PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews???

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cupcake85 wrote: »
    The persimmon site closest to me we looked at and it seemed ok, a friend brought Charles church who are part of persimmon

Aren't Church the 'premium' brand, though, in the same way that a Lexus is a premium Toyota?

So you'd expect them to be finished better, because they cost X% more....
  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    How many are still like that though? That was part of my point; I'd rather spend the extra cost of a new build on something that's been reworked, from whatever era.

The person who bought my 1930s semi got a much larger kitchen than the original + a utility room and downstairs cloaks.

The small bedroom also wasn't any smaller than the one in the noughties house which my daughter lives in now.

But the 'pig in a poke' comment was as much to do with the social make-up of established areas of housing....and the way that builders can make significant alterations to plans, seemingly on a whim.

Depends on your budget but I'd say at least 70-80% that I looked at. After buying the house I'd then have to spend thousands fixing issues like electrics and boiler, knocking walls down or building an extension.

The social makeup of all areas changes, you've got just as much chance of a nightmare neighbour moving next door as you do in a new build estate. Yes the builder do sometimes change plans, but then the house down the road can also have extensions, the council can change the roads, open spaces can be bought and changed into houses.
  • I have just brought a Persimmon Home in the South West (Bristol). It's been one of the worst experiences of my life and has seriously affected our first home buying experience.
    Firstly, the house was handed over to us with the keys unfinished. There were holes in the floor, plaster splatted across the floor and on the skirtings, there were marks all over the walls, our newly fitted kitchen was chipped and marked, there were holes that had been filled with plaster and then not rubbed down or painted on - it was a state!
    I gave them an opportunity to put all of these errors right by taking the Sales Advisor and Site Manager round the house. I highlighted all problems and said this needed to be completed by the end of the week as we were having our flooring fitted - that we were paying for ourselves! I did not want people coming into the house to finish any work after the flooring had been put down - which I thought was more than understandable. Due to my lack of faith and trust within the company, I hired a professional snagger to come and snag our house. He took the site Manager round the house and the list only grew longer, he was also complying with NHBC standards and was standing 2 metres away to notice any problems/errors.
    Both myself and the snagger reiterated this needed completing by the end of the week due to the flooring being fitted the following week.
    I arrived at the house on the last day to find out only half the list had been completed. I was furious, that we gave them already two chances to put this house right!! There were still holes in the floor, the skirting's were still terrible and there was still lumps of plaster on the floor, which would interfere with our flooring being fitted! We took measures into our own hands and paid prior the floor to be latexes ourselves - which they didn't fund us for. We were devastated to find our house had not been completed and our flooring was booked to go ahead.
    I then sent an email complaining to the Managing Director and Sales Manager and attached photos of house the house was handed over to us. I received an automatic reply confirming I'd receive a response within 15 days - as if I hadn't been trying to sort this out for 3 weeks already!!
    15 days came and I STILL didn't receive a response, to which I emailed again. I finally had a response and had a telephone conversation with the Sales Manager who thoroughly apologised on behalf of the company. She arranged for herself to come out and see us along with the Contracts Manager - which was great.
    They arrived at the house and I took them round and highlighted my problems. I did inform the Sales Manager that you couldn't see most the problems now our flooring was down and our furniture was in - it was too late...my problem was I gave them numerous occasions, numerous chances and lists of things to put right and it was never completed as promised on the agreed deadline. All they could do was apologise and they offered dot paint the house again, in which I was infuriated by as I highlighted the importance of the house being completed prior to the flooring be put down numerous of times!
    That is all they had to offer for the extremely poor level of service they have given us.
    I do not recommend Persimmon homes properties, the paint finish on the house was extremely poor, the house wasn't cleaned before it was handed over to us and they make false promises. I can't believe the amount of money we paid and we received a totally unacceptable service.
    Your much better off paying the extra and going through Taylor Wimpey, the houses are much nicer and the quality of service and painting and their specs are much better!
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    I've just bought a 1930s semi, the chimney breasts make character, as do the picture rails and other original features. It's not damp or problematic it's been well maintained and we will carry that on, 2 big double bedrooms and a small single is fine by us. Big windows make it light and airy to be honest. Any house of any age can be whatever you want if you put soul/your own stamp into it. I'm glad people don't like all the same types , it would make it even more difficult to get what you wanted!
  • We have just reserved a Leith house from Persimmons (200k) and all these stories are giving me nightmares! Too many what ifs, but I want to give them a chance :o

I'm always reading that every building company will have their own snags and you always hear about run negatives, never the positives!

Urghhh, have I made the right decision...
  • I have also reserved a persimmon. My friend bought one 5 years ago, she had a few issue to begin with but seems happy overall. Im happy so far with everything. Fingers crossed we don't get too many issues
    :T
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    why are people so happy to spend hundreds of thousands on a house they have never seen or tried before, once you step through the door, the place has lost thousands already in value.

Not worth the risk tbh

if you bought one and has problems and they are still building new houses, out a flag outside saying 'Don't buy Persimmon' and they will start listening as potential buyers will be put off.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tylerae95 wrote: »
    I have just brought a Persimmon Home in the South West (Bristol).

Bought,,bought.....
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Out of all the builders Persimmon are generally the worst and most of their houses are timber framed pre fans.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 September 2017 at 9:47AM
    in 2016 we bought a two-year old two-bed Persimmon flat as an investment property.

There is nothing wrong with it, it is immaculate. If there was anything wrong, the previous owner must have had it done.

The estate is still being built and the road outside the flat is not made up to the finished standard because of constructor's traffic, but we are assured it will be when all is complete.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback