Any advice about saving money

Options
On food?
We have a budget of £303.33 per month. £70 a week for 3 people and we have been food prepping and freezing after batch cooking but I want to cut this down. We seem to always spend over and above this:

Also a wee bit bored of the same stuff cooking.

I make spaghetti Bolognese
Lasagne
Macaroni
Curry
Chilli etc

Any ideas

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Where do you typically shop?

Do you plan your meals in advance?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker?

One day a week go veggie (if not already)?

Chicken - never buy pieces, just buy a whole one and joint it then make stock from the bones.

There are loads of ideas on here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • campbell19925
    Options
    Where do you shop?

We used to spend £50 per week at Tesco, switched to Aldi and it costs about £30. That's for 2 of us and that's for meals through the day and every night. Obviously be slightly more for 3 but I would assume no more than £40. This is for fruit, veg,meat and frozen items - and all the essentials including toilet paper and tin foil with a few treats too.
  • Happier_Me
    Happier_Me Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    This has got me thinking what I cook regularly mid week and it tends to be lots of chicken:

Hunters chicken (chicken breasts oven cooked with bacon, Aldi BBQ sauce and cheese)

Wraps (usually filled with a flavoured or crispy chicken salad cheese salsa or coleslaw)

Cajun chicken and pasta

I find if I spend a little more on food we are less tempted with takeaways.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve been really good with takeaways this year. Since January I haven!!!8217;t bought one at all.

It helps because I spend less and eat healthier plus I!!!8217;ve lost considerable weight so all a bonus.

I agree with Aldi/Lidl too it helps keep costs down,
  • Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Pop over to the 'old style' board. They have loads of advise on budgeting food and challenges to keep you on track too.
    Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport