs are of good use, but not to manage my investments. The only person that cares for my money is ME. You can make sure using providers like Hargreaves Lansdown that you I don't pay upfront fees for each investment.
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband is the main earner. I don't need to work, but I do. We have two small children.
    My (part time) wage just about covers childcare and my discretionary spends but, for me, it is important for me to keep my career going:
    1. I know too many people (mainly women) shafted if their husband leaves
    2. I pay my entire salary into my pension (my husband has 5x the amount of my pension - this needs evening up).
    3. My job has far more potential for part time/ flexible working. My husband is a few years older than me - our plan is for him to retire before me and for me to continue to work part time for a few years to ease us into things (and so I get my full NI credits).

I manage our money (and it is mostly in my name - it started out for tax reasons but now it is admin - he doesn't want to do any of it). However we each get a sum into our sole accounts each month to spend how we please but we also have a joint savings account for larger/ joint spends (such as my husband needing a new work suit/ car repairs etc). I would hate him to think I "controlled" the money. Everything is laid out in a spreadsheet and I have given him a power of attorney in case anything happens to me.

I am doing all this so that he can retire early and I can continue working part time but my husband wants to send our children to private school so that will delay his retirement by about 5 years - his choice!
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • Kit_Katt
    Options
    Great read on this journey and the people following marine life.

For the people that have now retired and the ones close to retirement following the journey what are they feeling about this years declining stock market?

I'm in a money purchase scheme and it's dropped in value over 4% this calendar year.
    Has it deferred any of your plans to retire waiting on market recovery and those who's funds that are in draw down your buckets all a bit lighter will you have to make adjustments to spend levels.?.

Here's hoping the market has bottomed and funds will go back up
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Kit_Katt wrote: »
    I'm in a money purchase scheme and it's dropped in value over 4% this calendar year.
    Has it deferred any of your plans to retire waiting on market recovery and those who's funds that are in draw down your buckets all a bit lighter will you have to make adjustments to spend levels.?.

Anyone who has to reduce spending when funds drop 4% shouldn't have retired just yet (if they had the choice of course)
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kit_Katt wrote: »
    I retired seven months ago with all my funds in a DC pension pot and cash savings. I have set up a "bucket" strategy with more than enough cash and fixed interest savings bonds to last at least 5 years if needed (I could stretch to 10). I have a significant amount still invested and this dropped 4% in the last few days. It's of no concern at all because my retirement strategy is based on not touching this for 5 to 10 years.

I suspect that there will be greater volatility over the next few years and maybe even limited growth so my investments are mainly in less volatile multi-asset funds because I am protecting the funds I have rather than looking for growth. My goal is only to match inflation on the invested funds, anything above that is a bonus.

Like AnotherJoe said, if a 4% drop causes you to change your plans, what will happen when there's a 20% or more drop? Sounds like you need a more robust plan. I am pretty certain there are going to be bigger drops in the next 5 years.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The market drop means that I'm reigning in my spending on petrol, road tax, and parking, but having spent some of my tax free lump sum on a Tesla Model S helps with this. :-)
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback