Fostering Niece & Nephew -Can Finances Cope?

Comments

• fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    The ammount is different for each Local Aurothity, in my Sister in laws case her neice is being considered for adoption and is a looked after child in foster care now but because two family relatives want to have the child this is the amount that they will be paid. It is more because she is 3 years old and will be classed as having had a very difficult first three years of her life and therefore extra expences are paid. With this fee they wont get child benifit they have been told. The amounts you have quoted is the minumum amount they have to pay but most pay alot more than this
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Zara, where in Scotland are you? Under the new legislation that the scottish parliament brought in you may be able to keep getting kinship carers allowance
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    fabwitch wrote: »
    The ammount is different for each Local Aurothity, in my Sister in laws case her neice is being considered for adoption and is a looked after child in foster care now but because two family relatives want to have the child this is the amount that they will be paid. It is more because she is 3 years old and will be classed as having had a very difficult first three years of her life and therefore extra expences are paid. With this fee they wont get child benifit they have been told. The amounts you have quoted is the minumum amount they have to pay but most pay alot more than this
    I appreciate that each authority is different but i was and to be honest am very naive when it comes to social services and fostering etc my nephew came to me when he was 3 years old after a child protection order was issued he did spend a few weeks in foster care then i became his carer. Every child that is removed from a birth parent has been removed because of difficult situations so i still can't understand why your niece is any different to my nephew ( not being stroppy) trying to understand how things are so different for each case.
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • Zara33
    Engadine wrote: »
    Zara, where in Scotland are you? Under the new legislation that the scottish parliament brought in you may be able to keep getting kinship carers allowance
    I'm in the Highlands.
    Hit the snitch button!
    Feel the love baby!
  • Zara33
    http://www.grandparentsasparents.org.uk/upload/viewtopic.php?id=126

Found this not sure if this will help the op or any others.

Fabwitch i seriously hope i have not offended you...that was not my intention :( just trying to understand the minefield that is social services.
    Hit the snitch button!
    Feel the love baby!
  • Engadine
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    It would be so much easier if there was a set policy country wide rather than each council being able to do what they want

• fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    No offence taking, Local Authoritys are a nightmare and in our case the Authority took the child away from a relatitive where she was safe and put with a relatitive who we told them would abuse her. They said we couldnt have her as she needed to be in the same area as her parents. Four months later after many injuries and SA she was moved. We have written so many letters of complaint but each time get the responce under the child protection act we do not have to discuss this matter with you. All we want is for our neice to be safe. Well done for taking your Nephew, I hope you get some financial support sorted soon
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    All Local Authorities will pay differing rates - it will largely depend upon their Council funding, budgets & finances.

I suggest that you look on your council's website, or speak to the social worker - it won't be the first time they have been asked the question about financial support, and as we all know, kids are not cheap to feed, never mind to clothe & provide everything else they need.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    £450 per week will be a professional fostering payment which will be taxable. It's paid to thos who foster the more damaged and challenging children who require a great deal of imput which makes holding a job impossible. It's not the same as the ordinary fostering allowances which are paid to cover a child's expenses and are not taxable.
  • Engadine
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    fabwitch wrote: »
    No offence taking, Local Authoritys are a nightmare and in our case the Authority took the child away from a relatitive where she was safe and put with a relatitive who we told them would abuse her. They said we couldnt have her as she needed to be in the same area as her parents. Four months later after many injuries and SA she was moved. We have written so many letters of complaint but each time get the responce under the child protection act we do not have to discuss this matter with you. All we want is for our neice to be safe. Well done for taking your Nephew, I hope you get some financial support sorted soon

Couldn't agree more! We were left high and dry and no help offered, they didn't think my niece was at risk being left with her father and refused to apply for a an emergency child protection order. The very next day when her father was up in court for neglecting her the sheriff obviously thought that she should be protected and part of his bail conditions were that he was not allowed to try to contact my niece, my parents or I or go near my parents house or her school!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport