Complicated, Entitlement to benefit before divorce?

Long story short my mother intends to move out of the family home, leaving her husband there. All the children have grown up.

-Earns approx £185 a week after tax working full time.
-Has a joint mortgage with husband, around £17k left before it is paid off.
-Has small amount of personal savings under £6k

Wants to know how/what help she might recieve should she set herself up in a new home before the house is sold. Or whether it would be better to stay in the mortgaged house (which she really doesn't want to do).

Can she claim housing benefit when she already has a mortgage on another house?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your mother is intending to file for divorce she should see a solicitor as financial arrangements can be complex.
  • She has an appointment this coming wednesday, will they be able to offer advice on what help she can recieve?
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Long story short my mother intends to move out of the family home, leaving her husband there. All the children have grown up.

-Earns approx £185 a week after tax working full time.
    -Has a joint mortgage with husband, around £17k left before it is paid off.
    -Has small amount of personal savings under £6k

Wants to know how/what help she might recieve should she set herself up in a new home before the house is sold. Or whether it would be better to stay in the mortgaged house (which she really doesn't want to do).

Can she claim housing benefit when she already has a mortgage on another house?

It is possible that Housing Benefit can be claimed whilst you mother is in the act of selling the family house. The local authority should be informed and they will advise. You can expect that they will check that your mother is not setting up a situation purely to gain benefits and that there will be a time limit set.
    She should seek expert advice on all aspects of the split up -either with a solicitor, or for example her local CAB who give free advice.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure