Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Asimples wrote: »

Purchased near top of line dryer in 2010 from currys. It needed a new thermostat not long after which Hotpoint repaired.

Hotpoint customer support are digging their heels in so we have been left with no choice, we are pursuing a refund under section 75 sales of goods. It was faulty at point of sale so their contract with us is not valid.

Good luck with that since you have had the machine 7 years!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    edited 5 June 2017 at 4:09PM
    Rochelle, your post is confusing.

I would suggest you re-read it and edit it further, as there seems to be repetitive and unnecessary information. But more importantly you have not said what happened to the clothes in the dryer, whether it caught fire (flames) or was just smoking.

You say you had a repair to this dryer. When was this and what was this for?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Rochelle
    Rochelle Posts: 124 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2017 at 6:20PM
    Rochelle, your post is confusing.

I would suggest you re-read it and edit it further, as there seems to be repetitive and unnecessary information. But more importantly you have not said what happened to the clothes in the dryer, whether it caught fire (flames) or was just smoking.

You say you had a repair to this dryer. When was this and what was this for?

Hi sorry I take very high doses of morphine and diagnosed with short term memory loss. No the clothes did not get on fire but it started smoking and when my friend got in she obviously unplugged it and the clothes we're dry completely.
    The repairs I had were just minor repairs I think the last repair was over two years ago and I am sorry I can't tell you what was actually repaired. Would it help if I call Indesit tomorrow and get a list of dates and the work they did on it and get back to you with this info tomorrow.
    Sorry if it was confusing and I posted unnecessary info.
  • lincroft1710
    edited 5 June 2017 at 8:00PM
    No you don't need to phone Indesit. What is worrying is that you have noticed an overheated smell, yet have continued to use the dryer. As there was no damage to your clothes, there is no claim for compensation.

As the machine is 6 years old it was probably getting towards the end of its life, £59 for a new machine does not seem unreasonable. This seems to be the offer that is being made to all affected customers. If your machine had just failed due to age, a new one would cost a lot more than £59.
  • My 12 year old tumble drier is also affected, but what a shockingly badly organised shambles Hotpoint have created. First engineer who came to me hadn't got the bits needed. Second one had the bits but not the tools to fit them. Third visit postponed because they couldn't then get the bits. Fourth one had the bits and the tools but isn't trained to do the mods, so they cancelled. Fifth visit booked for 2 days' time. One of the engineers told me over 3 million machines are affected and they've taken on thousands of engineers to do the mods, but can't keep up. As for Hotpoint charging people for replacements when the fault has caused deaths...they should replace for free and be prosecuted for manslaughter. I am disgusted. The tumble drier has never worked properly since it was a year old and I still pay for extended warranty to cover the 3+ visits a year. Warranty company have refused to write it off, despite promising to do so. Honestly, what a dreadful mess and it's the consumer paying for it...again.
  • Ben1941
    Ben1941 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 1:46PM
    Hotpoint came and 'modified' my condensor drier a couple of months after this first became public knowledge.

I wasn't offered a replacement drier. My drier was bought in 2008/9, and since then I have used it about once or twice a month that's all. So although it's 9yrs old, it's not had the use that a family would have given it. So technically it's about 2yrs old use wise, if that makes sense.

After the repair, which was a couple of years ago now, the drier became very hot at the sides, you couldn't leave your hand on it or you'd burn. I hadn't complained again about it after the modification because I had 4 bereavements and the drier was the least of my concerns at the time.

So I rang Hotpoint again and they arranged for another engineer to come out and check the drier. That was about a month ago now.

When the second engineer came out, he removed the case of the drier and cleaned out the fluff that had gathered inside the machine but outside of the drum. Where I obviously wouldn't have been able to clean.

He commented on how clean the filters were, and I told him that I always cleaned them after each use and that I removed, stripped down and washed the condensor unit to remove any fluff inside that.

I asked him exactly what the 'modification' was when the first engineer called and he said "We put a small screw on the outside of the drum, so as it goes around it catches any fluff outside the drum."

And that's all they do.

He reassured me that the fact my drier now gets red hot on the sides has nothing to do with the modification and is quite normal. He didnt make anything of the fact it didn't get that hot before.

I'm even more nervous of using the drier now, as it still gets red hot on the side panels, yet Hotpoint have said it's been modified and as far as they're concerned it's now safe.

I beg to differ.

What are my rights in trying to get them to replace it with a safer model, I am even prepared to pay the discounted fee, I just want a drier that doesn't get red hot on the outside and I feel confident won't cremate me anytime soon.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ben1941 wrote: »
    Hotpoint came and 'modified' my condensor drier a couple of months after this first became public knowledge.

I wasn't offered a replacement drier. My drier was bought in 2008/9, and since then I have used it about once or twice a month that's all. So although it's 9yrs old, it's not had the use that a family would have given it. So technically it's about 2yrs old use wise, if that makes sense.

After the repair, which was a couple of years ago now, the drier became very hot at the sides, you couldn't leave your hand on it or you'd burn. I hadn't complained again about it after the modification because I had 4 bereavements and the drier was the least of my concerns at the time.

So I rang Hotpoint again and they arranged for another engineer to come out and check the drier. That was about a month ago now.

When the second engineer came out, he removed the case of the drier and cleaned out the fluff that had gathered inside the machine but outside of the drum. Where I obviously wouldn't have been able to clean.

He commented on how clean the filters were, and I told him that I always cleaned them after each use and that I removed, stripped down and washed the condensor unit to remove any fluff inside that.

I asked him exactly what the 'modification' was when the first engineer called and he said "We put a small screw on the outside of the drum, so as it goes around it catches any fluff outside the drum."

And that's all they do.

He reassured me that the fact my drier now gets red hot on the sides has nothing to do with the modification and is quite normal. He didnt make anything of the fact it didn't get that hot before.

I'm even more nervous of using the drier now, as it still gets red hot on the side panels, yet Hotpoint have said it's been modified and as far as they're concerned it's now safe.

I beg to differ.

What are my rights in trying to get them to replace it with a safer model, I am even prepared to pay the discounted fee, I just want a drier that doesn't get red hot on the outside and I feel confident won't cremate me anytime soon.
    As your dryer is now nine years old, I am sorry to say that you no longer have any rights to a remedy from the seller.

As the engineer has decided that it is perfectly safe, I suggest Whirlpool owe you nothing more.

If you no longer wish to use your nine year old dryer, perhaps for peace of mind it's time for you to buy a new one.
  • I had one of the 'risky' ones, and after about 18 months of not fixing it, they offered me a new one for £99, which I accepted (condenser).

I don't think the replacement one was actually faulty, but it was pretty hopeless - inefficient, noisy and too ages to dry things.

After 6 months, I gave up. Dumped that one and went out and bought a Bush condenser dryer.

Great tumble dryer, but a shame, because prior to this I was a Hotpoint fan and bought a lot of their goods.

Their customer service with all this has been appalling - makers should immediately replace items they know are at risk of catching fire.

Hopefully, after that tower block fire last week (thought to be have been caused by a faulty fridge, although not a Hotpoint, ) there will be some meaningful legislation bought out about replacing goods with a risky manufacturing fault.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    TLDR.....wasn't it the case that the units were all fine it was just the muppet owners who didn't empty the lint/fluff filters that led to the problems???
    I might be wrong....and therefore feel free to correct me [preferably with a link...]
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've come to this news item quite late. We bought a house last year and all the appliances stayed with it.

The dryer is an Indesit and one of the model's affected with this fire issue. It definitely has no green stickers on it. I thought we had the receipt from the previous home owner, but cannot find it.
    Will that affect any course of action I attempt with the manufacturer?

Our goal is a "cash settlement" - no repair or replacement. Would that possible? And if not, how?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport