Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Hi, I wondered if you could offer your advice.

I am a mature student, planning to start a HE access course in September for a 2018 university entry.

In the last few months I have had an offer from a friend to go travelling in China - and to learn Chinese (something that interests me) - the duration would be 3-4 years while my friend works there. During this time I would not be working, would be travelling a lot. I would not have residence and would effectively have something similar to a student or tourist visa. I would also still be registered at a UK residence (parents house) on the electoral roll etc and it would really be a 3-4 year holiday.

On my return I would then do my HE course.. but would I ineligible for student finance for my university course the following year?

I have to make a decision in the next few weeks but I don't want to go if it would mean I would have to wait 3 years after my return before I could go do my university course.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    masley123 wrote: »
    Hi, I wondered if you could offer your advice.

I am a mature student, planning to start a HE access course in September for a 2018 university entry.

In the last few months I have had an offer from a friend to go travelling in China - and to learn Chinese (something that interests me) - the duration would be 3-4 years while my friend works there. During this time I would not be working, would be travelling a lot. I would not have residence and would effectively have something similar to a student or tourist visa. I would also still be registered at a UK residence (parents house) on the electoral roll etc and it would really be a 3-4 year holiday.

On my return I would then do my HE course.. but would I ineligible for student finance for my university course the following year?

I have to make a decision in the next few weeks but I don't want to go if it would mean I would have to wait 3 years after my return before I could go do my university course.

Thanks

You wouldn't be eligible for 3 years because you were not living in the uk. Hardly a 3 year holiday.
  • masley123
    masley123 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 March 2017 at 12:48PM
    i would not be working, just travelling. How do gap year students remain eligible? What I plan to do is no different from them except it would be 3 years in length instead of 1.

My teacher at my local college has told me I should just apply in 3 years time and not mention the fact I was not in the country, as I would still be paying UK tax through self assessment during that time. I guess there is no way they could know I was overseas

Is it possible to apply for student finance whilst part way through a degree? With the savings I would have left + the money I save in the year whilst I work doing my HE, I could possibly save enough to cover years 1 and 2 tuition fees. Would I then be able to apply for student finance in the 3rd year as I crossed the 3 year residency point? Or must it be done from the start of the degree?
  • Dear slcworker,

Please could I have some help with an issue I have with SLC.
  • Hi, Could you please advise if student loans would have to be paid back from an inheritance?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi, Could you please advise if student loans would have to be paid back from an inheritance?

Newer style loans are paid back according to your income, as monitored by hmrc, so inheritance wouldn't require a payback.

Whether you choose to make a voluntary payment, to avoid future interest charges, depends on your view of your likely earnings.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • The residency rules apply from the first year of your course, so applying for finance in year 3 isn' a way around the rules.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • DIGGY wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone please clarify when you have overpaid on your student loan repayments? My understanding is that we pay back 9% of anything earned over the yearly threshold. I am sometimes paid weekly/monthly and am a mixture of under or over the weekly/monthly threshold amounts - however I thought you were entitled to a refund at the end of the year and upon request of anything overpaid. No I know you are entitled to an automatic refund if you earn under the threshold but I thought they could only take 9% of the difference. I hope this is making sense. But SLC are saying yes they agree I have paid over 9% but because I earned over the threshold not entitled to a refund. They have refunded a year when I earned under the threshold.

eg 13/14 tax year. Threshold was £16,365 earnings were £18,130. SO I should only pay 9% on the difference which would be £1765 which would be £158.85...SLC took in total £772.

SLC are saying because I get paid weekly/monthly and don't have an annual salary and also because I earned over the threshold no refund is due.

I have read all the articles and even their website which states....
    "If your income is equal to or below £17,495 in any one tax year, you will be entitled to apply to us at the end of that tax year for a refund of your student loan repayments if you wish."

I understand that on some months I earned over the threshold and in others earned nothing at all but surely it has to be taken over your annual salary? Or do they have a get out clause tut.

Thanks for any input or advice.
    Have you tried putting in a claim based on financial hardship? You have overpaid and if you were self-employed you would have paid less. The clumsy calculation system does not adjust for irregular earnings. Let us know how you get on?
  • Hi!

I've just received a refund for overpayment of my student loan (hooray!). What I'm wondering about is if I have to declare this as income on my tax self assessment? My google fu is weak today and I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
  • Are you please able to give me any advice on where I can apply for a tuition fee loan for an international student who wants to study in England
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback