The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Not paid for logging in time

Comments

• The computers and network isn't particularly slow. But we have a bout 5 applications to log in to plus the pc and phone. Average it takes about 5 mins but longer if everyone is logging on at the same time. There are over 5000 staff here.

But they want us logged in before our work start time which i understand. But over the course of a year 5 to 10 mins everyday works out at quite a few hours of unpaid time
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Kiaora73 wrote: »
    There are over 5000 staff here.

Please tell me you're unionised?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • There is a union
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Also

if you have a clocking in/out machine that is a walk from your work space that walk is also work time if you have to use that machine to record your time.

As I implied above the employer should be including this as work time for the purposes of min wage calculations
    They can pay that at a different rate to other work, that rate can be ZERO.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Kiaora73 wrote: »
    There is a union

And you're a member?
  • Kiaora73
    Kiaora73 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Not since i came back to work here
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unfortunate.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    In my work place we have to clock in least ten mins before starting. It!!!8217;s a walk away from the lockers. We have time to put stuff in lockers and we have to turn on the computer and log in at least before work starts. While it!!!8217;s loading up people often sort out their drinks for the morning or have a quick chat.

Also to shut down we just hit the shut down button and one it goes to shutting down page we just leave it to shut down
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-police-win-overtime-pay-for-putting-on-their-uniforms-2026770.html

Shame you're not in the union - they'd be able to quote EU law to them, it was clairified a few years back, link above.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    I used to work in a call center, initially as an agent and then as a supervisor. This sort of thing has never sat right with me to be honest.

BUT, I quite often saw people make waves in this manner and it never ended well for them in the long run:( (though maybe they were just more inclined to making more waves). My attitude was, keep your head down and collect the monthly wage packet. Sure, they were probably doing me out of 10 mins per shift per month (~20 shifts a month = 3.3 hours or roughly £24 after taxes etc) but was that £24 really worth risking a job which was bringing in £1100+ a month?

Not saying it is right, but gotta earn your crust somehow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure