ESA Work Capability assessment. Please help

Options

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Polgara72 wrote: »
    The cut off dates for DLA/PIP are set, not arbitrary and form part of the regulations (possibly legislation) governing those two different benefits.

There is no hard and fast cut off time for evidence, as I stated in a previous reply. Evidence is about its usefulness (or otherwise) in relation to the claim it pertains to.

You are flogging a dead horse.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 11:55PM
    Options
    The cut off dates for DLA/PIP are set, not arbitrary and form part of the regulations (possibly legislation) governing those two different benefits.

There is no hard and fast cut off time for evidence, as I stated in a previous reply. Evidence is about its usefulness (or otherwise) in relation to the claim it pertains to.

But you cannot deny that the DWP have made a point in their instructions that the evidence is not wanted if it is more than 2 years old. To me that is a hard rule - it doesn't go on to say 'give or take a few years or more'

So what you are saying is that reports compiled by various medical professionals - psychiatrist, pain clinic etc etc which are at least 5 years old are valid where because of the type of conditions they are unlikely to change in the long term? But no one knows what medical science will come up with next week, next year?
  • Danday
    Options
    I didn!!!8217;t suggest you could claim that a side effect caused an illness. But, in the case of many psychiatric drugs, they can combine with symptoms of the illness to exacerbate things. For example, I struggle to concentrate. One of my meds impairs my memory. The combination of the two means that my ability to perform simple tasks is more impaired.
    Yes, mix 100mg Morphine, 300mg Pregabalin and 100mg Sertraline the three leaflets that come with the medication tell me that I should be off my head.
    I gave up working from home when I was put on that lot as my brain could not take in anything.

I never thought you could claim for that - it certainly doesn't tell you on the PIP notes. I came off the damn lot without telling my GP but he still prescribes it all. At least I feel fairly normal off that junk.
  • Polgara72
    Polgara72 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    But you cannot deny that the DWP have made a point in their instructions that the evidence is not wanted if it is more than 2 years old. To me that is a hard rule - it doesn't go on to say 'give or take a few years or more'

So what you are saying is that reports compiled by various medical professionals - psychiatrist, pain clinic etc etc which are at least 5 years old are valid where because of the type of conditions they are unlikely to change in the long term? But no one knows what medical science will come up with next week, next year?

It isn’t law. End of story. Yes, documents five years old are sometimes valid because of the type of condition. Global developmental delay, motor neurone disease, quadriplegia - for example - are generally not going to benefit from advances in medical science.

But if you wish to deem two years a hard and fast law, go for it.
  • Polgara72
    Options
    Yes, mix 100mg Morphine, 300mg Pregabalin and 100mg Sertraline the three leaflets that come with the medication tell me that I should be off my head.
    I gave up working from home when I was put on that lot as my brain could not take in anything.

I never thought you could claim for that - it certainly doesn't tell you on the PIP notes. I came off the damn lot without telling my GP but he still prescribes it all. At least I feel fairly normal off that junk.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? The culmulatibe effect of medication on top of the symptoms of the condition which make activities of daily living extremely difficult, has to be taken into account. Why do you think the DVLA has to be informed of certain medications? You cannot claim for medication alone.

If you came off that combination without medical supervision then you’re a fool as well as obtuse. And are wasting valuable NHS resources.

Oh, and FYI, the PILs are not gospel. They are bound to cover all reported side effects.
  • Polgara72
    Options
    bspm1 wrote: »
    You are flogging a dead horse.

So it seems :doh:
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? The culmulatibe effect of medication on top of the symptoms of the condition which make activities of daily living extremely difficult, has to be taken into account. Why do you think the DVLA has to be informed of certain medications? You cannot claim for medication alone.

If you came off that combination without medical supervision then you’re a fool as well as obtuse. And are wasting valuable NHS resources.

Oh, and FYI, the PILs are not gospel. They are bound to cover all reported side effects.
    Flogging a dead horse......so true! Another bit of advice, don't waste your time.
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    I bet he still puts on his claim forms that he takes those medications.

Why else would you continue to get prescriptions for medication you don't take.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 April 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options

Why on earth would you still collect a prescription each month when you don't even take the medication? :eek: I've never heard of anything like it! Wasting all that money! That the NHS could put to good use on something else that someone else clearly needs. This just gets worse!
  • Danday
    Options
    It isn!!!8217;t law. End of story. Yes, documents five years old are sometimes valid because of the type of condition. Global developmental delay, motor neurone disease, quadriplegia - for example - are generally not going to benefit from advances in medical science.

But if you wish to deem two years a hard and fast law, go for it.

I do and have done for all three past PIP applications. I see it that it must mean something if they specify that time limit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure