British Gas issue

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right section of the forum, apologies if not!

I’m having a bit of trouble with BG so hoping you might have some advice.

Basically a few months back I had a BG engineer do some wiring work for me in my airing cupboard to enable me to get hive. He told me this would be £79 for one hours work.

A few weeks later I got an invoice through for £199. I called BG and explained and the man I spoke to said that was fine, took my payment of £79 on the spot and told me the rest was taken care of.

A few weeks after that I got an invoice reminder to pay my remaining balance which should have no longer existed. I called and The person on the phone told me they’d fix it on the system and that was that.

A few weeks later again, same thing happened and the lady told me that the previous person I’d spoke to hadn’t fixed it properly. It was resolved this time apparently...

A few weeks later again, same thing! At this point I really should have been firmer and maybe got them to send me a letter or something confirming that I owe nothing but I’m a very trust worthy person to my detriment sometimes!

So today I’ve received a letter explaining that I have 7 days to pay or they’re passing my details onto a debt collection agency: this naturally has me worried. I don’t want black marks on my credit file! The letter is actually dated 02/07/2018 so the fact I’ve only received it today is scaring me more because it’s been 7 days!

I’m going to call them first thing in the morning but what is the protocol in situations like these? Is there someone I can complain to about British Gas? If BG do black mark my credit file, can they remove it easily if they finally realise there mistake? I’m at a loss right now.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    I do not have enough experience in this area to make an accurate post, however as a provisional answer until someone else on the forum can provide some guidance:

You should consult Citizens Advice Bureau (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/) who can provide advice and support in this situation. Links to other services such as the Financial Ombudsman can also be made, ensuring there is no foul treatment on the part of British Gas.

If the charges are a mistake and there are adverse markers placed on your credit file, it is still reversible and the creditor can do this, if / when accepting responsibility of the mistaken debt.

If the debt has already been passed to a collection agency, it can still be recalled and any records made to your credit file by them, including any administrative costs can also be removed and voided.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • I’ve had similar issues with BG.

Write to their complaints team and all should be resolved in 48 hours
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Optimusdrew

As advised above you need to make a formal complaint to British Gas, ask for all recovery action to be put on hold while it's being dealt with. You may want to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to see what their records show about the phone calls you made to them disputing this. A SAR requires them to provide information they hold on you within one month.

If you can't resolve the matter you can take your complaint on to the Energy Ombudsman (https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy). The Citizens Advice Consumer Service can also offer assistance in making a complaint against an energy supplier.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure