Taking a Salary Cut and Overpaying my Student Loan

Options
Hi all,

I finished university and started working in an unrelated construction role to my business degree for about a year and a half. In the 17-18 tax year, I was earning around 28k a year. Then half way through the tax year I gained a place on a graduate scheme where my salary started on 18k and has now rose to 20k.

I worked out from my P60 my overall earnings was £22,500 and I should have paid around £135 in loan repayments, but instead from my old pay slips I have paid around £360 in repayments. I have spoke to the student loans and they said I am not entitled to a refund because I earned over the £21,000 threshold and also in my old job i was being paid weekly.

Does this sound right to anyone, I was looking forward to having some sort of refund :(

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I finished university and started working in an unrelated construction role to my business degree for about a year and a half. In the 17-18 tax year, I was earning around 28k a year. Then half way through the tax year I gained a place on a graduate scheme where my salary started on 18k and has now rose to 20k.

I worked out from my P60 my overall earnings was £22,500 and I should have paid around £135 in loan repayments, but instead from my old pay slips I have paid around £360 in repayments. I have spoke to the student loans and they said I am not entitled to a refund because I earned over the £21,000 threshold and also in my old job i was being paid weekly.

Does this sound right to anyone, I was looking forward to having some sort of refund :(

If you are paid weekly then it's 9% over the weekly threshold that's relevant.

The annual threshold is only relevant if you earn under it in total.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure