Customer wants compensation 8 months after hair treatment, threatens about Small Claims Court.

modcalen
modcalen Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 7 February 2019 at 10:05PM in Small biz MoneySaving
I run a small hair salon, and a customer has just come in today complaining about a hair dye treatment she had 8 months ago, she says that it has caused her hair to fall out a few days after the treatment, this is the first time she has contacted me since then, she has presented some pictures showing baldness that she claims are from three days after the treatment, but I can't confirm if they are hers. She's demanding £700 for emotional trauma or that she'll go to small claims court! What are my options here? I'd really appreciate some advice on this predicament. Btw, I have business insurance with public indemnity. Thanks

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    stand your ground
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    It is likely your insurance will come with a helpline number. Suggest you start my asking them if they can advise.
  • Bansky
    Bansky Posts: 237 Forumite
    Where did the figure of £700 come from?
    Was it 'off the top of her head'? :p
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Small Claims Court is for actual financial loss or costs incurred to rectify a mistake or omission by a third party, it is not for "emotional trauma".

So if your hair dye treatment caused a problem, your customer could sue you for the cost of rectifying the problem plus possible associated out of pocket expenses.

If you cannot confirm the pictures were of her head, do you think a judge could decide with any certainty?

If she was not a regular customer, it is most probably a fraudulent claim. Did she give a deadline when the money had to be paid?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2019 at 4:39PM
    She's having you on. No one wouid wait 8 months before raising it as an issue. And she'd need a heck of a sight more proof than a few dodgy photos to take you to court. Correction - she can take you to court for pretty much anything, whether she'd win is an entirely different matter.
    Presuming that you took all the recommended precautions as advised by the manufacturer and don't get your products off the back of a lorry I don't think you have anything to worry about at this stage. Even if the photos are of her, she wouid need to evidence when they were taken, a causal link between the baldness and your treatment and probably an element of negligence on your part.
    Just politely say that you are not intending to pay and leave it at that. Plus as someone else said, check with your insurance so they are forewarned.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your insurance company can investigate and can go into the photograh details
    When,
    What camera,
    time
    Date.

Tell her that..And ask for the original pics to pass on to your ins. People
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Waiting 8m will have severely weakened any case she had, given that the damage allegedly happened within days. Say that you do not admit liability and that no further communication will be entered into. I doubt you'll hear from her again.
    PS: have you checked with your neighbouring salons to see if she's tried this on before?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bansky wrote: »
    Where did the figure of £700 come from?
    Was it 'off the top of her head'? :p
    It's the strangest thing, she just turned up at the salon and demanded £700!
  • If you cannot confirm the pictures were of her head, do you think a judge could decide with any certainty?

If she was not a regular customer, it is most probably a fraudulent claim. Did she give a deadline when the money had to be paid?
    I don't think a judge could do that either, especially since it has been so long, I can't think of a way that could determine any hair loss could be because of a treatment from 8 months ago. She's not a regular, and no deadlines were set by her, just threats for the moment.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    modcalen wrote: »
    It's the strangest thing, she just turned up at the salon and demanded £700!

I wonder how many other sallons have coughted up
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure