Affordable family holidays

Options
Runningfast
Runningfast Posts: 224 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
What are peoples tips for finding/putting together an affordable/reasonably priced family holiday (school age child).

Unfortunately, if we want a holiday this year I have to pay for it.

A 2 week all inclusive on a greek Island in August isn't going to happen on my budget but there has to be other options out there. (I hope)

Our main aim is chilling out as family in the sun. We did a UK holiday last year but it never really felt like a real holiday, it was all very familiar.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And what is your budget?
  • Runningfast
    edited 21 January 2019 at 11:09PM
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    And what is your budget?

up to £1000 (transport and accommodation for 3 - 2 adults and 1 child)

I'd happily camp using the tent as accommodation only and then spend the days and evenings out ( i have done that many times over the years but trying to sell that idea to my gf isn't easy. I think camping in the UK hasn't helped..we do seem to pick the worst weather weeks!!).

I remember camping holidays to the Alps (campsites not holiday parks) and spending the days swimming in rivers and lakes, walking the hills and forests, exploring small Alpine villages. Getting on local buses to nearest towns for meals in restaurants. Just not sure I can sell that idea to my gf though lol. Why I am seeing what other things are available.

Main aim is warm weather, sun and chilling out.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd recommend Turkey. The weather is amazing and exchange rate is good. I don't have small children so you'd need advice on somewhere child friendly.

Incidentally, when you said if you want a holiday you'll have to pay for it. Who normally pays for your holiday? I'm curious.
  • Runningfast
    edited 22 January 2019 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Just checked the Alpine campsite I visited growing up (last time i visited was 2003) it is still only 7 Euro per person per night. It is one option and I loved that place, think I will be throwing on the charm and trying to sweet talk her over the next few weeks lol.

Looking at flights and train/bus prices from the airport it is well within budget (extra spending money)
  • Runningfast
    edited 22 January 2019 at 12:01AM
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'd recommend Turkey. The weather is amazing and exchange rate is good. I don't have small children so you'd need advice on somewhere child friendly.

Incidentally, when you said if you want a holiday you'll have to pay for it. Who normally pays for your holiday? I'm curious.

Me... Relationship reasons. My comment was basically saying if we want to go away this year I need to find the money and can only work on my available budget.

I would love to take them on a Greek Island holiday or to Florida etc. but I just simply can't afford that. We have just come back from a long weekend away in this Country but we want sun and relaxing in the summer months.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at Eurocamp maybe? Or a similar company.
    Tents are the cheapest option but vans aren't too bad either. Certainly cheaper than hotels x
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or take your chances with a last minute deal?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Look at the second half of August - in a lot of Europe the schools go back mid August so late August can be cheap.

Look at booking flights/hotels separately rather than a package - packages generally are expensive in the school holidays (though you can get good deals).

Consider driving to eg France, Brittany, Vendee etc, maybe look at Eurocamp but also look at booking campsites direct - a static caravan is usually better value than a hotel with a family and IMO better as well

Where are you? If north of England, consider flying from Scotland - schools are back mid Aug in Scotland so it's off peak late Aug.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure